Corona Virus Disease/(SARS-CoV-2) II

CECAA850

8 minutes ago, billybob said:

Isn't that abit like saying, you are either for us or against...

...Covid-19 spreading among our population? YES!

Over the last year of discussion it's pretty obvious ALL of us have a chance of either getting sick, being hospitalized, or spreading the Coronavirus and as Bosco has always said we are part of the solution to keep spread from happening. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Zen Traveler said:

...Covid-19 spreading among our population? YES!

Over the last year of discussion it's pretty obvious ALL of us have a chance of either getting sick, being hospitalized, or spreading the Coronavirus and as Bosco has always said we are part of the solution to keep spread from happening. 

It was a softball...sorry.

27 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

Quick google search found this.

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2020/04/04/dr-deborah-birx-this-is-not-the-time-to-go-to-the-grocery-store/

2 weeks to slow the curve was a catch phrase echoed by many early on in the pandemic.  Abbott got in on it also.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/politics/texas/article/Gov-Greg-Abbott-s-statewide-stay-home-order-15175150.php

I realize the comment was made but wanted to see what context he was putting it in. Thank you for sharing these links. What you call a "catch phrase," was a starting point that never got put into practice nationally. 

25 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

The common sentiment was "If it worked the first time why do we have to do it again and if it didn't work the first time why are we doing it again?"  LOL.

I couldn't get into the Houston Chronicle without a subscription, but agreed with Governor Abbott's lockdown. I think he opened up about 2 to 3 weeks too early. The goal was to lock down to keep the virus from spreading any further and then have contact tracing in place for those spots where it was flaring--That did not happen.

25 minutes ago, Madman1 said:

I’m not sure what link you’re talking about. This was a nation wide shut down that we all took part in to slow the spread, it didn’t happen.

Go back and check, but it wasn't "a nation wide shut down," and not every state even attempted to go by CDC guidelines. IMO, THAT was the problem.

My point was we look to these experts as gods when sometimes they really don’t know. And that’s exactly what happened with shut downs and masks. 

I'm sorry but no one sees experts as gods and it will be interesting to see the historical critique of this time period and pandemic. My guess is both are important and mask-wearing can prevent shut downs. We opened up wearing masks (before Texas required it) after being locked down for two months and had no Covid-19 spread at our business even though several clients did pick up the virus from somewhere else.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Zen Traveler said:

We opened up wearing masks (before Texas required it) after being locked down for two months and had no Covid-19 spread at our business even though several clients did pick up the virus from somewhere else.

Mask wearing was virtually non existent at my job.  We never had one employee out with covid.  We never shut down as we were considered essential.

4 minutes ago, Zen Traveler said:
27 minutes ago, Madman1 said:

I’m not sure what link you’re talking about. This was a nation wide shut down that we all took part in to slow the spread, it didn’t happen.

Go back and check, but it wasn't "a nation wide shut down," and not every state even attempted to go by CDC guidelines. IMO, THAT was the problem.

2 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

Mask wearing was virtually non existent at my job.  We never had one employee out with covid.

See @Madman1. Texas had a mask requirement and not every business abided by it.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Zen Traveler said:

See @Madman1. Texas had a mask requirement and not every business abided by it.

Correct and nothing negative came from it.

BTW, it's not my business nor do I make policy here.  Just relaying what happened.  A busy business actually stayed open for a year (virtually) maskless yet not one employee contracted covid.  

31 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

Correct and nothing negative came from it.

Well...If Coronavirus didn't negatively effect your business, congratulations.  We took measures for it not to spread in ours after being forced to close for 2 months. Mask wearing may have been optional (even thought they called it a mandate) but we were not allowed to open between March 18th to May 22nd. Also, numbers here have been going down for the last 2 weeks and we'll see if resending the mask *mandate* has an effect. I think it will but otoh, maybe with vaccines and alot of people continuing to mask things may be improving enough--We'll see. 

