Corona Virus Disease/(SARS-CoV-2) II

CECAA850

It is from an odd resource but a nice overview of covid19 related cardiac damage in healthy athletes. This is important to comprehend. Way too many non-elderly people feel that covid19 is a new but benign virus. It won’t kill them. Covid19 is only lethal for the infirm and the elderly. In actuality covid19 is impacting everyone who contracts the disease. The papers summarized here look only at cardiac damage but other organ systems are as well affected. It’s not clear how these damages will impact health status later in life but their existence is clear and it is ominous. Covid19 could be seeding a plethora of latent health conditions. This underscores the need to quash covid19 urgently. 

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2021/1/2/22209765/report-heart-damage-found-athletes-suffered-mild-cases-covid-19-ufc

• Thanks 1

Here’s an interesting article on an effort to study other diseases that exist in nature which may pose future potential for another, and perhaps much worse, pandemic. The effort/subject/topic is in itself clearly of importance but what’s also noteworthy is that the WHO is not mentioned as part of this endeavor once again raising questions about it’s relevance. The WHO failed horribly to manage covid19 though it was clearly hamstrung by China. We need efforts like the those mentioned in this article and we need quicker actions from every country all over the planet. As much as we dislike/fear covid19 there’s real potential for a new virus that would make covid19 look pleasant. As the world population grows it encroaches further into the wilds where these novel viruses exist naturally. EBOLA and AIDS are 2 other examples of diseases brought on humanity in this manner. We can study them in advance or await them as they emerge. We did not do so well with covid19. Most of this blame lies with China where quicker response could’ve ended covid19 at its headwaters. Once loose covid19 spread was inevitable. The only question was how fast it was going to spread. Again the WHO dropped that ball when it should’ve been commanding the project. The vaccines are humanities shining star/silver lining. But we’ve got to do better in the future. For me, I believe the WHO needs a serious overhaul in this regard.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/heading-off-the-next-pandemic

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bosco-d-gama said:

But we’ve got to do better in the future. For me, I believe the WHO needs a serious overhaul in this regard.

Fwiw, I think mistakes were made early on in our own government, here and holding those accountable abroad, and that should be analyzed as well. Americans are still getting infected at record levels and the Death toll is continuing to rise with no national plan in place to contain the spread. 

• Sad 1

If the WHO are going to be relevant in the future, they are going to step up to their role. Mission statement for the organization, needs to read like a declaration of war.

Should not assume too much in the way of funding if not up to the fight.

The scope of the WHO needs to be re-evaluated. They are too spread out to have the necessary responsiveness for active disease interventions. Insofar as gov’t response goes very few countries have done well. Covid19 is just too infectious for high populations of uncooperative citizens. 

16 minutes ago, Zen Traveler said:

Sure. The mistake our government made was distancing ourselves from them and our allies during the pandemic. 

Have heard, read that before now many times. There has also been disagreements on  everything from treatment, medications and PPE by the WHO.

Edited by billybob

3 minutes ago, Bosco-d-gama said:

...Insofar as gov’t response goes very few countries have done well. Covid19 is just too infectious for high populations of uncooperative citizens. 

Too many people in our country were destracted by counterproductive messages coming from our Government, imo. Otoh, there was no unified campaign to keep spread from happening. Other countries issued mandates and tried to build consensus on how to deal with Covid-19. 

7 minutes ago, billybob said:

Have heard, read that before now many times.

Not when Government worked and we all banded together to fight a global enemy or disaster.

There has also been disagreements on  everything from treatment, medications and PPE.

With poor planning,  misinformation, and unrealistic expectations from the very top.

11 minutes ago, billybob said:

... by the WHO.

Yeah. The WHO and CDC are not the problem even though mistakes were made.

3 minutes ago, billybob said:

Edited my response above. Learn and go forward, and let 2020 speak for itself. Looking for a new day soon.

Sure and let the reports be written to see where we can learn from our mistakes. Fwiw, I trust scientists over politicians.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Zen Traveler said:

Too many people in our country were destracted by counterproductive messages coming from our Government, imo. Otoh, there was no unified campaign to keep spread from happening. Other countries issued mandates and tried to build consensus on how to deal with Covid-19. 

You mean like restricting national travelers, national lockdowns, quarantine periods, isolation guidelines, military assisted care? Get over it Zen. I can assure you that any other admin would not have done any better and maybe even worse. So let’s keep the thread open. Stick to the topic (for a change).

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Bosco-d-gama said:

...So let’s keep the thread open. Stick to the topic (for a change).

You said you were done talking abou Covid-19 when we took it to PM and now you want us to look at China and blame the WHO instead of our own Goverment? Give me a break!