Corona Virus Disease/(SARS-CoV-2) II

CECAA850

• Moderators
1 hour ago, billybob said:

Sore arm? Anything?

Thanks!

My son had a sore arm on first shot, nothing for me.

I had a slightly sore arm on the second day (yesterday), it's gone today.

Of course, everyone is different. We were told to expect a very sore arm both times, and I know that some do, but it's less than a tetanus shot for me.

• Like 1

• Moderators
21 hours ago, oldtimer said:

What group were you classified and why?

I was classified as "back of the line and maybe you might luck out."  (Volunteer at a hub my wife's facility operates, she is 1A). We volunteered at her hub and were told that they thaw out the number they need for the day and if there are any no shows/cancels they will vaccinate you because they have to be thrown away. We got our first shots 3 weeks ago when they were doing a sort of beta test, all 1A health workers were notified they can register by text, and there were about 50 cancellations/no shows, and 50 people who were on wait list were notified to come down. Volunteers were on the top of the waitlist. We offered ours up to higher priority but there were more enough to cover everyone so we got it. There was a lot of hesitation back then. maybe there still is.

• Like 1

• Moderators
7 hours ago, oldtimer said:

Thanks.  I think I am in 1b.  Is there any way to choose which one you get?  Or is it dependent on what the particular place has?

I think it's just what the organization has acess to.

In Williamson County, the County got into the Moderna pipeline, I don't know the particulars. My wife's facility has a contract with the County Health Department. They are paid a $20 admin per patient fee, they agree to bill health insurance if people have it, if they don't have insurance, the County pays it. The vaccine is provided by County at no cost, they are not allowed to charge for it. 

They are starting to get people from Dallas and Houston who cannot get it apparently. 

They are set up to Admin. about 2,200 to 2,300 vaccines a day. They get 8K doses next week and they will do it M,T, and W. They have to pull 1 physician and 16 RNs to the Hub (a typical 10K seat District Football stadium parking lot with 1st floor offices). The County provides some volunteers, but not enough. They have 8 Sherriff's deputies to direct traffic.  They have over 200,000 signed up.

At best, it is a break even, PR opportunity. They went to about 11 pm one day last week, 300 no shows and they start calling people to set them up. They had a 70 year old in tears who came down because she saw on FB there was extra, they sent her to staff area, a volunteer who would have gotten vaccinated gave up her vaccine to the woman. That volunteer will get the first extra dose available.

The system relies heavily on the inherent good in people, sort of the instinct to load "women and children first" but with respect to the elderly. There are scammers, but since they are not allowed to ask any health information beyond age (DL) and "do you have a comorbidity?" there is not much they can do and it isn't that many.

I was glad they had Moderna, but didn't even know until we got it. They seem to be very, very close.

• Moderators
5 hours ago, billybob said:

The JJ, isn't as bad as on paper. They have massive capacity. Doesn't require deep freeze, or any freeze. Although more got sick, zero deaths, and a fraction of the hospitalizations. 

Looks like Moderna folks like me are for sure going to need a booster, the Pfizer looks much better on the variants. 

I'm hopeful we can get a third of the country by April 21st. 

• Like 2

when this thing hit, I was a priority but apparently that was only from the fear mongers. My asthma made me a higher risk. My brother's surgeon told him that he'd better take this virus seriously because if he got it he'd die. Now, my asthma and being 60 doesn't make me a priority candidate and my brother inquired at his last doctor's appointment and was told that he's not a high priority either because "you don't have cancer anymore." they removed his esophagus and 1/3 of this stomach ... a zillion complications; but suddenly he's not "at risk anymore."  

Our county ( where wife and I work, neighboring state) is doing pfizer and moderna. We ended up in the Moderna pipeline. Second shot scheduled for this Monday morning. They are more organized now... first shot was 2 1/2 hours, this one at present is taking about 30 minutes.

• Like 1

CDC says vaccine is safe for pregnant women without any proof that is correct.  The WHO urges caution.  Would you want to risk having your child born with birth defects based on a guess and no science?  It must be nice to be able to hide behind a total liability shield.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/pregnant-women-covid-vaccine-233742177.html

Maynard