Corona Virus Disease/(SARS-CoV-2) II

CECAA850

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Vahorns said:

People can decide on the risks and make decisions based on their judgment.    It is being reported that 100s of illegal migrants that have tested positive for COVID-19 are being released into the USA because this administration has changed the border immigration rules regarding catch and release.  Border Security cannot even track these people for contact tracing after their release.  What will be the impact of these COVID-19 positive people being released into Texas and all areas along the southern border? 

This seems almost purely political, but I guess I'm open to how this relates to the current treatment, vaccinations (or not getting vaccinated); gross numbers, up, down, etc. related to Covid-19..

I guess what I would want to know in determining whether this a just political "bait" or relevant information is what testing is done on people who legally enter the US by air car or boat. Are travel restricted currently in place from anywhere? If they are tested upon arrival, what, if anything is being done on rapid positive cases? I'm guessing what the answers on those will be, but pretty sure I know the answers (based on the variants that have hit the US in the last few weeks). If my assumptions are correct, than I would say the post, if unintentional, points out how difficult it is for a thread to exist because of the constant crossing into politically  related issues. Of course it could be an intentional means of trying to interject immigration and border security issues into a Covid-19 thread, but I don't  recall seeing any kind of history of that with you in this, or other threads. 

The problem with posting "news" about the disease that are intermixed with political issues like border security and immigration policy has already occured, I just deleted a response to your post talking about a completely different disease being spread. 

• Moderators
26 minutes ago, Zen Traveler said:

Actually, it's a mixed bag for small businesses but I get your point. I also wouldn't characterize folks by saying  "People are still free to stay locked in their basements if they want to." No one wants to be locked up or prevented from doing what they want but Covid Numbers are not where they need to be and in fact are pretty high in our area. Fwiw, my business is going to stick by the CDC guidelines the best we can because it's worked for us so far. Mandatory mask wearing and social distancing. Unfortunately it's a real drag because we are working under those guidelines and have a waiting list. 

Glad to hear that you have been able to carry on in at least some capacity.

Are your class sizes reduced? I'm sure they must be, but like 1/2 like a lot of restaurants? Or more? I'm guessing there is big "prime time" like after school until 7 or 8 p.m. or weekends and there is no way to schedule more classes, you are already max capacity for every possible slot during prime time?

22 minutes ago, dwilawyer said:

If they are tested upon arrival, what, if anything is being done on rapid positive cases?

Not saying we can take anything the media says to the bank; but I read this morning that those crossing the southern border into Texas were given the rapid test and 108 tested positive. The city of Brownsville said that they don't have the authority to prevent them from traveling across the US and merely advised them to quarantine, wear masks, and social distance. Poor timing since I also hear Texas is ending the mask mandate this week. 

23 minutes ago, dwilawyer said:

Of course it could be an intentional means of trying to interject immigration and border security issues into a Covid-19 thread, but I don't  recall seeing any kind of history of that with you in this, or other threads. 

I know that my opinion doesn't matter Travis; but I respectfully suggest that you may want to ask yourself if you've become hyper-focused on looking for violations of the TOS. I saw absolutely nothing wrong with what this person posted, so why fight a battle that isn't there?  True it  may come in the future; but deal with "what is" and not "what if."  the old adage "I'll cross that bridge when I come to it" has some merit. doing that may ease the tension in your and our forum experiences. Peace. ☮️

24 minutes ago, dwilawyer said:

Glad to hear that you have been able to carry on in at least some capacity.

Thanks. When we first opened after the two month lockdown we reluctantly decided to wear masks and cut class by half...It took some time for folks to feel comfortable, and of course we lost a few who refused to wear masks.

Are your class sizes reduced? I'm sure they must be, but like 1/2 like a lot of restaurants? Or more? I'm guessing there is big "prime time" like after school until 7 or 8 p.m. or weekends and there is no way to schedule more classes, you are already max capacity for every possible slot during prime time?

Yep. We got our numbers up to about 1/3 to 1/2 capacity (which was our comfort level) by November and it's stayed steady. Prime time is between 4 to 8 and we have a sign up list for class. So far we've been able to juggle folks but there have been a few times we had to apologize for over-booking but did the best we could by more "sit down" time. I really have been proud of my wife and our team for making it run so efficiently...

That said, we are on an escalating rent situation and this year has put us behind on making the next goal and I'm curious how the landlord is going to handle it--Alot of their business went out in our center including their main anchor. We are right next door to Rose Costumes which does the costumes for several Universities and dozens of highschools and churches.   

59 minutes ago, dwilawyer said:

That's a pretty safe bet, and nothing even remotely related to Covid-19 will be allowed to be posted again.

Is there any aspect of CV-19 that isn't political at this point ?

