Corona Virus Disease/(SARS-CoV-2) II

CECAA850

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Marvel said:

Our organization is able to get one of the vaccines any time from the county. One of my co-workers went today and it only took about 5-10 minutes. Wife and I will go tomorrow. They have the Moderna vaccine. I would get whichever they have available.

My sister got it a week ago, my wife got it last week, my son and I got it today. (All Moderna).

Should be zero hesitation to get it when you can.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bosco-d-gama said:

The media generally had and sustained and groomed a hostile relationship with the Prex from the outset of the covid19 outbreak.

Wait. You seem to be blaming one side when in fact "Prex" was part of "the media" and in fact was a participant ever since he was elected by Twitter and bashing them at every juncture. He is a Media personality who was elected because of his influence on the media. 

Rather than working to evolve a cohesive public health response all parties (Prex included) bantered and polarized every nuanced issue.

This is where you are wrong, imo. The "Prex" has a bully pulpit and a responsibility that the media doesn't cohesively have. 

Consequently covid19 became politicized and this clearly has greatly exacerbated the pandemic.

I'll leave it here as not to go over the line but I predict one of the lessons learned from this pandemic will come up in various reports and all will show leadership was lacking and the CDC guidelines should've been implemented all along the way. That's my take and check out the PBS Frontline episode on the pandemic back in March which looks prophetic in the rear-view mirror.

The media intentionally chose to look for and exploit weaknesses and the Prex was/is a political novice (AKA an easy target).

What???? He was the ELECTED President of the United States and is no "political novice," when you look back at how much he has participated in the last 20 years in the Game of Politics.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jeff Matthews said:

Right again.  I've read we should expect a surge through January and the first couple of weeks in February.  After that, hopefully it begins to ratchet down, especially due to administration of the vaccines to the most vulnerable.  If we can keep them out of hospitals, things should begin to open up.

It appears that elected officials and a large amount of the public still had gatherings that will keep numbers rising-- until that time and it will be interesting to see how countries who actually locked down fared...I'm not saying I was for that extreme, but....

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Zen Traveler said:

it will be interesting to see how countries who actually locked down fared...I'm not saying I was for that extreme, but....

this doesn't answer your question; but I read an article in the BBC that was dated this past July about Sweden. They weren't one of the lockdown countries and didn't fare very well and had one of the highest infection rates in the EU, and they're a relatively small country. .  the report indicated that they're doing better and they suggested that it may be due to the fact that the population is not suffering from COVID fatigue as other nations are.  I watched a video of a guy from Wales that went to Sweden to avoid the lockdown in Wales. and he asked the Swede about COVID and the guy said "That's not something that we talk about."  They were aware of it; but didn't focus on it. 

• Sad 1

I hope that we can learn from the experience but.............. who knows. Everything has gotten so idiotic. If I can ask a favor......   when you say ‘the odds of dying are very low’ qualify the statement by adding that with the best modern medicine can give those odds are low. And when the medical systems get overwhelmed they do not work their best. And they are becoming very fragile in many places right this minute. I am very concerned about the next several months.

What is the case load in hospitals out there with room shortages from having to treat people who are not legal citizens? How much effect has that had on things?

• Moderators

I'm not optimistic at all. The variant B

1.1.7 is already in the US and appears to have an R naught of 1.5 to 1.7 vs. an R. naught of what we have been dealing with since the start of 1.1. We were extreamly lucky it was so so low, it allowed things to open back up.

There are online epidemiology calculators that will show you the difference between an R naught of 1.1 and 1.5, and it's dramatic. It will shift percentage needed for herd immunity upward, possibly above 80%. Which could cause federal govt. to not make vaccination optional except in a few, very limited, medical conditions.

If we do have a bug out there with an R0 of 1.7 like some are saying, we.will have large scale lockdowns, that will remain until you show proof of vaccination. 

• Moderators
19 minutes ago, Dave A said:

What is the case load in hospitals out there with room shortages from having to treat people who are not legal citizens? How much effect has that had on things?

Well why would that matter? They are required to treat them under Federal law. But they typically don't seek any medical treatment out of fear. 

I'm thinking the much bigger drain is US citizens and permamanet residents.with no insurance, those who refuse to social distance and wear masks,. and refuse to avoid large gatherings causing super spreder events. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dave A said:

The only thing I know for certain about illegals from the south is that they tend to live in high density circumstances which has never been compatible with an infectious disease.

• Like 1

On 12/29/2020 at 10:52 PM, dwilawyer said:

Well why would that matter? They are required to treat them under Federal law. But they typically don't seek any medical treatment out of fear. 

I'm thinking the much bigger drain is US citizens and permamanet residents.with no insurance, those who refuse to social distance and wear masks,. and refuse to avoid large gatherings causing super spreder events. 

Well it matters because there is a finite amount of legal taxpayer collected money to be spent on taking care of legal American citizens. The point I am making is the severity of the problem in California may indeed be self inflicted because of the take care of the world mentality out there. I suspect they have not built enough beds or hospitals to keep up with population increase and have made promises to take care of far more than they have money or capacity for. South Dakota might be a place to consider as a contrast.

1 minute ago, Dave A said:

Well it matters because there is a finite amount of legal taxpayer collected money to be spent on taking care of legal American citizens. The point I am making is the severity of the problem in California may indeed be self inflicted because of the take care of the world mentality out there. I suspect they have not built enough beds or hospitals to keep up with population increase and have made promises to take care of far more than they have money or capacity for. South Dakota might be a place to consider as a contrast.

It's California's fault?  Maybe they should deny all of them medical care and just let them run the streets infecting others until they die.

10 hours ago, dwilawyer said:

I'm not optimistic at all. The variant B

1.1.7 is already in the US and appears to have an R naught of 1.5 to 1.7 vs. an R. naught of what we have been dealing with since the start of 1.1. We were extreamly lucky it was so so low, it allowed things to open back up.

There are online epidemiology calculators that will show you the difference between an R naught of 1.1 and 1.5, and it's dramatic. It will shift percentage needed for herd immunity upward, possibly above 80%. Which could cause federal govt. to not make vaccination optional except in a few, very limited, medical conditions.

If we do have a bug out there with an R0 of 1.7 like some are saying, we.will have large scale lockdowns, that will remain until you show proof of vaccination. 

I've heard that it's more contagious as well.  In addition, the current strain seems to be affecting 20 to 30 year olds at a higher rate now than before.

• Moderators
19 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

I've heard that it's more contagious as well.  In addition, the current strain seems to be affecting 20 to 30 year olds at a higher rate now than before.

I hadn't heard that, need to look at the age thing more.

By the way, I made same mistake also. The media is loose with terminology. A "strain" is a major difference in viruses- like SARS-Covid-1 and SARS-Covid-2. Similar structure, significantly different.DNA (thus vaccine for one is little or not help for the other.

B.1.1.7 is a variant, same virus with 17 different mutations, two are in the spike protein.