Corona Virus Disease/(SARS-CoV-2) II

CECAA850

12 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

What's your basis for this wild assumption?  I think I've had one flu shot in my life and never get the flu.  I'd wager that there are less people that got the flu shot than do in any given year.

I may have had a flu shot but couldn't tell you when it was and it hasn't been in the last 25 years or so. I also have been fortunate to be healthy all of my life. I work around alot of children as well as adult and always felt I've had a healthy immune system...What I learned about Covid I'm curious to see if it translates to the flu virus as well insofar as those with no to mild symptoms may still spread the disease to others. Insofar as covid is concerned, the actual Coronavirus spreads easier and faster although i haven't seen how many people could also be naturally immune.

Anyway, like folks have said, the Influenza kills tens of thousands in this country every year so we should expect to see at least the same path with Covid-19...the wildcard is how good therapeutics will be  in dealing with the latter. That's my take and it's not a wild assumption when you think about it.

1 hour ago, CECAA850 said:

What's your basis for this wild assumption?  I think I've had one flu shot in my life and never get the flu.  I'd wager that there are less people that got the flu shot than do in any given year.

I guess we’re the same - but different. Like you I’ve never had the flu yet for the past several years I get a flu shot in the fall. My doctor recommended it as does my wife. Now getting the COVID vaccine seems the logical thing to do in light of the way we’ve had to live over the past year. And although I look much younger than you, I’m actually older. So I have that too — 

1 hour ago, Zen Traveler said:

That's my take and it's not a wild assumption when you think about it.

I've been vaccinated against whooping cough as has my entire family.  My oldest daughter and I both came down with it after a trip to New Mexico.  I guess that has left me a little jaded as far as vaccines go.

Just now, richieb said:

Now getting the COVID vaccine seems the logical thing to do in light of the way we’ve had to live over the past year. 

Nothing has really changed in our lives other than a slow down at work occasionally and wearing masks.  We're fortunate that this whole Wuhan thing has been pretty much a non event.  The closest its come to us is that my older brother got it and missed a couple weeks of bowling. 

I'm sorry but you look more like the crypt keeper than someone younger than me.  Someone had to say it.

11 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

Nothing has really changed in our lives other than a slow down at work occasionally and wearing masks.  We're fortunate that this whole Wuhan thing has been pretty much a non event.  The closest its come to us is that my older brother got it and missed a couple weeks of bowling....

Way to go. It pretty much upended our lives for most of the last year and we too haven't had Covid. 

1 hour ago, CECAA850 said:

I'm sorry but you look more like the crypt keeper than someone younger than me.  Someone had to say it.

Well now, that’s a bit harsh. Shall we assume you’re under the influence of Mr. Slushie ? 

14 hours ago, jimjimbo said:

You link does not say anything about being "exempt", nor does it say anything about unions?  Where are you getting this information?  The following is directly from the Rutgers message:

This health policy update means that, with limited exceptions, all students planning to attend in the Fall 2021 semester must be fully vaccinated. In parallel, we continue to strongly urge all Rutgers faculty and staff to get immunized against COVID-19 at the earliest opportunity.

Read the last 2 paragraphs at the end of this article:

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/rutgers-university-students-vaccinated-190844608.html

Unless things have changed, employees are represented by 19 union locals.

Maynard

Five reasons why COVID herd immunity is probably impossible

Even with vaccination efforts in full force, the theoretical threshold for vanquishing COVID-19 looks to be out of reach.

As COVID-19 vaccination rates pick up around the world, people have reasonably begun to ask: how much longer will this pandemic last? It’s an issue surrounded with uncertainties. But the once-popular idea that enough people will eventually gain immunity to SARS-CoV-2 to block most transmission — a ‘herd-immunity threshold’ — is starting to look unlikely.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-00728-2

16 hours ago, RandyH000 said:

Maynard ----for the great article -your point is very well understood

Here is another article which highlights the legality of mandating a treatment which is not yet approved, and also discusses the protection offered to some employees by their unions.  

https://finance.yahoo.com/m/ec8be132-9dbb-3ba2-ab82-ff3e66041a40/‘if-a-student-chooses-to-come.html

I imagine there will be some interesting legal precedents set before this is resolved.  Any thoughts from forum members outside the US about how this is evolving in your country?  

Maynard

48 minutes ago, tube fanatic said:

Here is another article which highlights the legality of mandating a treatment which is not yet approved, and also discusses the protection offered to some employees by their unions.  

https://finance.yahoo.com/m/ec8be132-9dbb-3ba2-ab82-ff3e66041a40/‘if-a-student-chooses-to-come.html

I imagine there will be some interesting legal precedents set before this is resolved.  Any thoughts from forum members outside the US about how this is evolving in your country?  

Maynard

in Canada ,  salaries paid to front line workers has doubled , this was obtained after negotiations with the Unions  -

22 minutes ago, RandyH000 said:

unless the population is vaccinated , the death tolls will rise ever higher ,  the vaccine is the only hope we have

I took @RandyH000 quote from the other thread but thought the overall discussion would be better here.

On 3/17/2020 at 9:57 AM, CECAA850 said:

Unfortunately the whole country is eat up with that or the equivalent.  It seems that no one is immune.  I wish they'd work up a vaccine for it.

THEY DID! 👨‍🎓

On 4/7/2020 at 11:50 AM, Wolfbane said:

It is extremely unlikely that we will achieve herd immunity from this virus unless we get a vaccine which is widely deployed worldwide. It is quite likely that this virus will be lurking for a couple of years or until most people are vaccinated (assuming we get a vaccine developed in the near term)....

I agree and that is what the experts have been saying for quite some time.

On 11/16/2020 at 3:15 PM, CECAA850 said:

Die from covid or die from covid vaccine.   Everybody needs to decide for themselves.   The chances are small in both scenarios i would guess.

I would agree with you but there aren't any large spread deaths attributed to the vaccine. 

On 4/26/2020 at 6:28 PM, Deang said:

That's true. We've been there. With no herd immunity and no vaccine, H1N1 took out 50 million people, which is exactly why they should have been way out ahead of this one.

We've come full circle to Dean's comment which I totally agree with and seems to be the scientific consensus. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

You have nothing better to do than go back thtough a years worth of posts to try and slide political jabs in and hope no one notices?   

What?😞I didn't try to slide anything in except point out you were hoping for a vaccine  last March and now we have several. 

We weren't required to get the vaccine by our employer, but after we had, we just got a bonus for having received ours. The bonus was small, $50, but more are getting shots. They are also doing a drawing every two weeks for a $500 prize, only those who have had their shots are entered.

• Like 1