Corona Virus Disease/(SARS-CoV-2) II

CECAA850

“Catastrophe medicine” - this is what Italy has imposed on its overburdened healthcare systems - all of them. It is war time triage. There, with roughly 15,000 cases of covid 19, so many are critical that the docs are now required to choose who gets life saving care..... and their government announced their triage guidelines. So if you get critically ill or compromised in any way, by any disease or trauma your level of care will depend on these guidelines. In essence only the strong will be allowed access to critical care. People will now die from other ailments, from trauma, from any lethal situation because their systems are plugged up with too many covid sufferers.

THIS is why we ALL “MUST” do our utmost to slow the spread of this disease. Our health systems have their own limits which can get filled quickly. You could get covid and survive because of your age and health status........  then dump your motorcycle and require some fast and serious care - nope, not available. Too busy, too full.... too bad - so sad.

This is not the flu. There is zero immunity to this and it spreads easily. If you happen to experience a bad case for whatever reasons you are seriously ill. Stop looking at how many die and ask how many are deathly ill and can we deal with that?

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, MC39693 said:

Alberta has a few cases, no deaths yet unless recent. I’m 65 and have asthma, I’m on self- lockdown. I need to go out one more time, then I’m going to stay in for a couple of weeks. Companies are talking about work from home. Hard to do for all the oil and gas operations! This is going to be interesting.

My daughter is a practitioner at a large asthma clinic in suburban KC and they have just completed and will next Monday begin a new flow through chart for patients entering the building and being temperature tested prior to a decision as to which waiting room is deemed appropriate. She has seen no indications of lessened work loads and it’s pretty much business as usual, until Monday. There are currently just a handful of reported cases in the area so it seems their timing may be appropriate for the conditions. 

• Like 1

@tigerwoodKhorns  @Schu @Sancho Panza

Thanks for your input here!

And I can't find the link or quote that I read yesterday when I was listening to that long video but I appreciate that info especially. It was the first time I had heard about what it actually does to us mammals. Talked about the capillaries breaking down and instead of getting oxygen to the blood...... it let proteins into the lungs which precedes other fluid going backwards into the lungs. Not a nice picture.

That IS Why I'm pissed at fake news and all the powerful (top of the banana republic/one world order food chain) right now. If they would be frank about what this could do to us, then let us be responsible for trying to keep ourselves free from it.

Saw it, should have bookmarked it. Looked like it came from a medical entity. I'll start going over this thread again and try to find it again.

My prefilters are p95, the cartridges are p100 but I know I'll be using them wrong. Back when spraying a coal-tar epoxy coating just that once I know you have to change the cartridges often.

Spent $300 total  and only have three sets each of the cartridges for us.

Not freaked even considering what all I just typed, I consider it self preservation since I'm immuno-suppressed and go to the big hosp downtown ten times or more a year!

https://data.citizen-times.com/coronavirus/

You can zoom out to your region with that chart

Edited by JohnJ
chart
  • Like 1

Must have been in one of the two first videos here, could not find that info about the capillaries failing again. Heard mention of the honeycomb appearance of victims lungs because of holes punched in them by the germ. Capillaries are the outermost part of the lungs so maybe that is showing there.

Not everything is good here, but the positive side is that we have researchers in Lyon, and throughout the country, who are working on this virus and are trying to find drugs to treat this disease, they are progressing. They have already succeeded in isolating the virus at the end of January (Institut Pasteur in Paris).

I think that you, too, in the US, have great scientists who are looking for a solution.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not to change the thread topic, but in response to @billybob's question:

When I was young, doctors told my parents to move to a desert town.  Warm, dry is what they said would be best for me.  I feel best in Victoria which is temperate and humid, maybe all psychosomatic.   I've lived in Alberta and mostly northern Alberta for the past 42 years.  Cold is not good for my lungs esp. if I am exerting myself.  But, I still go snow shoeing and hikes in the winter.  Shovelling snow is a pain in more ways than 1.  My allergies, which seem to go hand in hand with asthma, have been pretty much under control since I was 19.  They gave me weekly needles with some concoction serum to help build immunity I guess.  I am on a steroid inhaler which really helps.  I'm not sure it would help in the case of Covid as the "attack" mechanism seems different in the context of fluid in the lungs. 

If I get symptoms my wife says she's putting me in an ambulance straight to the hospital as the health system is likely going to get taxed to the max very shortly here.  We can isolate each other in the house if we really had to.  We're trying to be rational, but it's good to discuss action plans in case and not get caught in a frenzy.  Notes on this forum have been interesting.  I have a son-in-law with diabetes who's currently on vacation in the US.  He works in operations in northern Alberta oil patch, via fly in/fly out.  Not sure what happens when he gets back.  I'm hoping they tell him to work from home.

I think I'm going to start drinking the "good" scotch.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bosco-d-gama said:

“Catastrophe medicine” - this is what Italy has imposed on its overburdened healthcare systems - all of them. It is war time triage. There, with roughly 15,000 cases of covid 19, so many are critical that the docs are now required to choose who gets life saving care..... and their government announced their triage guidelines. So if you get critically ill or compromised in any way, by any disease or trauma your level of care will depend on these guidelines. In essence only the strong will be allowed access to critical care. People will now die from other ailments, from trauma, from any lethal situation because their systems are plugged up with too many covid sufferers.

THIS is why we ALL “MUST” do our utmost to slow the spread of this disease. Our health systems have their own limits which can get filled quickly. You could get covid and survive because of your age and health status........  then dump your motorcycle and require some fast and serious care - nope, not available. Too busy, too full.... too bad - so sad.

