Corona Virus Disease/(SARS-CoV-2) II

CECAA850

J &J product is temporarily suspended in US due to blood clots in 6 women.  Not stated in the article, but in the news on NY radio station WOR, is that one died and another is in critical condition.  All are between 18 and 48 years old.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/johnson-johnson-vaccine-should-be-paused-u-s-after-extremely-n1263898

Maynard

"With all due modesty, I think I'm pretty effective."

--Anthony Fauci, poolside

Masks from the "store" don't "keep the virus out".

--Anthony Fauci, Today Show Interview, also USA Today a month later

Anthony Fauci has worn out his welcome

We shouldn't expect people in the public health sphere to have all the answers, but don't pretend you do if you don't.

6 hours ago, henry4841 said:

Dr doom. He has become a publicity seeker more than anything else lately.

Given how long he's been at his job I absolutely believe the opposite and wish he had been the spokesperson and point man from the beginning instead of politicians.

Appears to be serious mostly for the elderly with other health issues.

This is exactly correct and the problem was how many were taking up hospital and ICU beds with so many dying afterwards.

I think it is time to get back to normal wbut taking more caution. I plan on still wearing a mask when shopping myself as Japan has been doing for decades before covid. Took my Johnson and Johnson vaccination but still being cautious because of age and health issues even though thinking I may have already had it and been vaccinated as well. 

I agree with all of this.

4 hours ago, Sam S. said:

"With all due modesty, I think I'm pretty effective."

--Anthony Fauci, poolside

Masks from the "store" don't "keep the virus out".

--Anthony Fauci, Today Show Interview, also USA Today a month later

Anthony Fauci has worn out his welcome

We shouldn't expect people in the public health sphere to have all the answers, but don't pretend you do if you don't.

I am not going to give a second opinion on this because I feel the links are political opinions in themselves. 

• Like 1

On 4/12/2021 at 2:46 PM, oldtimer said:

The point is that whack job does not seem to discriminate by occupation.  Just look around.

Even Prince Philip was early on not a fan of generalization.

The exception rule of thought is still a major consideration, as has been.

And should remain so.

22 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

No one is debating the fact that covid can be bad news.  At least I'm not.

The numbers of the past do not look good. At the present, we are still in the eye of the maelstrom.

It should behoove some to actually come to this reality.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

Here's some crazy new technology.  An implanted chip that tests for covid and a filter that will remove the virus from your bloodstream

https://news.yahoo.com/pentagon-unveils-microchip-senses-covid-231239955.html

fantastic---------but I wonder if they will still use vaccinations on top of this Chip-  

1 minute ago, CECAA850 said:

Looks like a slight upward trend.  Certainly not as bad as it's been in the past.

https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#trends_dailytrendscases

Since folk are still dying from it, it is bad. We also do not know yet, how the infected of the past will fare in the future. You may agree that this is not just a coin toss decision.

31 minutes ago, billybob said:

Since folk are still dying from it, it is bad.

Who said that covid isn't bad?  You said that we were in the "eye of the maelstrom" and the CDC chart doesn't agree with that.  it was much worse previously.

32 minutes ago, billybob said:

We also do not know yet, how the infected of the past will fare in the future.

We don't know how those vaccinated will fare in the future either.  That's the thing about the future.

32 minutes ago, billybob said:

You may agree that this is not just a coin toss decision.

What isn't a coin toss decision?

1 hour ago, CECAA850 said:
2 hours ago, billybob said:

Since folk are still dying from it, it is bad.

Who said that covid isn't bad?  You said that we were in the "eye of the maelstrom" and the CDC chart doesn't agree with that.  it was much worse previously.

Given the "Coin toss" comment below I have to disagree. If the vaccine doesn't work like they say it's working we'll know soon. If it does and we don't get enough Americans to reach Herd Immunity level of 70% (either infected or vaccinated) the virus will continue to spread in the unvaccinated community and that is what makes hospitalizations rise, correct?

We also do not know yet, how the infected of the past will fare in the future.

We don't know how those vaccinated will fare in the future either.  That's the thing about the future.

At the beginning of the pandemic there were those that didn't think Covid-19 would spread and that we didn't really need to take any precautions--That has proven to be false. Given my comments above and assuming that vaccinations work, is it safe to say the remaining non-vaxers still spreading Covid among themselves  could be getting back to Hospitals  admitting more Covid-19 patients than they are now? If so, those numbers will definitely effect the ICU and total bed numbers going forward which is still a concern, right? 

You may agree that this is not just a coin toss decision.

What isn't a coin toss decision?

