Corona Virus Disease/(SARS-CoV-2) II

CECAA850

16 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

I was talking to a vendor that services our store yesterday who has had it recently.  He had the typical loss of smell and taste but for him the worst part was lower intestinal.  He said it was like food poisoning.  I didn't realize that was a symptom.

On a side note, we had our first co-worker get tested yesterday.  We should know hopefully by tomorrow what his result of the PCR test was.  The Dr's office said that he had swollen glands and several other indicators of covid.  Oddly enough, his symptoms started out with his lower intestine also.

Yes covid19 is known to cause some ugly gastrointestinal situations. There’s a constellation of symptoms for covid19 some of which are directly related to the virus and others caused by bodies immune responses to the viral infection.

When’s the last time you suffered from a fever blister? Usually these things show up when we’re stressed and for some reason tend to express themselves on our lips. They’re very painful and they spread. They are viral infections caused by a type of herpes simplex virus. The herpes virus lives in us (90% carry it) and our bodies usually keep it tamped down but stress allows it to develop these acute local flare ups. But that awful blister is how viral infections work. The virus uses our own cells to replicate - then those infected cells die and basically explode strewing more virus to invade other cells to do the same thing. Notice how a fever blister often spreads to adjacent tissues? The virus invades, replicates, kills the host cell and its prodigy moves on to infect other cells and repeats the cycle.

Well our bodies know the herpes virus and will end the flare up and the herpes will once again go dormant. This is not the case with new pathogenic viruses. They just run amok in the body until the immune system learns how to respond. So imagine fever blisters in your lungs or pancreas or your gut. All pathogens are nasty. If they were mammals they’d be hyena packs. If it was 100 years ago people would take the covid19 pandemic much more seriously simply because then they would’ve known death from infectious disease. They’d have respect for avoiding the infection and not question it’s virulence let alone it’s existence. Way more Americans died from the 1918/19 flu than were killed in WW1.

Sorry for the lengthy reply and it was not aimed at anyone specific. I just get all informative at times, especially after going to the store and seeing the dunderheads sans masks 😷😠.

20 minutes ago, RandyH000 said:

Not sure if this is  related -

Researchers Investigate Coinfection of COVID-19, Herpes Zoster

https://www.pharmacytimes.com/news/researchers-investigate-coinfection-of-covid-19-herpes-zoster

Roughly related. Essentially it reports that a covid19 infections has resulted other viruses becoming expressed at the same time causing coinfections. Secondary infections are part and parcel in a lot of medical care for a variety of reasons.

59 minutes ago, RandyH000 said:

are  you saying that  fever blisters and Covid are related

They are both viral pathogens but they are not morphologically related. Covid19 and some forms of common cold viruses are morphologically related. They are all types of Corona viruses. Some are just more virulent than others.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, tube fanatic said:

Nursing students must take vaccine or leave the program while faculty and hospital staff are exempt:

https://bronx.news12.com/trinitas-nursing-students-file-petition-challenging-decision-to-make-covid-vaccine-mandatory

Maynard

It's a strict requirement in most states.

Vaccines required and no exemptions to get into Nursing, Dental or Medical school. 

Texas is that way  

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, dwilawyer said:

It's a strict requirement in most states.

Vaccines required and no exemptions to get into Nursing, Dental or Medical school. 

Texas is that way  

I understand.  However, why should faculty and hospital staff be exempt?  Isn’t that a form of discrimination against the students?

Maynard

A bill is in the works in NY State which, if passed, will allow the authorities to remove anyone they consider a case, contact, or carrier of a communicable disease which is potentially dangerous to public health.  To my non-legal mind the implications of this are frightening.  It would seemingly allow them to remove from society anyone who tests positive for coronavirus.  Is this happening in other states or countries?

https://www.nysenate.gov/legislation/bills/2021/a416

Maynard

1 hour ago, tube fanatic said:

A bill is in the works in NY State which, if passed, will allow the authorities to remove anyone they consider a case, contact, or carrier of a communicable disease which is potentially dangerous to public health.  To my non-legal mind the implications of this are frightening.  It would seemingly allow them to remove from society anyone who tests positive for coronavirus.  Is this happening in other states or countries?

Maynard

"Removed or detained".  I wonder where they'll go after they're removed or what location they'll be detained at.  Seems very vague to me.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, tube fanatic said:

Maynard

They don't need a bill, the State Health Dept. Chief in New York can order a quarenteen of anyone right now, and jail them for failure to comply as long as they provide an immediate due process hearing.

Been that way since 1890s. Typhoid Mary, God bless her Iriah heart, just wouldn't stop cooking and making ice cream. 

So I suspect the Bill isn't going to add anything new, but provide more checks and balances.

Travis

• Like 1

• Moderators
2 hours ago, tube fanatic said:

I understand.  However, why should faculty and hospital staff be exempt?  Isn’t that a form of discrimination against the students?

Maynard

They aren't. 

Every Hospital has to provide a vaccination plan to State Health Department annually in Texas. The plan has to include which vaccines, which classes of employees, and those who have been granted privileges have to be vaccinated, by when, what proof has to be submitted, what if any medical exemptions they will allow, and if that's approved they then need to submit compliance reports.

So it's a.function of what State Health Dept..approves, and when their renewal is.