Corona Virus Disease/(SARS-CoV-2) II

CECAA850

According to the BBC the WHO has designated Europe as the new epicenter of the covid pandemic. So ‘perhaps’ we’re doing better here than we understand. We’ll just have to wait it out. We’re having a mini-blizzard here in the Pacific Northwest so staying home is simple enough.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Pete H said:

In the end, the world needs to hold China accountable first and foremost.  It's long overdue to stop being dependent on a communist country and "cheap" being the driving force.  Decades of letting manufacturing and technology leave the country, unbalanced trade, ridiculous spending and the general population wanting to argue over politics like pigs being led to the slaughter.  Time to put personal views of individuals aside and figure out a way to hold these idiots accountable.  They just passed a bill that one of the "no votes" claimed they didn't even have an opportunity to read and that's supposed to be their job.  I have yet to be able to find the actual "Corona relief bill" that was passed so i can read it for myself, so if any of you have, please post the link.

The idiots may be us.

I remember when John Fluke built a "college" on their Everett, WA campus to teach the Chinese how to build stuff.

I thought then that a move like that is/was the stupidest and most short sighted vision I had ever heard of.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DizRotus said:

I was at the dentist recently.  Her assistant put on rubber gloves and then promptly reached his gloved hand into his pocket to pull out his phone.  I would have said something if my mouth weren’t full of her gloved fingers.  He did not touch me with his phone contaminated rubber glove.  I would have prevented it had he tried.

I know machinists now who use those all the time. Not for germs but because tools don't slip as easily and it keeps coolant off their hands. My mail carrier got in the habit of using them during one of the recent panics and kept doing so because it was easier to sort and handle mail with them.

3 minutes ago, Bosco-d-gama said:

According to the BBC the WHO has designated Europe as the new epicenter of the covid pandemic.

Since Italy now has over 1000 deaths, we shouldn't be surprised

14 minutes ago, Dave A said:

I know machinists now who use those all the time. Not for germs but because tools don't slip as easily and it keeps coolant off their hands. My mail carrier got in the habit of using them during one of the recent panics and kept doing so because it was easier to sort and handle mail with them.

All my technicians us them.  They keep grease, oil and coolant off their hands and from getting under their fingernails.  In years past you could tell a mechanic by their hands.  Now not so much.

Reading this morning about the Swine Flu and all those resultant deaths.  Somehow the media back then did not go into hyper sensationalism mode but today they do. Half the leadership and most of the media appear to disdain the idea of America and are the reason all this nonsense is going on. TDS first and only and the heck with the USA.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 1

We read about the buildup and how it's spreading.....  I've got a question.

If you DO get exposed...  for those who simply 'have the flu symptoms'.....  will they acquire a bit of immunity to it such that they could go somewhere with decent confidence that they won't catch it again?

Or after having it, healing....are you just as open to getting it again?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Coytee said:

We read about the buildup and how it's spreading.....  I've got a question.

If you DO get exposed...  for those who simply 'have the flu symptoms'.....  will they acquire a bit of immunity to it such that they could go somewhere with decent confidence that they won't catch it again?

Or after having it, healing....are you just as open to getting it again?

Great question Richard, I think the best thing to do is to go buy more toilet paper and hand sanitizer and any other consumable that you may use, buy 10x's the amount you normally keep on hand and then coat yourself in sanitizer followed by wrapping yourself in toilet paper and then loading all weapons so you can protect your supply.  LOL

I did really think it was a great question.

• Like 1

I went to the grocery the other day to pick up a couple things...  one happened to be TP as we're running low (and live 15 miles out of town so you never want to run out)

Though the TP isle was decimated, there were plenty of packages there.  When I got the various things, I then went to the frozen isle as my last stop.  My wife wanted me to get a couple boxes of fudge bars....  there was a single box left.

They had WAY more TP than they had fudgies in the frozen isle.

Imagine that.

I'm starting to scratch my head....  at work, I cover schools, higher education, county governments and others....

I just had a higher ed location cancel two upcoming dates on me.  They are taking spring break and sending everyone home with nobody on campus.

I now have two free days....  I know I'll have other locations cancel.

Has me wondering, over the next couple months, how many days am I going to be twiddling my fingers here at home because of cancellations.

There is a bit of a silver lining in that....  but I like to get up in the morning and get going so this will be fine for 2-3 days then I'll get antsy.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Dave A said:

Reading this morning about the Swine Flu and all those resultant deaths.  Somehow the media back then did not go into hyper sensationalism mode but today they do. Half the leadership and most of the media appear to disdain the idea of America and are the reason all this nonsense is going on. TDS first and only and the heck with the USA.

Yes, they did.  I remember the swine flu.  And it's not half the leadership, it is all of the leadership.  And blaming the media is what the leadership has been encouraging people to do regardless that most of it is basic reporting and many asking the same questions that we are right here.  Not only that, you wouldn't like what the real meaning and origin of those initials are, but you could look it up.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Sancho Panza said:

Weather Channel has gotten in on the scare.

apology for repeating myself...

Probably worth repeating. Maybe they can be helpful in some way, and not go on a tangent outside of their field of supposed expertise.

11 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

Yes, they did.  I remember the swine flu.  And it's not half the leadership, it is all of the leadership.  And blaming the media is what the leadership has been encouraging people to do regardless that most of it is basic reporting and many asking the same questions that we are right here.  Not only that, you wouldn't like what the real meaning and origin of those initials are, but you could look it up.

I had to look it up... thanks

The majority of swine flu deaths were in Africa and Southeast Asia, so there is one reason.  It spread differently, and we didn't see lockdowns in familiar places like Italy.  This one seems sneakier, and fear of the unknown is a big driver of panic.  

As for another's poster who stated along the lines of "letting them (mainly large corporations) take their businesses to China," what would the USA be if it actually stopped them?  Land of the free, or just another dictatorship meddling in private commerce?  The idea of America is not half of anything, it is justice and liberty for all.  (right?)  

I for one am not a big fan of companies setting up shop in other countries to exploit cheap labor, because that is exactly what it is about.  We have seen and suffered from the poorer quality of most goods, which if you have to constantly replace them due to failure, are they really cheaper in the long run?  But I digress...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dave A said:

These days it seems to depend on which party the president is.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, DizRotus said:

I was at the dentist recently.  Her assistant put on rubber gloves and then promptly reached his gloved hand into his pocket to pull out his phone.  I would have said something if my mouth weren’t full of her gloved fingers.  He did not touch me with his phone contaminated rubber glove.  I would have prevented it had he tried.

I think it has always been about their protection.

• Like 1