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

7 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

Not saying we can take anything the media says to the bank; but I read this morning that those crossing the southern border into Texas were given the rapid test and 108 tested positive. The city of Brownsville said that they don't have the authority to prevent them from traveling across the US and merely advised them to quarantine, wear masks, and social distance. Poor timing since I also hear Texas is ending the mask mandate this week. 

That wasn't my question in trying to determine the poster's reasoning behind the post. I was asking for the reasoning to give them the benefit of the doubt. 

29 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

I know that my opinion doesn't matter Travis; but I respectfully suggest that you may want to ask yourself if you've become hyper-focused on looking for violations of the TOS. I saw absolutely nothing wrong with what this person posted, so why fight a battle that isn't there?  True it  may come in the future; but deal with "what is" and not "what if."  the old adage "I'll cross that bridge when I come to it" has some merit. doing that may ease the tension in your and our forum experiences. Peace. ☮️

I always value your opinion. 

This particular post got 3 flags: "Overtly political", "this isn't going to end pretty" "Illegal immigrants?" Plus, Carl's public response, that the thread was in danger if there was going to be much talk "about the border." That was all before I got here to see what's going on. This particular thread, because of the intertwined issues of the disease is being looked at with hypervigilance, which I have mentioned many times in the thread to try to keep it on track and prevent the inevitable political discourse that keeps popping up.. There is no secret about that. 

But masks, for example, has been (at times) extremely political. @CECAA850 Carl's post about masks in Texas and MS was pretty benign and apolitical announcement of what was going to happen in those to State's on mandates. (I could have done without the "freedom" reference, but I don't want to appear to be . . . hyper-focused?). 

Then, while I was in here dealing with that stuff I had a poster react (as always happens when there is a post in here with even a vague reference to policy issues that are intertwined with politics (like the border and immigration) respond with a completely off-topic response dealing with border/immigration. Then we have a thread about the border and immigration. 

I'm only taking the time to give explanations on this as yet one more example of why posts in this threat need to be very on point, and responses need to be just just as on-point.  Additionally, Carl's example giving a reminder of how people who want to participate in this thread need to stay on point or it will go away (forever) and they can get their "news" elsewhere.

• Moderators
50 minutes ago, Bubo said:

Is there any aspect of CV-19 that isn't political at this point ?

Well that is the question I have been struggling with the last few weeks. It there isn't than the thread is no longer appropriate and should be closed down and people can stick to the vaccination thread that recently popped up.

If there still are aspects of the virus that are not political, and people can stick to those, and it is of interest and value to the Forum Community I thought it was worthwhile to try and preserve it. However, I think the point of your post (and indirectly from BSM's post) is that this has become an exercise in futility on my part, and an easy trap for many who were never looking for trouble in the first place. 

It would certainly free up a lot more of the very limited time I have to be in here doing the more important things. 

To be fair VAhorns is an older member here with little participation and no previously on this thread. 

Would suppose in this case, member not aware of the constraints on this thread.

That being said, facts with links always called for.

Thanks!

• Moderators
11 minutes ago, billybob said:

To be fair VAhorns is an older member here with little participation and no previously on this thread. 

Would suppose in this case, member not aware

That was my recollection and observation, and thus he wouldn't have seen the previous blips.

5 hours ago, dwilawyer said:

However, I think the point of your post (and indirectly from BSM's post) is that this has become an exercise in futility on my part, and an easy trap for many who were never looking for trouble in the first place. 

don't get me wrong, I appreciate that you are trying to eliminate verbal attacks on the forum.  I'm certainly not advocating for vicious arguments or insults to be allowed. 

I would say it is an exercise in futility only if you ignore that probably the most posted thing for decades on this forum is the phrase "In before the lock."  People are going to say that anyway, I just don't think statements like that guarantee the thread will become a cesspool of opinions. Some threads will, some won't. There are some world class jerks that are members of this forum; but there are also some that feel that they have to walk on eggshells for fear of being misinterpreted and forevermore being viewed with scrutiny. 

One of my favorite quotes is from C. S. Lewis "Suspicion often creates what it suspects." 

okay, my other favorite is "don't blame a clown for acting like a clown, ask yourself why you keep going to the circus." I don't know who gets credit for that one.

Maybe you and I just don't agree how to deal with this topic and that's okay -- I just don't want you to look for things that you think may take a bad turn. that has to be as frustrating for you as it is for us. I worry that we're heading in the direction of that sci-fi flick The Minority Report where people are predicting crimes BEFORE they even happen. Dealing with the offenders, well I have made it known that I think the best way is to deal with the offenders vice locking threads; however, I also don't think that anything has been posted that can't be forgiven. someone that blatantly states that they will NOT comply with any rules is a different matter; but I doubt we're dealing with that. 

