Corona Virus Disease/(SARS-CoV-2) II

CECAA850

32 minutes ago, tube fanatic said:

Yes, but did you review the links to the FDA, et al, presented by some commenters?  As reported in this article, there is concern in Japan (and other countries) about this phenomenon:

As reported in Japan Times:  

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2020/11/25/national/science-health/japan-experts-coronavirus-vaccines-safety/

‘Dr. Tetsuo Nakayama, a project professor at Kitasato Institute for Life Sciences and director of the Japanese Society of Clinical Virology, says although the vaccines under development by Pfizer and Moderna successfully created antibodies in trials, there are still doubts about whether those antibodies remain a year or two after vaccination.

There are also underlying concerns about the vaccines’ safety over the long term. Judging from past precedents, their safety and effectiveness are not something that can be determined until at least a year after a massive number of vaccinations have been administered, experts say.

In a worst-case scenario, antibodies could worsen the disease by essentially helping the infection of cells — a phenomenon called antibody dependent enhancement (ADE) — rather than fighting the virus pathogens.

For example, a dengue fever vaccine made by Sanofi, based on a yellow fever vaccine embedded with a part of the dengue virus genome, at first appeared to be effective. But it caused the deaths of children who had been given the vaccination due to the ADE phenomenon.

“Concerns over ADE still remain. I am an elderly person myself, but if I were asked, I would say I don’t want to get a shot,” Nakayama said. “Not all of the 120 million people (in Japan) should get the vaccinations. Children, for example, would not need it because there’s scarcely any risk of severe cases.” ‘

I guess where we differ is that I consider information from FDA and CDC as being the least truthful in comparison with what is disclosed by similar agencies in the rest of the world.  It seems that the domestic point of view is different more often than in agreement.  To each his own.....

Maynard

Where we differ is does the cure kill the patient and for the time being it doesn’t. We have covid19 and already it has mutated and it will continue to do so unless we can hamper its spread and recurrence. With what we have we know that a surge of covid19 can bring huge cities and the best medicine can offer to their knees. It has got to end ASAP before it mutates into something uglier.

So science has new tools and these tools allow us to accelerate the development of medicines used to treat covid19 and other diseases. As always the proof is in the applications. They’ve done the safety testing and we deployed vaccinations safely. So in a sense covid19 has put humanity in the position of being the guinea pig. We will differ on this need. I believe it is working safely and I believe that the experience will usher in new generations of medicines with unheard potential. It is possible that we will be able to vaccinate against types of cancers (other than HPV).  We are moving forward and as it often happens humanity does this when survival challenged. Covid19 brought us to this threshold and new we get to cross into uncharted territories sooner than otherwise.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Bosco-d-gama said:

So in a sense covid19 has put humanity in the position of being the guinea pig. We will differ on this need. I believe it is working safely and I believe that the experience will usher in new generations of medicines with unheard potential.

Covid19 brought us to this threshold and new we get to cross into uncharted territories sooner than otherwise.

That's a great way to look at it.  Most people prefer not to be Guinea pigs and that's exactly how it feels.  Uncharted territories with no long term studies make me uneasy as well.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

That's a great way to look at it.  Most people prefer not to be Guinea pigs and that's exactly how it feels.  Uncharted territories with no long term studies make me uneasy as well.

Well it is a stretch. The covid19 vaccines have passed all known testing metrics for safety. Keep in mind that passing is not a perfect score. But the same measures were applied to these vaccines that have been applied to all other vaccines. So in this measure they are essentially the same. What is different is how the covid19 vaccines were derived. This is where the ‘express lane’ was taken that is new. And what’s ‘new’ is not the end goal but the route taken. So to make the Ebola vaccine they knew what they needed and took the traditional long route albeit as fast as they could. We could’ve done the same for covid19 and we’d have the same results in another 12 to 18 months and nowhere near enough vaccine to make much difference at that juncture. Basically they used a man made biological catalyst to speed up the processes to get to the same place they’d have gone otherwise. So it is not as dire as perhaps it sounds and it is working and it is more efficacious than any influenza vaccine ever produced. 

I’d suggest that we should swell up with pride at the accomplishment and relish what the effort may bring us in the very near future in the form of other drugs. 

• Like 2

How the Coronavirus Turns the Body Against Itself

Some patients struggling with Covid-19 develop antibodies against their own tissues, scientists have found.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/28/health/coronavirus-antibodies-immunity.html

https://www.deccanherald.com/science-and-environment/how-the-coronavirus-turns-the-body-against-itself-944495.html

On 1/27/2021 at 12:06 PM, billybob said:

Moderna is developing a booster for the S African variant, just in case.

Anecdotal but info online.

Moderna are really looking like they are  best solution overall  ------or at least they try the hardest

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

Here's a link with a little more detail:

N.Y. Severely Undercounted Virus Deaths in Nursing Homes, Report Says (msn.com)

Kind of underscores the cognitive dissonance in those who have steadily maintained the death tolls have been exaggerated.  

Motives of the two groups are completely different. 

Cuomo needs to go go.