It's not a coin toss decision that if vaccinations work like they are reported to do that if we did achieve Herd immunity folks won't be going to the hospital for covid, but you are worried about them filling up with vaccinated people because you are predicting either the vaccinated people will have complications or it just simply won't work....That's what I'm gleaning from @CECAA850's pov.

Imo, it's like saying that Lockdowns didn't work when in fact they were lifted too early (and no contact-tracing in place) and I am saying that from the beginning they said the only way to get ahead of this virus is to try and achieve Herd Immunity. Imo, the only way @CECAA850 could be correct is if the vaccine doesn't prove to be effective--In the meantime we can use hospitalization due to covid being the barometer of where spread is a factor in overall health policy. Everyone agrees people are in the hospital due to covid and imo, only the Herd Immunity situation is where we can get those numbers down.

• Like 1

Okay here is the current numbers for Denton County: Denton County GIS - COVID-19 Information - COVID-19Cases (arcgis.com)

If you go down to hospitalizations our percentage of covid patients on Aprill 22, 2020 was 3.2% and today it's 4.5%. They are still predicted it will go up so I think @billybob's assessment is correct if we don't get ahead of the virus by trying to get at least an effort towards Herd Immunity (somewhere between 50 to 70+% vaccinated we are in the middle of this pandemic. 

US intelligence community warns of devastating long-term impact of coronavirus pandemic

The fallout from the Covid-19 pandemic is poised to fracture societies worldwide, increase instability across the globe and reshape political and economic realities for years to come, the US intelligence community warned in a stark report laying out the top security concerns facing the country.

"The economic fallout from the pandemic is likely to create or worsen instability in at least a few—and perhaps many—countries, as people grow more desperate in the face of interlocking pressures that include sustained economic downturns, job losses, and disrupted supply chains," the report warns.
That dire economic picture boosts the risk of internal conflicts, surges in cross-border migration and even the collapse of national governments, officials warned.

NY-NH-Vermont pause use of J&J vaccine use after FDA recommendation

(WIVB) — The U.S. Food & Drug Administration (FDA) and Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) have recommended a pause in the use of Johnson & Johnson COVID-19 vaccines while they investigate very rare instances of severe side effects.

A rare but severe type of blood clot was reported to be found in six people who received the vaccine, or 0.00008824%.

“Right now, these adverse events appear to be extremely rare,” the FDA wrote on Twitter. They went onto say that treating this kind of blood clot is different than typical treatment.

Anyone who received J&J vaccine and develops symptoms of severe headache, stomach or abdominal pain, leg pain or shortness of breath within three weeks of their vaccination should contact their health care provider, the county said in a press release.

https://www.wivb.com/health/coronavirus/fda-recommends-pause-of-jj-vaccine-use-due-to-reported-blood-clots/

https://www.mynbc5.com/article/new-york-vermont-pause-johnson-and-johnson-covid-19-vaccine-following-federal-guidance/36107542#

Covid: Brazil has more than 4,000 deaths in 24 hours for first time

Brazil has recorded more than 4,000 Covid-related deaths in 24 hours for the first time, as a more contagious variant fuels a surge in cases.

Hospitals are overcrowded, with people dying as they wait for treatment in some cities, and the health system is on the brink of collapse in many areas.

The country's total death toll is now almost 337,000, second only to the US.

But President Jair Bolsonaro continues to oppose any lockdown measures to curb the outbreak.

He argues that the damage to the economy would be worse than the effects of the virus itself, and has tried to reverse some of the restrictions imposed by local authorities in the courts.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-56657818

1 hour ago, henry4841 said:

Tucker Carlson, Fox news, talks about the J&J vaccine on last nights show. J&J is the one I got 5 weeks ago. Who can you trust these days?

I didn't see the show and hope it's something they can figure out...That said, 6 cases out of 6 million shots given means you have a good chance of it not getting a blood clot but it's good to see they are keeping an eye one it. From Randy's link above:

NY-NH-Vermont pause use of J&J vaccine use after FDA recommendation

(WIVB) — The U.S. Food & Drug Administration (FDA) and Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) have recommended a pause in the use of Johnson & Johnson COVID-19 vaccines while they investigate very rare instances of severe side effects.

A rare but severe type of blood clot was reported to be found in six people who received the vaccine, or 0.00008824%.

“Right now, these adverse events appear to be extremely rare,” the FDA wrote on Twitter. They went onto say that treating this kind of blood clot is different than typical treatment.

Anyone who received J&J vaccine and develops symptoms of severe headache, stomach or abdominal pain, leg pain or shortness of breath within three weeks of their vaccination should contact their health care provider, the county said in a press release.

https://www.wivb.com/health/coronavirus/fda-recommends-pause-of-jj-vaccine-use-due-to-reported-blood-clots/