Corona Virus Disease/(SARS-CoV-2) II

CECAA850

6 minutes ago, Jeff Matthews said:

Nobody does.  Fox News is pushing suspicions it came from an infected worker in the Wuhan lab.  Brett Baier wrote an article citing "unnamed sources" and also quoting Trump, Milley and another top-ranking official.  All 3 of them said, "We don't know and need to investigate it."  I take what they say at face value and let others run with "sources." 

With the advantage of hindsight, we, obviously, could have done things differently. Investigating 'it' and investigating our reaction will be useful information. It will be nice to know if this is a virus that was cooked in a lab or one that is natural and was being studied, and slipped out. 

3 minutes ago, Dave A said:

I agree and never knew two years ago that 61,000 people died of the flu in the USA because so few were effected. 61,000 out of 330,000,000 is one out of every 54,000 people. When you look at numbers and simple math it changes things.

I agree with what you're saying. The flip side is the infection rate and death rate is much greater than the flu..... If we can trust the numbers that are reported. That's where I have a real problem: the method of reporting. Too many times Drs. have said the reporting is bogus. 

54 minutes ago, Dave A said:

Is the math off? 

Undoubtedly. We won't know the real numbers until after this is over.

I guess my main concern over all this is how credulous people are and not standing back and asking why this, why now and what is so epochally different that the whole world must be thrown into chaos?

Another set of questions that we won't know the answers to until after this is over. Meanwhile, I still remember my parents talking about the frightening quarantines for polio, smallpox, measles, mumps, etc. We've all but eliminated those, but Mother Nature doesn't stop trying to find new ways to kill us all. We were perhaps overdue for this.

There is so much going on here and very little of it has to do with pandemic other than using it as an excuse to further agendas.

I agree wholeheartedly, but that's a separate issue. The fact that self-serving people are using the pandemic to try to further their own agenda in no way negates the seriousness of the pandemic itself.

56 minutes ago, dtel's wife said:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Turned on to this video this past week and watched this on Sunday.  Gives you an INTERESTING perspective.  Whatever your political persuasion, you will read it as either propaganda or just plain "Wow".  If you are a vacuum for the internet and can do as they say (read everything from everywhere, apply critical thinking with an attempt to crush bias), this gives you some new leads if you didn't know them already to continue your investigation.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Edgar said:

But every sentence in your post is so profoundly and provably wrong that the only thing I can recommend is that you take a step or two back, take a deep breath, then take a really good, objective look at the situation. Things are not as you described.

4 minutes ago, Edgar said:

Undoubtedly. We won't know the real numbers until after this is over.

Another set of questions that we won't know the answers to until after this is over.

It's one way or the other. 

I agree with you in that we won't know until we can look back on it. So far what Dave said is holding true. 

2 minutes ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

It's one way or the other. 

I agree with you in that we won't know until we can look back on it. So far what Dave said is holding true. 

Or it's a matter of degree. If you ask me how many eggs I have in my refrigerator, and I answer that I think it's seven, the fact that it's really eight doesn't mean that my response can be dismissed as a lie.

3 minutes ago, Edgar said:

Or it's a matter of degree. If you ask me how many eggs I have in my refrigerator, and I answer that I think it's seven, the fact that it's really eight doesn't mean that my response can be dismissed as a lie.

Eggsactly.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Edgar said:

Exactly. Your claim is that he is "profoundly and provably wrong" when the refrigerator door is still closed, is the problem. 

Here is a shovel for you. Keep digging if you want. 😁

Sweden did not quarantine and so far from what I read their death rate is the same as ours.

12 minutes ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

I agree with what you're saying. The flip side is the infection rate and death rate is much greater than the flu..... If we can trust the numbers that are reported. That's where I have a real problem: the method of reporting. Too many times Drs. have said the reporting is bogus. 

Precisely. When there are so many "authorities" and few seem to agree and the media does not make an effort to seek truth what exactly should you believe? There is an old saying that you follow the money. What it really means is to be vigilant and regard sources with suspicion and not credulity just because the 6:00 news said so. I still run into people that say if it is on TV it has to be true. In the mean time you can dissect reports with a few equations and come up with things do not add up. When this is done things will still not add up right is my prediction.

2 minutes ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

Exactly. Your claim is that he is "profoundly and provably wrong" when the refrigerator door is still closed, is the problem. 

Here is a shovel for you. Keep digging if you want. 😁

To expand the analogy, there are eight eggs. I said there are seven. He said there are none. Both are provably wrong. Which is more profound?

Just now, Edgar said:

To expand the analogy, there are eight eggs. I said there are seven. He said there are none. Both are provably wrong. Which is more profound?

You don't know how many eggs are there. You can't claim to be right when you don't know. To claim that every sentence in his statement is provably wrong is not a fact.  

54 minutes ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

Although there have been more eloquent speakers than Cheeto man, I really like how he has done. Sure, some mistakes will be made, but no leader all around the world has done any better. The guy can't win when all we get are soundbites from the mainstream media doing what they can to make it sound like something he didn't say.  Try to stop travel, called a racist, then claims of him not doing enough. 

Reasonably well said 😉

I like that and the xenophobia stuff..  How about taking care of your country first, then the world.  Kind of like "put on your mask first, then help others" when the masks pop out in the plane.  Duh.

• Like 1

On 4/19/2020 at 10:01 AM, ILI said:

According to President Trump, my country - Belgium - is doing worse than Spain and Italy.

During our lockdown I've been watching a lot of old Motocross des Nations videos on Youtube.  Belgium has had some amazing riders! 

That includes my two favorites from when I was racing MX in the early 70's, 5-time 500 class world champion Roger DeCoster and six-time 250 champion Joel Robert. 

I named my youngest son Joel.  😎

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

You don't know how many eggs are there. You can't claim to be right when you don't know. To claim that every sentence in his statement is provably wrong is not a fact.  

Oh, come on. I don't know how many "eggs" there are, but I know that it's a large enough number to be concerning. Getting back to the real numbers, trivializing the mortality rate because it's (so far) comparable to the Flu is inappropriate. We have treatments for the Flu, and even the worst of them (in modern times) hasn't completely overwhelmed the medical system. As someone who nearly died of the Flu eighteen months ago, knowing that COVID-19 appears to be even worse gives me pause.

As for the other issues, like I said: take an objective look.

5 minutes ago, Edgar said:

That is straw man logic and I never said there was nothing. What I said was there is nothing there to create this level of reaction.

38 minutes ago, Dave A said:

I agree and never knew two years ago that 61,000 people died of the flu in the USA because so few were effected. 61,000 out of 330,000,000 is one out of every 54,000 people. When you look at numbers and simple math it changes things.

What is your response to this? If it ends up being say 100,000 that is still only a one in 33,000 chance of death from this and there will be a ton of things take you out before the Wuhan flu will. The bad life choices most all of us make are far more deadly than Wuhan ever dreamed of being.