Corona Virus Disease/(SARS-CoV-2) II

CECAA850

Australian scientists suggest delaying AstraZeneca vaccine as infections fall

Some Australian scientists have proposed delaying mass inoculation using AstraZeneca’s COVID-19 vaccine with a view to considering a different shot instead.

Experts cited data showing the AstraZeneca shot, co-developed with Oxford University, had 62% efficacy compared with more than 90% for a vaccine developed by Pfizer and its partner BioNTech.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-australia/australian-scientists-raise-doubts-over-vaccine-efficacy-as-infections-fall-idUSKBN29I03T

35 minutes ago, tube fanatic said:

The vaccine may reduce symptoms but not stop transmission.  Human challenge studies are needed to find out.

https://www.fredhutch.org/en/news/center-news/2020/12/covid-19-vaccines-transmission.html

Maynard

Having a difficult time understanding this article. It contradicts itself and doesn’t offer any basis for its hypothesis. It’s hypothesis sounds implausible, that these vaccines don’t impart antibodies to protect you from covid19 but do somehow stop covid19 ‘symptoms’.  This infers that the vaccines treat the disease instead of preventing infections and I’ve not read this anywhere. Most likely it is the source of the article. So many articles I’ve read absolutely slay the topic/subject/event they’re supposed to be informing you about. The authors, their editors and publishers simply do not know enough about the subjects to correctly convey their meanings in a synopsis. This paper implies that MAYBE you could be vaccinated and protected from covid19 but somehow (they do not explain how) still be able to infect others with covid19.

Personally I need a clearer explanation because everything I have read about the vaccines indicate the opposite, that once vaccinated that you will not get covid19 if exposed and (therefore) cannot possibly infect others because you do not have the disease. 

Here’s another article on this subject. In summary it seems possible that a covid19 viral load may occur despite having been vaccinated and that this viral load could allow a vaccinated person that’s been exposed to covid19 to transmit the virus to others. This is worrisome because that (my interpretation) means that a vaccinated community might percolate covid19 in enough volume to imperil everyone when their vaccines abate........   OR.........   does it mean that a subacute covid19 viral load itself would impart antibodies resulting in more resistance to the disease?? These are complex problems. Regardless it all seems to be steps in a ‘better’ direction, reducing the severity of covid19 impact. We need that desperately.

https://www.thelancet.com/article/S0140-6736(20)31976-0/fulltext

Wowee............  Biden has the fix for the vaccination troubles. “Retired doctors and more syringes”. Personally I’d rather have retired nurses and more vaccine. Doctors are notoriously bad with injections and needles. Giving a simple ‘shot’ is considered beneath their purposes so they are not seriously trained to give them. Sure there are some who’ll be excellent. If you need a joint injection of a steroid get an orthopedic doctor. Never, ever allow an MD to place an IV line (different than an arterial line) or do venipuncture. You’ll have bruises for months if you do. 

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-biden-idUSKBN29K0NF

Read that even though vaccine will protect, that anyone can inhale and carry around the virus particles in their nose.

Just another reason for precautions until such time as everyone has had their chance to become vaccinated.

Anecdotal...

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Shiva said:

Here, let me help. Norway is reporting that people over 80 given the vaccine are realizing higher incidences of complications including fatalities. Vaccine manufacturers report that their safety tests did not include people over the age of 75. This increase in complications is notable but not extreme IMHO. 

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, Bosco-d-gama said:

Here, let me help. Norway is reporting that people over 80 given the vaccine are realizing higher incidences of complications including fatalities. Vaccine manufacturers report that their safety tests did not include people over the age of 75. This increase in complications is notable but not extreme IMHO. 

Anything on Moderna in this regard? My mom had it 2 weeks ago, 82, my Dad just had a rotor-rooter done, he is 89 and wants it, but his cardiologist wants him to wait a couple of weeks.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, dwilawyer said:

Anything on Moderna in this regard? My mom had it 2 weeks ago, 82, my Dad just had a rotor-rooter done, he is 89 and wants it, but his cardiologist wants him to wait a couple of weeks.

I know nothing other than what’s available online. If you look at the statistics here the risk, though greater, remains small. I suggest you rely on your care providers. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, dwilawyer said:

I would have been interesting to know  which Covid 19   vaccine the  Queen of England HRH E II  and the Regent Prince were given , as they are both in their 90's , I would have to guess that they received the Moderna , since there has been negative  news  from the Pfizer vaccine  in the elderly  in Europe , and the Oxford vaccine is showing only 60% efficacy in Australian trial  tests - and so far , no negatives in Regards to the Moderna , which is also the most expensive vaccine to produce -

Coronavirus will knock more than a year off average US life expectancy, study finds

The coronavirus pandemic is not only having an immediate impact in terms of the deaths of thousands of Americans, it's also taking more than a year off the average US life expectancy.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/15/health/coronavirus-us-life-expectancy/index.html

What we know about Moderna's coronavirus vaccine and how it differs from Pfizer's

But there are a few key differences. Most importantly, Moderna's vaccine can be stored in normal freezers and does not require a super-cold transportation network, making it more accessible for smaller facilities and local communities.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/17/health/moderna-vaccine-what-we-know/index.html

Canada's coming month of Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine shipments will be reduced by half

- Over the next month Canada will be experiencing a “temporary” delay in Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine shipments due to the pharmaceutical giant’s expansion plans at its European manufacturing facility, with the shortage resulting in an average of 50 per cent of coming doses delayed each week.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/canada-s-coming-month-of-pfizer-covid-19-vaccine-shipments-will-be-reduced-by-half-1.5268222