Corona Virus Disease/(SARS-CoV-2) II

CECAA850

Lowest seen so far is an antigen test that is quick with around 80 percent accuracy for approximately $30 per test. We need these mass produced from more than 1 or 2 non subscription needed to cut prices by half and more. Some say this needed over the long haul to defeat virus. A bit late but coming finally.

Home tests have one huge problem. They rely upon the individual to be interested enough to participate in such tests at any cost. We can’t get people to wear cheap masks. What is needed is a breath test for covid19. This could be administered as a requisite to travel or even enter a store. They could run regional tests like they do for drunk drivers. They are working on breath tests.....

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-54718848

7 minutes ago, Jeff Matthews said:

Why continue to worry about testing if the vaccines are going to work?

Because not everyone will get vaccinated and the vaccinations will likely not confer permanent immunity. We need a quick and fool proof way to contain and stop a new break out before it spreads.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The development was a culmination of 17 years of work regarding corona viruses.  You might think of it as an "overnight sensation" of someone who had been working hard all of their lives.  It couldn't have happened so quickly without all of the ground work.  Plus, normally, the next step would have been a round of extensive studies but because of the problem they are approved now under emergency use rules.

• Thanks 1

Having been there when they went public, Noven Pharmaceuticals was telling us in their literature that one of their goals was to create a credit card sized "test strip".  The card would test for various issues (I suppose you can have them in different formats)...  and you essentially licked the card.  Waited....  and after "X" minutes (hours?) the dot would turn green, red, something to indicate an initial positive or negative for whatever was being tested.

Sounded like an interesting idea.  Not sure that anything ever came of it and now, when I see some of their 'history' I don't see any reference to that.

(didn't dig too deep, just recalled name and did internet search....  I've not heard of nor watched this stock at all over the last 30+ years.

https://www.noven.com/about/history/

Would be nice if they could go back to the credit card test strip and make it test for the covid.

1 hour ago, CECAA850 said:

We take our temperature every day prior to leaving for work.  Its certainly not fool proof or definitive but we feel like we're at least doing something. 

We do the same thing at work to ourselves and everyone who enters our Business's main area, along with mandatory hand sanitizer and bleach-spraying the equipment and chairs between gatherings...That said, evidently folks' temp rising evidently comes about usually a few days after the person could be potential spreaders and all of the sanitizing works marginally because the virus is airborne Imo, the biggest thing we've done to keep the potential of spread down is try and practice social distancing while wearing masks. 

12 minutes ago, Zen Traveler said:

, the biggest thing we've done to keep the potential of spread down is try and practice social distancing while wearing masks. 

We do that whenever possible as well. Some businesses do a better job than others with their in store policies.  My work is horrible in that regard but I don't make the rules.