• Like 1

NYC Variant B.1.526

Ex-FDA head warns COVID-19 variant could infect vaccinated New Yorkers

New York’s homegrown COVID-19 variant may be infecting people who have already had the virus — or even been vaccinated, the former head of the Food and Drug Administration said Sunday.

Dr. Scott Gottlieb said it remains unclear if the COVID-19 variant, known as B.1.526, is driving viral surges in Brooklyn, Queens and Staten Island

.https://nypost.com/2021/03/21/new-yorks-covid-variant-may-infect-vaccinated-residents/

• Sad 1

European Scientists Zero In On AstraZeneca Blood Clot Link

Two teams of European scientists, working independently, say they believe they've identified the cause of a rare blood clotting condition that has occurred in some people after receiving the AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine.

If correct, their research could mean any blood clots that occur could be easily treated.

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2021/03/21/979781065/european-scientists-zero-in-on-astrazeneca-blood-clot-link

• Like 1

Low-dose aspirin may help avoid COVID's worst outcomes

A new study is adding to the growing body of evidence that low-dose aspirin helps lessen the harsher effects of contracting the coronavirus.

The study, conducted by George Washington University researchers and published in the journal Anesthesia and Analgesia, examined the records of 412 patients admitted to U.S. hospitals with COVID-19 from March to July of last year.

Of those, nearly 24% had taken aspirin seven days or less before of hospital admission or within 24 hours after admission. More than 40% of those patients had improved results in key areas compared to patients who did not take the cheap, widely available drug.

"Aspirin may have lung-protective effects and reduce the need for mechanical ventilation, ICU admission, and in-hospital mortality in hospitalized COVID-19 patients,'' the report concluded.

The researchers warned that a randomized controlled trial would be needed to establish a causal relationship, but a study conducted around the same time last year in Israel also found a link between taking so-called baby aspirin and better COVID-19 outcomes.

https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/20210315/low-dose-aspirin-may-help-shield-you-from-covid-19#1

• Like 1

Brazil, Hit by Covid-19 Variant, Surpasses U.S. in Daily Cases and Deaths

SÃO PAULO—Brazil has overtaken the U.S. as the country with the most daily Covid-19 cases and deaths in the world, as an aggressive strain of the disease from the Amazon leaves Latin America’s biggest nation scrambling for space in hospitals and cemeteries.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/brazil-hit-by-covid-19-variant-surpasses-u-s-in-daily-cases-and-deaths-11615385902

• Sad 1

U.S. COVID-19 deaths fall 22% last week, daily vaccinations set record

(Reuters) - The United States reported a 22% decline in deaths from COVID-19 last week, while vaccinations accelerated to a record 2.4 million shots per day, according to a Reuters analysis of state, county and CDC data.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-usa-trends-idUSKBN2B72F7

• Like 1

Just looking at numbers as they're fascinating to me.  In TX, the death rate for covid patients is 164 out of every 100,000 patients.  Of those 164 deaths, 136 had commodities.   Basically covid deaths for healthy people are running .00028 of the population.  That's from everything in the past year.  I'd wager that the percentages are even lower now as treatment is better now than in the beginning due to advances in treatment from all that has been learned about the disease.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

Just looking at numbers as they're fascinating to me.  In TX, the death rate for covid patients is 164 out of every 100,000 patients.  Of those 164 deaths, 136 had commodities....

Hmm. I'm not sure where your numbers come from but here is how it stands in Denton County: https://gis-covid19-dentoncounty.hub.arcgis.com/pages/covid-19cases

It says we've had 71071 cases of which 453 have died to date.

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Zen Traveler said:

Hmm. I'm not sure where your numbers come from but here is how it stands in Denton County: https://gis-covid19-dentoncounty.hub.arcgis.com/pages/covid-19cases

It says we've had 71071 cases of which 453 have died to date.

I looked at the state numbers.  Probably should have posted a link.  I got the numbers from 2 different sites.