Corona Virus Disease/(SARS-CoV-2) II

CECAA850

3 hours ago, Zen Traveler said:

Wow--this 300+ page thread is exactly a year old! 😱 Kudos to the moderators for keeping it open. Going back and  reading the first few pages made me realize  how AMAZING  of a time-capsule it is of the cascading events that we all just went through this last trip around the Sun. 👽 Hope everyone is well and thank you for your participation in this thread!👨‍🎓

Exactly one year ago today, my family departed NYC, returning from a Spring Break trip to see the sights.  Nothing was shut down in the city while we were there, nobody wearing masks yet, etc., but LaGuardia Airport traffic seemed really light already.  That may have been the last day of the pre-Covid way of life.  What a crazy year this has been.

• Like 1

In early January we attended a business convention in Denver.  Also in attendance were individuals from Wuhan, China.  Later that month we traveled to Chicago to attend a nephew’s wedding.  Attendees came from the corners of the US.  At the rehearsal dinner the bride’s brother made a Chinese flu joke that fell flat.  Then the lockdown began.  Those were the days.

13 hours ago, jimjimbo said:

Yea, 550,000 dead can’t be wrong…

The deaths are indeed tragic.  However, many of the hospital based docs I know say that the protocols being used may result in greatly inflated numbers and they know that some of the patients labeled as dying from the virus did not have it.  The PCR test methodology may not be as accurate as some would like to believe as is explained in this recently updated NY Times article.  At this point I don’t know what to believe, especially after reading about how the situation is viewed in other countries.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/29/health/coronavirus-testing.html

Maynard

2 hours ago, tube fanatic said:

The deaths are indeed tragic.  However, many of the hospital based docs I know say that the protocols being used may result in greatly inflated numbers and they know that some of the patients labeled as dying from the virus did not have it.  The PCR test methodology may not be as accurate as some would like to believe as is explained in this recently updated NY Times article.  At this point I don’t know what to believe, especially after reading about how the situation is viewed in other countries.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/29/health/coronavirus-testing.html

Maynard

Here is something more current and a reliable source: https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/debunking-the-false-claim-that-covid-death-counts-are-inflated1/  From the link:

Now some facts: Researchers know beyond a doubt that the number of COVID-19 deaths in the U.S. surpassed a quarter of a million people by November 2020. This number is supported by three lines of evidence, including death certificates. The inaccurate idea that only 6 percent of the deaths were really caused by the coronavirus is “a gross misinterpretation” of how death certificates work, says Robert Anderson, chief mortality statistician at the CDC's National Center for Health Statistics.

• Like 1

On 3/18/2020 at 7:47 AM, wvu80 said:

THE GREAT HUNT OF 2020

I'm getting to do my daily toilet paper run but I'm not optimistic.  TP is far and few between, but I didn't manage to live to my ripe old age without knowing where to look. 

If this hunt is unsuccessful my family will have to suffer yet another day.  Maybe I can find a random box of tissues or some baby wipes.  I'm desperate at this point.

To be continued...

I remember one day people sending memes on Facebook with TP jokes, to a week later being exactly where Wvu80 was. 😬

On 3/18/2020 at 9:44 AM, Greg_M said:

Chances of getting Corona.

Just saw a news headline that the amount of people who have been infected world wide has just soared to 200,000.

The amount of people who have died. world wide,  is 8,000.

There are currently 7,800,000,000 in the world. In case I put not enough zeros in, lets round it off to 8,000,000,000 (8 billion).

If you divide 8 billion by 8 thousand that is one in one million.

I don't know how many people there are now in the world but a year later there are currently 118,742,439 infected (67,253,779 recovered) and 2,632,364 deaths. 

The Race for Vaccine Against COVID-19 Variants Heats Up; 3 Stocks to Consider

new vaccines for new strains, will present a huge business opening for biopharma companies involved in vaccine research and production. Using the TipRanks database, we’ve pulled the details on three biopharma firms that stand to gain as the vaccination opportunities expand.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/race-vaccine-against-covid-19-153747059.html

3 hours ago, RandyH000 said:

The Race for Vaccine Against COVID-19 Variants Heats Up; 3 Stocks to Consider

new vaccines for new strains, will present a huge business opening for biopharma companies involved in vaccine research and production. Using the TipRanks database, we’ve pulled the details on three biopharma firms that stand to gain as the vaccination opportunities expand.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/race-vaccine-against-covid-19-153747059.html

That's definitely one way to look at it but this quote from sage @BigStewMan got me thinkin' how we also need to look at it globally...Sometimes we get too USA--centric and not realize how things are viewed globally and the repercussions...

On 3/17/2020 at 3:36 PM, BigStewMan said:

...I wonder if the rest of the world will be more wary of them vice welcoming them back with open arms?

not suggesting this is possible or even wise; but curious as to what a nation like China or Russia would do if the entire rest of the world gave them the cold shoulder?  

Both China and Russia are manufacturing vaccines and using it for Diplomacy regardless of their other offeneses. This is definitely  from a Russian source but it's being seen in those countries mentioned as much as CNN. China and Russia to ensure global access to Covid-19 vaccines — RT Sponsored content and ya gotta think minds are being changed about those two countries....

From the link: 

China and Russia are working hand in hand to provide global access to Covid-19 vaccines.

This is particularly relevant in a world where as little as ten countries control 75% of all vaccine supply, while many parts of the planet haven’t seen a single dose.

To ensure equal access to vaccination, the People’s Republic of China pledged to provide 10 million Covid-19 shots to developing nations through COVAX – a global vaccine-sharing initiative backed by the World Health Organization. As of today, China has donated vaccines to 69 nations and has started exporting doses to 43 countries. In addition, it has contributed a share of its vaccine supply to the UN peacekeeping force and is ready to provide vaccinations to to the International Olympic Committee (IOC) and Olympic athletes.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Zen Traveler said:

That's definitely one way to look at it but this quote from sage @BigStewMan got me thinkin' how we also need to look at it globally...Sometimes we get too USA--centric and not realize how things are viewed globally and the repercussions...

Both China and Russia are manufacturing vaccines and using it for Diplomacy regardless of their other offeneses. This is definitely  from a Russian source but it's being seen in those countries mentioned as much as CNN. China and Russia to ensure global access to Covid-19 vaccines — RT Sponsored content and ya gotta think minds are being changed about those two countries....

From the link: 

China and Russia are working hand in hand to provide global access to Covid-19 vaccines.

This is particularly relevant in a world where as little as ten countries control 75% of all vaccine supply, while many parts of the planet haven’t seen a single dose.

To ensure equal access to vaccination, the People’s Republic of China pledged to provide 10 million Covid-19 shots to developing nations through COVAX – a global vaccine-sharing initiative backed by the World Health Organization. As of today, China has donated vaccines to 69 nations and has started exporting doses to 43 countries. In addition, it has contributed a share of its vaccine supply to the UN peacekeeping force and is ready to provide vaccinations to to the International Olympic Committee (IOC) and Olympic athletes.

Yep.  China is its own empire in a sense.  It invests a lot in Africa.