That's all I have to say and I'm sad to believe that writing this was an exercise in futility. I hope I'm wrong; but I'm not a gear head that must talk audio all the time. I first came here seeking information, got that information; but made some friends along the way. When I can't communicate with them on this forum because they've grown weary and left or feel that they are persona non grata, then there will be no reason to come back. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BigStewMan said:

don't get me wrong, I appreciate that you are trying to eliminate verbal attacks on the forum.  I'm certainly not advocating for vicious arguments or insults to be allowed. 

I would say it is an exercise in futility only if you ignore that probably the most posted thing for decades on this forum is the phrase "In before the lock."  People are going to say that anyway, I just don't think statements like that guarantee the thread will become a cesspool of opinions. Some threads will, some won't. There are some world class jerks that are members of this forum; but there are also some that feel that they have to walk on eggshells for fear of being misinterpreted and forevermore being viewed with scrutiny. 

A couple of years ago, sites put out the number of complaints and flags it required for them to drop content or contributors

It turned into an organized Cancel fest, most of those sites lost at least half of the people who went there.

The primary site where I go for news, they put up with this nonsense for a short time, then drop off the non contributors who only want to silence other people or make antagonizing posts where they are looking to sour the discussion. Recently with the big freeze in TX, the site was blitzed with Pro Windmill nonsense with no facts, maybe they were paid, or were worried about their stock values, in a day or two they all lost their posting privileges since they had nothing to contribute.

For any site, are you better off to blow off the disruptors who only complain and antagonize or lose half or more of the contributors. They can still read the contributions and content of other people, they just can't post anything, since their contribution is negative and drives people away, it's a turn off. 

My local HS caved  into less than 10 people who called in and wrote letters I believe several thousand times, claiming to be hundreds of people. I think it was a giant mistake to cave in to this tactic.

My two cents.......

People who have had COVID-19 might need only one shot of a coronavirus vaccine

Their antibody levels were 500 times higher than in people vaccinated but never infected

“Their bodies remembered it, no problem,” and reacted very quickly to the vaccine, says Mohammad Sajadi, an infectious disease doctor at the Institute of Human Virology at the University of Maryland School of Medicine in Baltimore. After the first vaccine dose, antibody levels quickly shot up in people who previously had COVID-19 either with or without symptoms to more than 500 times the levels seen in people who were never infected.

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/covid-19-infection-one-shot-two-dose-coronavirus-vaccine

New evidence shows coronavirus can infect and kill heart muscle cells

A robust new study has demonstrated how SARS-CoV-2, the coronavirus that causes COVID-19, can infect and directly damage heart tissue. The research suggests previously reported cases of heart damage in COVID-19 patients are not due to inflammation in response to an infection but the virus itself interfering with heart muscles.

https://newatlas.com/medical/covid19-heart-damage-virus-infects-muscle-cells/

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Bubo said:

For any site, are you better off to blow off the disruptors who only complain and antagonize or lose half or more of the contributors. They can still read the contributions and content of other people, they just can't post anything, since their contribution is negative and drives people away, it's a turn off. 

Um no, there's no political or social policy here, period. Same as every other audio Forum I'm aware of.

We used to "blow it off" but as of last July, and again in early Janurary, we no longer do that. We do a warning in the thread, or delete or edit the offending posts, and continued violations get you either a temporary timeout or put on Moderated posts.

Having no, zero, politics/social policy discussions is drawing comments about 10 to 1 favorable than the long past practice of containment. We were losing people who wanted to come to their favorite audio Forum as an escape and not be be bombarded by the same things they are bombarded with on FB, Twitter, cable news, and other sources.

The people who felt they have a "right" to post their views, political or otherwise, who have left in a huff is less than 5, both sides of the spectrum.

We don't make.decisions based on flags, very rarely even mention if things have been flagged. I did so in this case because I wanted to point out it's not just my personal approach or view that was at play. This is really the only thread any more that gets flags from time to time.

If people have nothing to say other than posts that contain politics or social policy based undertones, this isn't the place for them, and we realize some may leave, and some have, but we would rather try and save the Lounge Section of the Forum than keeping a tiny minority happy.

1 hour ago, Bubo said:

The primary site where I go for news, they put up with this nonsense for a short time, then drop off the non contributors who only want to silence other people or make antagonizing posts where they are looking to sour the discussion. Recently with the big freeze in TX, the site was blitzed with [favorable to one energy source that was ] nonsense with no facts, maybe they were paid, or were worried about their stock values, in a day or two they all lost their posting privileges since they had nothing to contribute.

That wouldn't happen here because this isn't a news site, and we wouldn't allow any view, politically based, whether sourced or not, and it would never happen in this thread, the thread would just go away. It also wouldn't happen here because you have extreamly smart people here, across a wide spectrum, who can go at any political or social issue, with references, sources - and they can go at it for days, 12+ hours a day, which is why we dont have political policy/social issues anywhere, especially this thread.

