Corona Virus Disease/(SARS-CoV-2) II

CECAA850

On 11/6/2020 at 6:26 AM, tube fanatic said:

How long will it be until surveillance cameras are installed on every street to monitor what we do?  

People are installing them willingly:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/police-are-tapping-into-residents-ring-doorbells-and-home-security-cameras-to-stream-24-7-live-video/ar-BB1aT7YR?ocid=msedgntp

• Confused 1

• Moderators
20 hours ago, oldtimer said:

There have been cases of reinfection some even leading to death of the patient.  Herd immunity from what I can tell is a lie.  Covid is the same type of virus that gives people colds.  How many of us have had a cold?  Did we eventually get another one?  Everyone knows that if you have had a cold you are not immune to getting another one in the future.  Musing..

Here is some more complete information to help with your musing.

I believe there are 5 cases of reinfection worldwide, one in the US (Reno, Nevada). The Lancet paper on the Reno case didn't mention any deaths associated with the 2 cases where symptoms were worse, 3 of the cases their symptoms were less severe. The Lancet article was from a couple of weeks ago so that may have changed. To reach herd immunity you need either survivors with immunity or people vaccinated with an effective vaccination in sufficient numbers to reach head immunity, or a combination of the two of those things. All indications are that people develop immunity after being exposed, the length of immunity is something that is going to take more time to pin down. One out of over a million (and growing) is pretty encouraging news. 

HRV viruses are the most common cause of colds (50 to 80%). There are 4 coronaviruses associated with colds, they make up about 15%, two of those are mostly in children under 5. There are over 100 types of HRV viruses alone. The fact that we all get the common cold, repeatedly, doesn't equate to anything relevant to Covid-19. Covid 19 is caused by one, and only one virus, that happens to be a novel betacoronavirus. There is a lot of misunderstanding in the media about the relationship between "coronavirus" and the common cold, combined with some bizarre analogies early on in some media circles that tried to equate Covid-19 with "a really bad cold."

We don't keep getting the same HCov cold year after year (reinfection), we keep running across new HRV viruses, year after year. This is why there is no "cold vaccine". We have valent vaccines (that target multiple viruses) that are up to about 25 (pneumonia vaccine for example), but it isn't even going to get you close to being protected when there are over 100 types of just HRV floating around that cause 50% to 80% of colds. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, dwilawyer said:

Both my parents tested positive, 89 and 81, and they live with us.

Interesting challenges ahead.

All the best...Heard from my doctor recently are both her parents 85 and doing well with their infection.

Hoping for the same.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, dwilawyer said:

Both my parents tested positive, 89 and 81, and they live with us.

2 hours ago, billybob said:

All the best...Heard from my doctor recently are both her parents 85 and doing well with their infection.

Hoping for the same.

Sending good karma your way and Godspeed in their recovery. 

• Like 1

• Moderators
8 hours ago, Jeff Matthews said:

Prayers your way, Travis!  Are they doing okay at the moment?

My mom is great, she seems to think that the doctor told her that he thinks she got it from food, and that if transmission is "gastric" it is much less severe. I'm chalking that up to some kind of misunderstanding on her part. She has them both on a Zinc/B3 something else cocktail.

My dad has a slight cough, and has been depressed all day.

Sent my wife and son to Casa 2, as I haven't been able to formulate a plan that would keep everyone safe. They just can't hole up in their room, leave a tray, pick up a tray. I think they will start to perk up tomorrow. Although I have parked a truck in front of their garage slot.

Thank you for asking, and thanks to everyone for their thoughts and prayers. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, dwilawyer said:

My mom is great, she seems to think that the doctor told her that he thinks she got it from food, and that if transmission is "gastric" it is much less severe. I'm chalking that up to some kind of misunderstanding on her part. She has them both on a Zinc/B3 something else cocktail.

My dad has a slight cough, and has been depressed all day.

Sent my wife and son to Casa 2, as I haven't been able to formulate a plan that would keep everyone safe. They just can't hole up in their room, leave a tray, pick up a tray. I think they will start to perk up tomorrow. Although I have parked a truck in front of their garage slot.

Thank you for asking, and thanks to everyone for their thoughts and prayers. 

How’s it going? I knew one person who got covid19 from food and his course was less respiratory in presentation. Hope you have some help there as you’re sort of running a clinical setting now. If you don’t have one get a pulse oximeter and see if they’ll prescribe home oxygen now so you’ll have it if you need it. Did the docs give you any sort of care plan or action plan?

• Like 3

Sincere concerns for those that have family members that are positive, for what it's worth, I don't want to see anyone get this, but it's everywhere.  Waiting for them to cancel my shoulder surgery in a couple weeks, I hope not, but that is my expectation at this point.  

• Like 2