Corona Virus Disease/(SARS-CoV-2) II

CECAA850

Wonder how well leaving will turn out:

Jams stretched to a cumulative 430 miles (700 km) in the Ile-de-France region early on Thursday evening, local media reported.

Lockdown measures came into force at midnight on Friday (23:00 GMT) to tackle spiralling Covid infections.

People have been ordered to stay at home except for essential work or medical reasons.

President Emmanuel Macron said the country risked being "overwhelmed by a second wave that no doubt will be harder than the first".

Daily Covid-19 deaths in France are at the highest level since April, and on Thursday, authorities reported 47,637 new cases and 250 new deaths. French media report that many Parisians have left the city - and their often cramped apartments - to spend lockdown in the countryside.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-54742795?fbclid=IwAR1iHU3dMNVktqT3C66SFaMQmUwkVUEOyjh1m15OEWpyqRxqjonG5abaIUU

With the US having close to 5x the population of France (328 million vs 67 million), and the US reporting only~25k more cases, it seems that we are doing something right.  Then if one looks at the total tests vs population, it reveals information that keeps the mystery of what the numbers of infected really are.
China Population ~ 1.4 B, 160 M Tested

India Population  ~  1.3 B, 109 M Tested

USA Population  ~ 330 M, 145 M Tested. 

• Like 1

James I'm not sure what you are talking about.

At least 427 new coronavirus deaths and 74,236 new cases were reported in the United States on Nov. 1. Over the past week, there have been an average of 82,829 cases per day, an increase of 45 percent from the average two weeks earlier.

19 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

Over the past week, there have been an average of 82,829 cases per day, an increase of 45 percent from the average two weeks earlier.

That's not good.  It prompted me to see what's going on in Harris County.  Our stats make it look like the worst is still behind us.

image.thumb.png.278decde42bfbb350861703880b793c5.png

Try to picture what this map would look like if they did not whitewash large geographic areas.  It would look like a joke.  "Whatever you do, by God, stay away from Dawson County, Texas yuk! yuk!"  It would make you think people were running away from the deserts to find safe harbour in the big cities.

image.thumb.png.519c2686f7bf69ad6d2ec675c283d28a.png

I think you have that in reverse.  Sparsely populated areas are not shaded.  Shaded areas are where the cases are, not to where people would flee.  What do you think the map would look like if sparsely populated areas had some shading?  Where is the joke?

• Like 2

Just now, oldtimer said:

I think you have that in reverse.  Sparsely populated areas are not shaded.  Shaded areas are where the cases are, not to where people would flee.  

No, I see it.

They shade the populous areas no matter what.  They use data at the county level.  So, if you live in a populous county, "Congratulations, you have color!"  If not, we will simply cover you up, even though your data is worse according to the methods of measurement upon which we rely.   

So, they pick a method which doesn't really make sense.  "Let's use averages across an entire county."  Then, they cover up the flaws, and "Whoalla!"  Now, it appears to make sense!  Without all that whitewashing, the deserts would all be bloody red!

It looks like they took all 11 cases in Dawson County and placed them all at the gas station near Mule Creek. 

But over here in Houston, we don't care about that kind of error.  Why?  Because we're smart enough to know Dawson County is in the sticks, where it's safe... or is it? 

What we city-dwellers tend to believe is that our odds of encountering people with Covid are higher in the cities.  Maybe it's more like, "safety in numbers."  

Using averages, something tells me you wouldn't want to be the average resident in Dawson County.

Basically, populous counties are punished by the NYT's method simply for being populous.  I think this embeds error into a proper understanding of the facts.

What you are correct about is statistics distorting raw data.  That is simply the definition of statistics.  Raw data is manipulated according to a set of parameters.  Ever take a course on it?  It's interesting, complicated, and without computers would still be so arcane no one would ever hear about most of them.

3 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

What you are correct about is statistics distorting raw data.  That is simply the definition of statistics.  Raw data is manipulated according to a set of parameters.  Ever take a course on it?  It's interesting, complicated, and without computers would still be so arcane no one would ever hear about most of them.

Mmmmm .... not in my opinion. Statistics offer the analysis of information and if you grasp the science undertaken you can learn a ton using statistics. They also allow for a common foundation whereby science done anywhere has this common mathematical language to use for determining the useful value of a study, any study. They can point to solution sets that drive additional studies. They have helped give humanity many of its modern comforts and toys. So do not malign statistics. Malign those who misuse them.

1 hour ago, oldtimer said:

James I'm not sure what you are talking about.

At least 427 new coronavirus deaths and 74,236 new cases were reported in the United States on Nov. 1. Over the past week, there have been an average of 82,829 cases per day, an increase of 45 percent from the average two weeks earlier.

My point is that it is doing the same thing all over the world. Lots of people what to talk like it is only happening here in the US. We have 5x the population of France, but we don't have 5x the new cases. 

Another point is if we look at real numbers of people being tested, we are second to China, and China is claiming to have the same number of total cases that we have every day. (No, I don't believe China's numbers) Taking on the number of people being tested vs what the other countries are testing, it's no wonder we are showing such high numbers. 

Having said that ^ I do believe that we should, as individuals, be doing a lot more. Also, since we, in the northern hemisphere, had a drop in numbers in the summer (June, July), I wonder what the southern hemisphere's numbers will be for their summer.