Sort of odd you would use a off topic potential political issue as an example. You had one post edited earlier to remove off topic political issues, and then you use another example containing your view (a slight reference, but still a reference) on another social policy. So tell me, how did they handle election irregularities on this news service? That's rhetorical, don't answer that.

To clairify, we are not seeking advice on how to run things. I was trying to answer some lingering questions, that failed. The tolerances in this particular thread are very slim,.I mentioned that this afternoon 

If anyone has any other comments, suggestions or questions PM me (or any other moderator). 

Do not put it in here. I have done what I can do on the history of where we are at in this thread. don't put it in here.

It's posted at the top of this section in Detel's post (pinned at the top).

This is the last word on the "how come." We will see if this thread can stay on point, free from posts or links to political/social issues.  I'm putting the text of Dtel's July post below for easy reference.

Travis

July Post by @dtel

This section is NOT for your controversial BS, it is NOT the old BS section.

Find somewhere else online to do your thing if controversy is your thing.

The lounge is for subjects that do not fit in audio sections but not to argue/ debate in.

The BS section does not exist anymore, it's not the lounge.

If this is a problem you are on the wrong forum, this forum is not for your political or current social views.

No your not smarter than everyone else here and can sneak it through, anything seen as not fitting will be erased.

Starting new threads with the same function will also be erased, if someone continues to try to keep starting subjects like this they will not be allowed to post.

You have NO idea how many complaints threads like this get, the majority of people here do not like the subjects or the arguing. 

• Moderators
7 hours ago, BigStewMan said:

There seems to be a misunderstanding on what we have eliminated, and will continue to eliminate (not trying to). It's not to reduce verbal attacks, (although there is zero tolerance for those as well). It's to seriously eliminate political/social policy references in any post, not just thread, but any thread. 

We identified a core of individuals who continued to include vague references,  that always received a response with opposite view point. This was after the core had received multiple warnings, and they were put  on moderated posts. Since then the political, social policy stuff, and corresponding complaints has plummeted. But those folks are still around. I think one more was added to that group.  

What we have implemented goes back to Dtels July post, which I repeated in the post right before this one, and he states it so much better than I do.

There is a way to remove the politics from that news item, it just takes a little more thought, and a willingness to abandon the political part of it.

You are right, the main premise is absolutely valid: what are the ramifications of having 100+ positive people come into the country (and apparently asymptomatic) who are free to travel anywhere. Nothing else in that post, or the subsequent post, have any relevance to this thread. I thought it was an opportunity to explain the rules overall,  and this thread specifically. Going forward I will just be editing them or deleting them, depending on time (just like I have with at least 200 other posts in this thread (which is actually a combination of 4 threads I have merged together after they were locked for going political)).

PM me if you have any other ideas or thoughts about it.

Travis

Reading this makes me wonder if it is possible for the Moderna and Pfizer vaccines, due to manufacturing defects, to actually cause cancer.  I am not saying they will, but it certainly raises a question in my mind about safety given the extremely short trial period and reliance on the manufacturers’ truthfulness about their trials.  Time will tell.......

https://www.mskcc.org/news/scientists-find-cancer-drivers-hiding-rna-not-dna

Maynard

I guess we can still post Covid topics?

For those who were wondering, this is clarification on lifting the mask ban and rules on occupancy in TX.  It doesn't seem as reckless as some portray it to be.

On March 2nd, the Governor issued Executive Order 34 (HERE) allowing all businesses of any type to open to 100% capacity, effective March 10th

The Executive Order does not preclude a business from requiring employees or customers to follow additional hygiene measures, including the wearing of a face covering.

The Order provides that in all counties, except a county in an Area of High Hospitalizations,* businesses and facilities may operate at 100% capacity.  Individuals are strongly encouraged to wear face coverings over the nose and mouth wherever it is not feasible to maintain six feet of social distancing from another person not in the same household; however, no person may be required by any jurisdiction to wear or to mandate the wearing of a face covering.

In a county located in an Area of High Hospitalizations, there are no state-imposed COVID-19 related operating limits for a business. There is no state-imposed requirement to wear a face covering. The county judge may use COVID-19 related mitigation strategies provided that:
1. A business may not be required to operate at less than 50% of total occupancy, with no limits for religious services, public and private schools and institutions of higher education, and child care services;
2. No jurisdiction may impose confinement in jail as a penalty for violating any order issued in response to COVID-19; and,
3. No jurisdiction may impose a penalty of any kind for failure to wear a face covering or failure to mandate that a customer or an employee wear a face covering. A legally authorized official may act to enforce trespassing laws and remove a violator at the request of a business or other property owner.

Every person and business is strongly encouraged to use good faith efforts and available resources to follow the Texas Department of State Health Services recommendations, www.dshs.texas.gov/coronavirus

• Like 1