Corona Virus Disease/(SARS-CoV-2) II

CECAA850

29 minutes ago, Randyh said:

- the  people touching - manipulating the equipment are treating patients with Covid -19 , -the Virus is on the outer surfaces of the ventilator -

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK214361/

The Ventilators have special filters and everyone has to gown, mask, wash hands and glove. Patients are in private rooms.

• Moderators
9 minutes ago, Jeff Matthews said:

I don't think exhaled breath goes back to the ventilator.

There are two ports/tubes coming out of a conventional ventilator, an "inspiratory" port with hose" (from vent to patient) and an "expiratory" port with hose (from patient back to vent).

If you use the machine to hook up to 2 or 4 patient you have to use viral filters to avoid cross-contamination, between patients. With infectious disease patients the vent is hooked up to the hospital's suction system and expired air is sucked out (I have no idea what they do with the air). 

Here is how they are planning on doing it in the real world.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

from Business Insider (nobody knew where they were until now?):

• A union representing healthcare works said Thursday that it had located 39 million N95 masks and was connecting their supplier to hospitals and state and local governments.
  • That's more than the number of masks in the US national stockpile, which has about 12 million N95 masks and 30 million surgical masks.
  • The masks are set to be distributed in California and New York at a cost of $5 each.
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Randyh said:

no panicking ,  at all ,  come to NYC -

https://www.democracynow.org/2020/3/26/nyc_hospitals_coronavirus

NYC is horrible but according to the article the masks will will filter out the Wuhan.  quote: DR. CRAIG SPENCER: Yeah. You know, it’s funny, because we talk about these N95 masks. Those are those thicker variants that filter particles like the coronavirus.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
25 minutes ago, Randyh said:

I dont think that any kid of filters made in  2020  can stop Covid 19 -or at least , I would like to see these tests

In-line bacteria/viral filters have been studied for a long time, and are subject to ISO standards and FDA regulations. They continue to be looked at. They are much more efficient than the N95 Masks.that have a lot of person to person variability. 

Here is a quick one, from about 7 years ago.

Can breathing circuit filters help prevent the spread of influenza A (H1N1) virus from intubated patients?

Abstract

Introduction: In March 2010, more than 213 countries worldwide reported laboratory confirmed cases of influenza H1N1 infections with at least 16,813 deaths. In some countries, roughly 10 to 30% of the hospitalized patients were admitted to the ICU and up to 70% of those required mechanical ventilation. The question now arises whether breathing system filters can prevent virus particles from an infected patient from entering the breathing system and passing through the ventilator into the ambient air.

We tested the filters routinely used in our institution for their removal efficacy and efficiency for the influenza virus A H1N1 (A/PR/8/34).

Methods: Laboratory investigation of three filters (PALL Ultipor® 25, Ultipor® 100 and Pall BB50T Breathing Circuit Filter, manufactured by Pall Life Sciences) using a monodispersed aerosol of human influenza A (H1N1) virus in an air stream model with virus particles quantified as cytopathic effects in cultured canine kidney cells (MDCK).

Results: The initial viral load of 7.74±0.27 log10 was reduced to a viral load of ≤2.43 log10, behind the filter. This represents a viral filtration efficiency of ≥99.9995%.

Conclusion: The three tested filters retained the virus input, indicating that their use in the breathing systems of intubated and mechanically ventilated patients can reduce the risk of spreading the virus to the breathing system and the ambient air.

Conclusion

With a filtration efficiency of more than 99.999%, the use of the PALL breathing system filters Ultipor® 25, Ultipor® 100, and BB50T renders the contamination of the respirator breathing system and the ambient air highly unlikely when properly employed under normal clinical conditions. One can conclude that they are suitable for use in ventilated patients with viral respiratory infections, including H1N1.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Randyh said:

all these results go out the window the moment you share ,  double , triple , quadruple the ventilators between patients --------

Yes they do, unless you put the in-line B/V filters between patients as suggested by the Columbia protocol (and the others I have seen.

Putting two or four per vent is not ideal, by a long shot. However, is is better than the alternative with too many critical patients for too few ventilators.

The Columbia protocol is very clear about this. This is simply a band-aid to buy some more time, and it may still be too little too late.

In Texas we are seeing large animal veterinarians donate ventilator to hospitals for use in a critical shortage.   Will they work, yes, do I want one of my family members on one? No not really, but if that's all they have I will surely take it.

You only have to see this video one time to have a small understanding of what is going on, every doctor I have spoken to (Houston, Austin, Dallas, Denver, New Haven, San Francisco, Los Angeles, New Orleans, Lafayette, LA, , Boston) are all saying the same thing, but not nearly to the degree of what they have in New York. That's about the only thing positive they can say, "at least we are not as bad as New York."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1