Corona Virus Disease/(SARS-CoV-2) II

CECAA850

33 minutes ago, dwilawyer said:

If there's is a difference, it will come down to 4 things (this is guaranteed, without a doubt):

1. The minimum distance between students (and how that is supervised and enforeded, in every area, class rooms, before school, recess (is that even a word any more?), lunch, after school programs, etc. This also includes barriers in place, like plexiglass partitions, and things like the way items are passed from one to another (like a pencil for example);

2. Masks

3. Handwashing requirements and facilities

4. Sanitization procedures (if students go from class to class, are desks and chairs wiped down between each class? What's done everything evening after class?)

Yep. Good synopsis and I agree with what CECAA850 says below. Otoh, we are talking about traditional class size AND dealing with the additional Covid protocol logistics and personnel becomes an issue. As mentioned, we cut our class size down but what I didn't say is that we also had to increase our assistants in that class because of protocol and not trusting the students to always abide by the rules when you are working with someone else--I compared our clientele to a pvt school but we have our share of kids who have issues. 

14 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

1 Could probably be accomplished through creative scheduling.  If schools had students for just a half day that would in essence double the space by halving the number of students.  Teachers could cut down on worthless activities such as movies or TV that they use to pass idle times.  No study hall, etc. Half a day live is better than all day virtual for the kids.

14 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

Schools need to think outside the box and be creative with solutions.

Everyone does but there is no magic wand. Like you mentioned earlier in the thread, because of lockdown Teachers are experiencing problems in children (and parents) they hadn't before and need the resources to deal with it. 

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 minute ago, Zen Traveler said:

Yep. I agree with what CECAA850 says below but when we are talking about traditional class size AND dealing with the additional Covid protocol logistics and personnel becomes an issue. As mentioned, we cut our class size down but what I didn't say is that we also had to increase our assistants in that class because of protocol and not trusting the students to always abide by the rules when you are working with someone else--I compared our clientele to a pvt school but we have our share of kids who have issues. 

My response and posts were more towards the premise of whether there is really a distinction between private schools and public schools in Texas. 

I doubt there is, I think private schools, unless they are doing something markedly different on distance, handwashing or sanitation in private schools it will be about the same. But they don't have to report so it's just an unknown. If private schools are able to able to increase distance, in and out of class, over what public schools can do, they will have better results, that's also guaranteed. But it works the same in grocery stores, movie theaters, churchs, martial arts classes, and every over public place, all things being equal (inside, or outside). 

Public School enrollment, including charter schools, is about 91 to 92 percent of enrollment in Texas (about  Six million,) private school enrollment is under 250,000 (pre-pandemic), home schooling is about 300,000. 

11 minutes ago, dwilawyer said:

My response and posts were more towards the premise of whether there is really a distinction between private schools and public schools in Texas. 

Hmm...I got that but you quoted my original post that I immediately edited/clarified by saying, "Yep. Good synopsis (to your post) and I agree with what CECAA850 says below. " I think the point missed by some is that post pandemic does give a whole new set of problems that none of us teachers had to deal with on such a massive scale...One of the first we had to deal with is that quite a few parents weren't instructing their kids how to wear a mask and the importance of wearing one properly--I can only imagine the elementary school teacher with a large class experiencing the same...Then you have the kid who continually coughs or sneezes (with their mask on)and you have to deal with that while isolating him without seeming too obvious about it. {Note: And this is while being worried about getting Covid yourself....Crazy times!}

• Like 1

A new mutation found in Oregon is causing concern.  I wonder how many booster shots will be needed to keep pace with all of the mutations which are forthcoming as the virus keeps finding new ways to survive.  In my opinion, a better approach would be to find treatments to mitigate the disease process and let natural herd immunity take place.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/oregon-scientists-virus-variant-worrying-151505340.html

Maynard 

3 hours ago, tube fanatic said:

...In my opinion, a better approach would be to find treatments to mitigate the disease process and let natural herd immunity take place.

Actually, I thought the original plan was to do the first part until a vaccine was developed/distributed and that Herd Immunity is still the goal.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Zen Traveler said:

Actually, I thought the original plan was to do the first part until a vaccine was developed/distributed and that Herd Immunity is still the goal.

Yes, all of the 3 authorized so far are doing booster research as we speak for whatever variant is known and problematic going forward.

Herd immunity is the goal, likely acheived by vaccination.

• Like 1

I was in the Home Depot this weekend and made a point to see who was still wearing masks.  Our mask mandate doesn't end until this Wednesday (I believe).  There were about 10% of the people in the store with no masks.

37 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

There were about 10% of the people in the store with no masks.

I just gotta wonder what goes through those people's heads but if we stay away from them and it only numbers a few we still may be able to get by with minimal repercussions as folks get vaccinated. Otoh, Spring Break is upon us and if the cases surge again from the point we're at now it could bring back restrictions. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

A lot of it going around....

On 3/4/2021 at 10:16 AM, CECAA850 said:
On 3/4/2021 at 9:58 AM, Zen Traveler said:

If half of the people now decide not to wear masks then it stands to reason Covid-19 and it's variants will spread and will affect the mask wearers as well if they are in close proximity to the virus.

Pure speculation on your part.  Let's see what happens in 2 weeks.

I want to point out that it's things like this and No Mask Mandate that's going to keep the numbers high, imo...Fwiw, we will know by the beginning and into the middle of April if what I speculated above comes to fruition. I absolutely hope I'm wrong but don't really  see how I could be given what we know about Covid-19 and the increasing variants. 

• Like 1

Just now, Zen Traveler said:

I want to point out that it's things like this and No Mask Mandate is what is going to keep the numbers high...Fwiw, we will know by the beginning and into the middle of April if what I speculated above comes to fruition. I absolutely hope I'm wrong but don't really  see how I could be given what we know about Covid-19 and the increasing variants. 

Yes, afraid your correct. Give it till end of April though. Can't forget the spring breakers!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CECAA850 said:

I'm thinking that if there is indeed a spike we'll see it by the end of this month.

Well...The mandate doesn't end until the 10th and I bet there will be a cascading number of folks who don't wear them between now and Spring Break and my prediction was based on the numbers going up during this time frame and gather no one is claiming they will be considerably lower by :

2 hours ago, billybob said:

Yes, afraid your correct. Give it till end of April though. Can't forget the spring breakers!

We'll just see if we learned anything from over the last year as a country. 

• Like 1