Corona Virus Disease/(SARS-CoV-2) II

CECAA850

• Moderators

Here is something on topic. What's the R Naught (transmissibility) of B.1.1.7, and what are they reporting in the UK is the lethality of B.1.1.7, and is that lower, the same, or higher than what we have been dealing with up to now in the US. What percentage in cases are being seen in Florida with B.1.1.7, what is the Houston Health Department reporting in terms of B1.1.1.7?

My personal view is that without knowing those numbers there is simply no way to judge issues like mask orders, schools, etc.

8 hours ago, Zen Traveler said:

It's reckless from a Public Health standpoint because it doesn't make anything mandatory.  Hospitalizations ARE at a high capacity in both the ER and general population in alot of counties. Mask wearing and social distancing  seem to work at places we need to go such as supermarkets. If half of the people now decide not to wear masks then it stands to reason Covid-19 and it's variants will spread and will affect the mask wearers as well if they are in close proximity to the virus.

I just saw this and it gives me hope others will do the same.   https://www.wfaa.com/article/news/local/texas-grocery-stores-mask-requirements-kroger-heb-albertsons-target-walmart-costco/287-0492759e-b441-4b2a-bbfb-6fc49cc388fb#:~:text=With Gov. Greg Abbott rescinding,customers to wear face masks. From the link: 

"With Gov. Greg Abbott rescinding his statewide face mask order Tuesday, effective March 10, businesses will no longer have to require masks.

Even so, some grocery store chains such as ALDI, Kroger and Sprouts are still requiring customers to wear face masks."

5 minutes ago, Zen Traveler said:

Even so, some grocery store chains such as ALDI, Kroger and Sprouts are still requiring customers to wear face masks."

Thats great but from what I've seen there's not much enforcement by store employees. 

8 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

Where's the data on private schools?

Imo, the discussion should be about public schools...Like I said, private schools have more of a privileged crowd or stay in pods anyway. That said, my guess non mask wearing or social distancing institutions are faring well and we did see what happened to those during the summer.

4 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

Thats great but from what I've seen there's not much enforcement by store employees. 

That's why I thought it shoulda been mandated. Those employees aren't qualified/able to handle disgruntled patrons and I think they should call the cops if they get belligerent when asked to comply or leave. Btw, the Kroger I frequent does.

Just now, Zen Traveler said:

Imo, the discussion should be about public schools...

But my point was about private schools.  Its not always about the money rather the drive to get the kids back in class. 

1 minute ago, Zen Traveler said:

That's why I thought it shoulda been mandated. Those employees aren't qualified/able to handle disgruntled patrons and I think they should call the cops if they get belligerent when asked to comply or leave.

Not gonna happen.   Stores aren't going to piss off customers.  They're not doing it now.

Just now, CECAA850 said:

But my point was about private schools.  Its not always about the money rather the drive to get the kids back in class. 

Sure but private schools are already doing it because they have the resources and clientele that public schools don't. It would be  interesting to see what their Covid numbers are and what guidelines the more successful one's are using.

3 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

Not gonna happen.   Stores aren't going to piss off customers.  They're not doing it now.

Do you wear a mask when you go to the grocery store? Fwiw, I do and so do the vast majority of customers where I shop. I hope they continue and we'll see what affect discontinuing the rules has. Ha! In a month we'll see if my prediction of the numbers staying high or go up will happen. Stay tuned and hope you are correct.

• Like 1

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

So 2,873,692 students and 119,810 cases comes out to .04 of the student body affected in public schools.  How does that compare to the general population? 

That's infected since Sept, and is just that, total cases divided by total at school population. You can't determine transmissibility  from that. During January we were up to (IIRC) 20,000 cases for all ages per day so it's significantly less. But with kids at school it supposed to be near zero. Clearly its kids are giving it to kids. On staff, I think you would need to know much, much more (and be an epidemiologist) to know know where they are picking it up.

3 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

just got an appointment for next week -- I'll be getting the Pfizer vaccine. 

Congrats. We will have our second at about the same time. With our first the appointment card said Pfizer or Moderna. Apparently it would be whatever vaccine was delivered. Ours was Moderna - 

1 minute ago, richieb said:

Congrats. We will have our second at about the same time. With our first the appointment card said Pfizer or Moderna. Apparently it would be whatever vaccine was delivered. Ours was Moderna - 

when I made my appointment, they specified that I'd be getting the Pfizer one at the location that I selected. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Zen Traveler said:

I just got my name on the list...Dolly Parton inspired me and I didn't have to give a mil for the privilege. :)

I'm a couple years younger than the age they are down to; but I have an underlying health condition that qualifies me. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Zen Traveler said:

Do you wear a mask when you go to the grocery store? Fwiw, I do and so do the vast majority of customers where I shop. I hope they continue and we'll see what affect discontinuing the rules has. Ha! In a month we'll see if my prediction of the numbers staying high or go up will happen. Stay tuned and hope you are correct.

I do as its mandated.  Once you're in the stores it's not uncommon to see people pulling their masks down below their chin.  Some remove them.

1 hour ago, richieb said:

Always took pride in being considered a Joker and/or a Clown. A bit disappointed the Forum Masters don’t find me as such. Must be off my game. I’ll try to do better - 

You fight with your friends much?  I heard that you like to punch the clown.

• Haha 1