Corona Virus Disease/(SARS-CoV-2) II

CECAA850

27 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

The latest from Faucci on if eating indoors in restaurants is safe post vaccination:

"No, it's still not," Fauci said. "For the simple reason that level of infection, the dynamics of infection in the community are still really disturbingly high."

"If you are vaccinated, please remember that you still have to be careful and not get involved in crowded situations, particularly indoors where people are not wearing masks," he said.

I thought that after you were vaccinated you were immune??????

You are not totally  immune. You can still get it and pass it on without knowing you have it.

JJK

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

Hes seeing less than one tenth of one percent of your local population i would guess.  He wouldn't have any long-term info on the vaccine either.

Wait what???  ICU nurse says vaccine is bad, therefore vaccine is bad, scary and dangerous. Pulmonologist says COVID is bad, and he's not credible. Because he works in a major hospital in a city of 350k and has been training in medicine for 35 years. Good luck man.

With that, I'm done here. Yikes.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, JJkizak said:

You are not totally  immune. You can still get it and pass it on without knowing you have it.

JJK

Wait, you get the vaccine and you're not immune?  I thought the vaccine was supposed to bring about herd immunity?

1 minute ago, iaRIVR said:

Wait what???  ICU nurse says vaccine is bad, therefore vaccine is bad, scary and dangerous. Pulmonologist says COVID is bad, and he's not credible. Because he works in a major hospital in a city of 350k and has been training in medicine for 35 years. Good luck man.

With that, I'm done here. Yikes.

No one is debating the fact that covid can be bad news.  At least I'm not.

3 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

Wait, you get the vaccine and you're not immune?  I thought the vaccine was supposed to bring about herd immunity?

nor yet ---

The U.S. may soon hit a COVID-19 vaccine wall. Here’s what that means

What does a COVID-19 vaccine wall mean? What does it mean for a herd immunity?

What is a vaccine wall?

Axios suggested this means the United States will hit a “vaccine wall,” where the supply meets the demand and the “focus will abruptly shift to convincing holdouts to get vaccinated.”

• “This analysis shows that despite the general vaccine enthusiasm we are seeing now in the United States, things are going to get really difficult really soon,” said Sema Sgaier, Surgo’s CEO, according to Axios.

https://www.deseret.com/coronavirus/2021/4/11/22375402/covid-19-vaccine-wall-united-states

56 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

No, it's still not," Fauci said. "For the simple reason that level of infection, the dynamics of infection in the community are still really disturbingly high."

"If you are vaccinated, please remember that you still have to be careful and not get involved in crowded situations, particularly indoors where people are not wearing masks," he said.

I agree because the posted studies showed you were between 80 to 95% protected. Otoh, reading between the lines and only 20% of the population vaccinated he may look at the overall picture of folks not wearing a mask and businesses relying on people's word they are vaccinated...It's like one of the latenight show's host observing of the unmasked individual "Vaccinated or idiot?" That is another reason for the Universal Covid-19 Vaccination Passport, imo. The numbers are still high in most places with several going up. That's my take.

19 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

It is and see above for my reaction to Fauci's comments.

14 minutes ago, RandyH000 said:

What is a vaccine wall?

Axios suggested this means the United States will hit a “vaccine wall,” where the supply meets the demand and the “focus will abruptly shift to convincing holdouts to get vaccinated.”

It seems if we don't get the 70% threshold and there are alot of holdouts then the virus will keep spreading with mutations occurring at a rapid pace and we will never get in front of it. Yes those who are vaccinated are protected as of now but when you keep adding fuel the fire gets bigger. Hospitals and ICUs will be perpetually have a high percentage of Covid patients and special wards will continue to be maintained. 

17 minutes ago, Zen Traveler said:

It's like one of the latenight show's host observing of the unmasked individual "Vaccinated or idiot?"

Late night show host = idiot.

The herd immunity number seems to be a moving target.  I think it started around 60 -70%, now I've seen numbers all the way up to 90%.  They look at the population percentage that's been vaccinated.  You'd think they'd add in all the people who have had it and recovered as having immunity also.  EDIT, I see that there are over 24 million recovered.

Antibody cocktail helps prevent coronavirus infections in same households

An antibody cocktail reduced the risk of developing symptomatic COVID-19 by 81% in people living in the same household as a positive case, according to results from a phase 3 trial.

