Corona Virus Disease/(SARS-CoV-2) II

CECAA850

1 hour ago, richieb said:

Always took pride in being considered a Joker and/or a Clown. A bit disappointed the Forum Masters don’t find me as such. Must be off my game. I’ll try to do better - 

just be you ... we're not always going to be liked and that's okay too.  for the record, I think you're alright. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

I do as its mandated

so do I.  I'm pro-mask.  other than the hassle of my glasses fogging up, the mask isn't limiting a single bit. if I can protect myself and others, why not? I'd be in favor of a paper bag over the head mandate in a few instances. ok, that was a mean joke. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

12 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

You fight with your friends much?  I heard that you like to punch the clown.

6 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

just be you ... we're not always going to be liked and that's okay too.  for the record, I think you're alright. 

Thanks BSM. You’ve restored the faith Carl hoped to steal from me — not that he’s to be taken seriously 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

I do as its mandated.  Once you're in the stores it's not uncommon to see people pulling their masks down below their chin.  Some remove them.

We haven't been seeing that at the Kroger where I shop and hope that doesn't change. Mandate or not, I agree with what you said below and we will see what the repercussions are when it's not mandated. 

11 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

Absolutely and now people know the benefits of wearing masks and social distancing and can act accordingly.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

so do I.  I'm pro-mask.  other than the hassle of my glasses fogging up, the mask isn't limiting a single bit. if I can protect myself and others, why not? I'd be in favor of a paper bag over the head mandate in a few instances. ok, that was a mean joke. 

Even after our second dose we intend to mask up for the foreseeable future. Wife’s traveling to Florida after her second packing her arsenal of masks and sanitizer —

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, richieb said:

Even after our second dose we intend to mask up for the foreseeable future.

I will too; but I've got a hefty case of OCD -- and not the funny one that people laugh about ... the type that steals all the joy from life. I do worry about my kids and grandkids. every one of them lives in a major city that has at some point been a hot spot. 

2 hours ago, Zen Traveler said:

That's why I thought it shoulda been mandated. Those employees aren't qualified/able to handle disgruntled patrons and I think they should call the cops if they get belligerent when asked to comply or leave. Btw, the Kroger I frequent does.

that is a good point.  Before my brother got ill, he was a manager of a major grocery store  and that company's policy regarding shoplifting was NOT to stop the person, just call the police. 

When I was in college, a professor told us of (can't recall the name associated to it) but to paraphrase, no matter how unbelievable a premise is, you will find roughly 12% that will believe it. I'd be curious what the percentage of anti-maskers is?  I personally don't know of anyone that refuses to wear one ... I have a few relatives that refuse to be vaccinated though. 

If we view protection protocols as a service to others, it's not that much to ask. I love my guitars; but If I was actually hurting people by playing them ... I'd quit in a heartbeat. self-pleasure needs to be knocked down a few notches for the GG.  (for those of you that aren't fans of the show MONK, the GG means the greater good). 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

Not gonna happen.   Stores aren't going to piss off customers.  They're not doing it now.

The other day at the local supermarket a woman was shopping without a mask.  To my surprise, a plain clothes guy appeared out of nowhere, identified himself as store security, and asked if she had a face covering with her.  She said yes, and he told her to put it on while waiting for her to do so.  I was impressed.  They provide one if a person does not have their own.  

Maynard

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, tube fanatic said:

The other day at the local supermarket a woman was shopping without a mask.  To my surprise, a plain clothes guy appeared out of nowhere, identified himself as store security, and asked if she had a face covering with her.  She said yes, and he told her to put it on while waiting for her to do so.  I was impressed.  They provide one if a person does not have their own.  

Maynard

There used to be security at entrances to Lowes, Home Depot etc making sure people were masked.  I dont see them any more.  People without masks aren't the norm here but you do see them.

• Moderators
19 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

But my point was about private schools.  Its not always about the money rather the drive to get the kids back in class. 

If they are not required to test, and if they are not required to report testing (like Texas public schools are) we will never, ever know the answer to the question:

Is there a difference to positivity rates, or even positive tests, between private and public schools.

If there's is a difference, it will come down to 4 things (this is guaranteed, without a doubt):

1. The minimum distance between students (and how that is supervised and enforeded, in every area, class rooms, before school, recess (is that even a word any more?), lunch, after school programs, etc. This also includes barriers in place, like plexiglass partitions, and things like the way items are passed from one to another (like a pencil for example);

2. Masks

3. Handwashing requirements and facilities

4. Sanitization procedures (if students go from class to class, are desks and chairs wiped down between each class? What's done everything evening after class?)

No. 1 has astronomical costs to do it properly. Stickers on the floor, glass barriers, etc. 

No. 2 should be no difference.

No. 3 is dependent on what's there already, but requires more supervision and teacher/staff time for elementary education than secondary education.

No. 4 adds significant costs for primary schools, exorbitant costs for secondary schools

Private schools lowered enrollment to make it easier to increase the distance in No.1, some by as much as 50%, which of course is a loss to them in tution revenues. Private schools have to be extremely cautious because they can be sued, unlike public schools.

How many students are in private schools in Texas? How many private schools are there in Texas? My guess - the numbers are inconsequential from an epidemiological point of view. 

• Moderators
19 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

Its not always about the money rather the drive to get the kids back in class. 

Isn't the drive for private schools to get kids back into class primarily their ability to collect tuition revenue?

Our districts are optional for high school, I don't know what it is for middle and elementary. I can't imagine they would have an online option for elementary. 

12 minutes ago, dwilawyer said:

1. The minimum distance between students (and how that is supervised and enforeded, in every area, class rooms, before school, recess (is that even a word any more?), lunch, after school programs, etc. This also includes barriers in place, like plexiglass partitions, and things like the way items are passed from one to another (like a pencil for example);

2. Masks

3. Handwashing requirements and facilities

4. Sanitization procedures (if students go from class to class, are desks and chairs wiped down between each class? What's done everything evening after class?)

1 Could probably be accomplished through creative scheduling.  If schools had students for just a half day that would in essence double the space by halving the number of students.  Teachers could cut down on worthless activities such as movies or TV that they use to pass idle times.  No study hall, etc. Half a day live is better than all day virtual for the kids.

2  I think pretty much everyone has masks by now.

3 Handwashing shouldn't be a major hurdle.  Each school would be different depending on facilities available.

4.  This is the CDC's latest, copy and pasted from cdc.gov:

Spread from touching surfaces is not thought to be a common way that COVID-19 spreads

Schools need to think outside the box and be creative with solutions.

8 minutes ago, dwilawyer said:

Isn't the drive for private schools to get kids back into class primarily their ability to collect tuition revenue?

Same drive applies for public schools.  They get paid by the head or at least when my kids were in school they did.

• Moderators
Just now, CECAA850 said:

Same drive applies for public schools.  They get paid by the head or at least when my kids were in school they did.

That's Federal funds based on average daily attendance (ADA). That why every school takes attendance at a particular time of the day.

I think the ADA came off for physical attendance, they get the funds whether students attend remotely, or in school. I'm not sure of that though. That could be the drive to have schools reopen last Fall. I think the drive for private schools to have butts in seats is significantly higher than for public schools.

The school property taxes roll in regardless of attendance.

1 minute ago, dwilawyer said:

That's Federal funds based on average daily attendance (ADA). That why every school takes attendance at a particular time of the day.

A few of the schools around here got busted for fudging those numbers a few years ago.  Our school district was so mis-managed that the state had to come in and take over the board for a few years.