This is not the flu. There is zero immunity to this and it spreads easily. If you happen to experience a bad case for whatever reasons you are seriously ill. Stop looking at how many die and ask how many are deathly ill and can we deal with that?

That is a huge issue.

The death rate is irrelevant if those close to you succumb to the virus. While 1-2% doesn't sound bad compared to Ebola (80-90+%) and SARS (20%), but with huge numbers infected the number of people who due will be exponentially greater.

The huge medical push is to attempt to stop the virus from becoming established as a seasonal event. Flu mortality is roughly 0.1%,

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NWCgrad said:

That is a huge issue.

The death rate is irrelevant if those close to you succumb to the virus. While 1-2% doesn't sound bad compared to Ebola (80-90+%) and SARS (20%), but with huge numbers infected the number of people who due will be exponentially greater.

The huge medical push is to attempt to stop the virus from becoming established as a seasonal event. Flu mortality is roughly 0.1%,

Italy's death rate to date is 6.3% total of all age groups.

JJK

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MC39693 said:

When I was young, doctors told my parents to move to a desert town.  Warm, dry is what they said would be best for me.  I feel best in Victoria which is temperate and humid, maybe all psychosomatic.   I've lived in Alberta and mostly northern Alberta for the past 42 years.  Cold is not good for my lungs esp. if I am exerting myself.  But, I still go snow shoeing and hikes in the winter.  Shovelling snow is a pain in more ways than 1.  My allergies, which seem to go hand in hand with asthma, have been pretty much under control since I was 19.  They gave me weekly needles with some concoction serum to help build immunity I guess.  I am on a steroid inhaler which really helps.  I'm not sure it would help in the case of Covid as the "attack" mechanism seems different in the context of fluid in the lungs. 

If I get symptoms my wife says she's putting me in an ambulance straight to the hospital as the health system is likely going to get taxed to the max very shortly here.  We can isolate each other in the house if we really had to.  We're trying to be rational, but it's good to discuss action plans in case and not get caught in a frenzy.  Notes on this forum have been interesting.  I have a son-in-law with diabetes who's currently on vacation in the US.  He works in operations in northern Alberta oil patch, via fly in/fly out.  Not sure what happens when he gets back.  I'm hoping they tell him to work from home.

Thanks much for the nice reply. Have often wondered about the climate there and asthma. Here in the summer us too hot humid for my liking. Like the rational . Like your plan as well. Nice loving wife really great. Prepared helps alot with the stress of course. Have thought of some delicious beverage on hand here. Scotch.  to be sure would work for me. In any case, the best to you and family.

Cheers and music the great healer!

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, mustang_flht said:

Not everything is good here, but the positive side is that we have researchers in Lyon, and throughout the country, who are working on this virus and are trying to find drugs to treat this disease, they are progressing. They have already succeeded in isolating the virus at the end of January (Institut Pasteur in Paris).

I think that you, too, in the US, have great scientists who are looking for a solution.

That sounds good to me. There is a clinical trial being conducted I had read where 400 are being treated with I think an antiveral.

Takes time to get some results.

Take care...

• Thanks 1

So... the place where I work, supports approximately 1200 people with intellectual and developmental disabilities. Many, if not all, already have a weakened immune system. We have our own medical staff, but for the past two days have also had folks in from our local health dept. to explain and help our staff. This certainly won't be going away any time soon, even once we get a handle on it.

• Moderators
11 minutes ago, Marvel said:

So... the place where I work, supports approximately 1200 people with intellectual and developmental disabilities. Many, if not all, already have a weakened immune system. We have our own medical staff, but for the past two days have also had folks in from our local health dept. to explain and help our staff. This certainly won't be going away any time soon, even once we get a handle on it.

Do we have a handle on it Bruce,  based on what officials have told you?

The Canadian Prime Minister’s wife, Sophie Trudeau just got tested for COVID-19

She has been showing symptoms for a while now.

Hopefully it’s just the same reaction to her husband Justin, that most Canadians have been feeling since his election.

• Sad 1

15 minutes ago, dwilawyer said:

Do we have a handle on it Bruce,  based on what officials have told you?

Not really... One of our doctors has said it is really going to be here for quite a long time. I think that what I posted earlier is the short term goal:

Slow down the rate of infections so that we don't overload our health care facilities (hospitals). We don't have enough beds, etc., to handle it if we have the incredibly high rate of infections that China and other countries have had.

We just received paperwork that indicates we will screen everyone entering our main campus building (we also have around 80 residential homes), with instructions to stay home if you meet certain criteria. It's mostly common sense...

I believe there are no active cases close to us, mostly toward Atlanta and surrounding counties and Nashville. We are pretty much right in between the two.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, MC39693 said:

You went through ‘desensitization’ therapy. They identified what you were allergic to and slowly conditioned your body to stop ‘over’ responding to those allergens. When out in the cold ........  use a snood and/or any material placed in front of your mouth/nose. That will capture your exhaled heat/moisture and help heat and humidify the next inhaled breath. The goal there is to minimize cold stressing your airways. Lastly.......  ‘good’ scotch. We all know that the authorities use breathalyzer tests to measure blood alcohol levels. So, yeah - we ‘off gas’ alcohol fumes in proportion to our BAC. Well...... some asthmatics respond to these exhaled fumes. Alcohol is not a normal part of our breathing and those fumes can result in inflammation and/or spasms. It may no be this way for you...... just an FYI.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Marvel said:

Not really... One of our doctors has said it is really going to be here for quite a long time.

Yes, I don't think people will be locked in their high-rise apts here like rumors/news reported happened in China. So we'd be lucky if it ends before next year if it is dwindling there now.