Corona Virus Disease/(SARS-CoV-2) II

CECAA850

• Moderators
14 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

Who determines if it's coincidental or causal?

Bill Gates?

I think it's the Advisory Committee on Immunization practices (ACIP), that who handled J&J. 15 voting members, staggered 4 year terms, appointed by Director of HHS from nominated applicants.

They meet next week, on the agenda is J&J cases, approval of Pfizer for 16 to 18. 

Looking For A Bed For Daddy Lolo: Inside The Philippines' COVID Crisis

Eighty-year-old Nardo Samson, a retired policeman, lay dying in the back of a makeshift ambulance. It was nearly Easter. A surge in coronavirus cases triggered yet another lockdown in the capital Manila, where a confusing patchwork of quarantines to contain the virus persists.

His family's race to save him is part of a larger tableau of the pandemic in the Philippines. Relatives desperate to save a critically ill loved one are left to fend for themselves

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2021/05/07/994187886/looking-for-a-bed-for-daddy-lolo-inside-the-philippines-covid-crisis

PH had highest new COVID-19 cases in Southeast Asia during surge — ex DOH chief

The Philippines had the highest number of daily confirmed new COVID-19 cases in Southeast Asia during its recent surge of coronavirus infections attributed partly to the more transmissible SARS-CoV-2 variants, former Health Secretary Dr. Esperanza Cabral said Saturday.

https://newsinfo.inquirer.net/1429072/ph-had-highest-new-covid-19-cases-in-southeast-asia-during-surge-ex-doh-chief

Coronavirus: Philippines could face India-like surge, doctor warns, as infections pass 1 million

Dr Rodrigo Ong of independent OCTA Research Group think tank said the country was at the ‘same crosspoint’ as India in its fight against virus

20 hours ago, dwilawyer said:

They meet next week, on the agenda is J&J cases, approval of Pfizer for 16 to 18. 

I think you mean 12 to 15. It will be interesting to see if they reach a decision on Wednesday.

Regarding the causal vs coincidental issue, a friend’s husband died recently. He was 80 or more, had extremely low blood pressure (cause not revealed) and late stage dementia. His family had to protest the inclusion of Covid-19 as a cause of his death. This is probably more the case rather than the exception. I experienced a similar issue with my father’s death certificate, smoking was listed as causal and I never saw or heard of him smoking in the 50 years prior to his death. Makes one wonder, eh?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RandyH000 said:

I  agree to disagree ,  I think he should retire -

There's an african proverb that says whenever and old person dies, a library burns to the ground.

There are a lot of old folks with a lot of knowledge, knowledge that disappears when they retire or die.

Shame on us for letting it happen.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Marvel said:

There's an african proverb that says whenever and old person dies,a library burns to the ground.

it's wisdom  , Bruce ,   600 000 libraries  burned to the Ground  since Jan 2020-

Someone asked about COVID comorbidities, or conditions contributing to COVID deaths. The CDC publishes those data. As of 5/2/21, 1,548,610 conditions contributing to death were listed in addition to COVID (560,616). You can also view those data by age group, state, etc. For those curious, here's the list:

Condition COVID-19 Deaths
Influenza and pneumonia 257,022
Chronic lower respiratory diseases 49,659
Adult respiratory distress syndrome 58,537
Respiratory failure 210,769
Respiratory arrest 11,866
Other diseases of the respiratory system 23,427
Hypertensive diseases 110,763
Ischemic heart disease 61,327
Cardiac arrest 68,105
Cardiac arrhythmia 41,680
Heart failure 42,831
Cerebrovascular diseases 27,788
Other diseases of the circulatory system 35,720
Sepsis 53,604
Malignant neoplasms 26,525
Diabetes 89,748
Obesity 22,204
Alzheimer disease 20,411
Vascular and unspecified dementia 55,189
Renal failure 55,849
Intentional and unintentional injury, poisoning, and other adverse events 11,227
All other conditions and causes (residual) 214,359

COVID-19 560,616

On 5/9/2021 at 1:12 PM, RandyH000 said:
On 5/8/2021 at 7:41 AM, Marvel said:

I doubt that

I  agree to disagree ,  I think he should retire

Of course a person of Dr Fauci's character and expertise understands what's going on in India! Saying he "forgets the poverty " there is idiotic, imo.

• Like 1

It may be time to relax indoor face mask mandates, Fauci says

Dr. Anthony Fauci says federal guidance on wearing face coverings indoors may change soon.

Sunday on ABC News, Fauci was asked whether it's time to start relaxing indoor masks requirements. Fauci replied, "I think so, and I think you're going to probably be seeing that as we go along, and as more people get vaccinated."

Fauci says there's 'no doubt we have been undercounting' the number of people who died from COVID-19

Dr. Anthony Fauci, said Sunday that he's not surprised new data shows the COVID-19 death toll has likely been severely undercounted. 

A new study published earlier this week estimates that more than 900,000 Americans have died from COVID-19, nearly double the amount recorded by health officials and trackers.

https://www.businessinsider.com/fauci-no-doubt-undercount-covid-19-death-toll-2021-5

http://www.healthdata.org/special-analysis/estimation-excess-mortality-due-covid-19-and-scalars-reported-covid-19-deaths

Country

Total COVID-19 deaths

Reported COVID-19 deaths

United States of America

FDA authorizes Pfizer coronavirus vaccine for adolescents 12 to 15 years old

The Food and Drug Administration cleared the first coronavirus vaccine for emergency use in children as young as 12 on Monday, expanding access to the Pfizer-BioNTech shot to adolescents ahead of the next school year and marking another milestone in the nation’s battle with the virus.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2021/05/10/coronavirus-vaccine-for-kids/

A 23-year-old Italian woman received 6 times the recommended amount of Pfizer's coronavirus vaccine

A 23-year-old Italian woman received six doses of Pfizer's coronavirus vaccine on Sunday, after a nurse at a hospital in Tuscany accidentally injected an entire vial.

Pfizer's shot is supposed to come in two doses, administered three weeks apart.

The woman is in stable condition after receiving fluids and the pain reliever paracetamol

https://www.businessinsider.com/italian-woman-6-doses-pfizer-coronavirus-vaccine-accident-2021-5

• Like 1

Coronavirus Strain Found in India Is a ‘Variant of Concern,’ WHO Says

The World Health Organization on Monday classified a coronavirus variant first spotted in India as a global “variant of concern,” saying preliminary studies showed it may be more transmissible than some other variants.

The WHO didn’t report any evidence suggesting that currently authorized vaccines would be less effective against the variant.

The variant, known as B.1.617, is being studied by scientists around the world as they try to figure out its role in the fast growing Covid-19 surge in India, which reported more than 366,000 new daily cases on Monday. The variant has already spread to more than 30 countries, according to the WHO, including the U.S., the U.K., France and Japan.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/coronavirus-strain-found-in-india-is-a-variant-of-concern-who-says-11620662311