Regeneron Pharmaceuticals monoclonal antibody cocktail is made up of two antibodies designed to block SARS-CoV-2 infection by binding to its spike protein. Under emergency use authorization, Regeneron's antibody cocktail, as well as another one developed by the company Eli Lilly, are already being used to treat COVID-19 patients who aren't hospitalized but are at high risk for developing severe disease, according to The New York Times.

https://www.livescience.com/antibody-cocktail-works-preventatively-covid-19.html

Michigan's Covid-19 crisis could be a sign of what's to come for the US, expert says

As the US races to vaccinate more Americans, Covid-19 cases and hospitalizations are rising, predominantly among younger people who haven't yet gotten a shot.

Some experts worry this might only be the start of what's to come in the next weeks. Michigan is already in the middle of a violent surge, and one epidemiologist says other states should be paying close attention.

• Like 1

Katalin Kariko at her home in Jenkintown, Pa., in February. Dr. Kariko’s early research into mRNA eventually led to development of the Moderna and Pfizer-BioNTech vaccines.

Kati Kariko Helped Shield the World From the Coronavirus  

Collaborating with devoted colleagues, Dr. Kariko laid the groundwork for the mRNA vaccines turning the tide of the pandemic.

She grew up in Hungary, daughter of a butcher. She decided she wanted to be a scientist, although she had never met one. She moved to the United States in her 20s, but for decades never found a permanent position, instead clinging to the fringes of academia.

Now Katalin Kariko, 66, known to colleagues as Kati, has emerged as one of the heroes of Covid-19 vaccine development. Her work, with her close collaborator, Dr. Drew Weissman of the University of Pennsylvania, laid the foundation for the stunningly successful vaccines made by Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/08/health/coronavirus-mrna-kariko.html

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

The herd immunity number seems to be a moving target.  I think it started around 60 -70%, now I've seen numbers all the way up to 90%.  They look at the population percentage that's been vaccinated.  You'd think they'd add in all the people who have had it and recovered as having immunity also.  EDIT, I see that there are over 24 million recovered.

I've posted this before insofar a Herd Immunity is concerned: Herd immunity and COVID-19 (coronavirus): What you need to know - Mayo Clinic  From the link: 

Even if infection with the COVID-19 virus creates long-lasting immunity, a large number of people would have to become infected to reach the herd immunity threshold. Experts estimate that in the U.S., 70% of the population — more than 200 million people — would have to recover from COVID-19 to halt the epidemic.

18 minutes ago, RandyH000 said:

Michigan's Covid-19 crisis could be a sign of what's to come for the US, expert says

As the US races to vaccinate more Americans, Covid-19 cases and hospitalizations are rising, predominantly among younger people who haven't yet gotten a shot.

Some experts worry this might only be the start of what's to come in the next weeks. Michigan is already in the middle of a violent surge, and one epidemiologist says other states should be paying close attention.

If alot of folks don't get vaccinated for whatever reason and continue not to practice Social Distancing or mask wearing then this cycle will continue...From the same link that I posted above from the Mayo Clinic: 

If many people become sick with COVID-19 at once, the health care system could quickly become overwhelmed. This amount of infection could also lead to serious complications and millions of deaths, especially among older people and those who have chronic conditions.

How can you slow the transmission of COVID-19?

It's crucial to slow the spread of the COVID-19 virus and protect individuals at increased risk of severe illness, including older adults and people of any age with underlying health conditions. When possible, get a COVID-19 vaccine. Also, take steps to reduce the risk of infection:

FEMA -- $9,000 for Covid-19 funeral expenses

Families who lost loved ones to Covid-19 can now get help with funeral expenses from the Federal Emergency Management Agency -

The agency launched on Monday a hotline -- 844-684-6333 -- to apply for up to $9,000 in assistance per burial.

16 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

The latest from Faucci on if eating indoors in restaurants is safe post vaccination:

"No, it's still not," Fauci said. "For the simple reason that level of infection, the dynamics of infection in the community are still really disturbingly high."

Dr doom. He has become a publicity seeker more than anything else lately. I know plenty people now that have had the virus including people over 70 with no real problems. Just a more severe flu than normal. I mentioned my best friend dying after catching the virus but the truth be told he probably had other health issues that contributed to his dying. Went through my grandson's college the first few weeks without any serious problems. Appears to be serious mostly for the elderly with other health issues. I think it is time to get back to normal wbut taking more caution. I plan on still wearing a mask when shopping myself as Japan has been doing for decades before covid. Took my Johnson and Johnson vaccination but still being cautious because of age and health issues even though thinking I may have already had it and been vaccinated as well.