Corona Virus Disease/(SARS-CoV-2) II

CECAA850

8 hours ago, richieb said:

So The COVID has hit home. A friend and 25 year co-worker passed away last night from COVID. I had heard over 75% of the office of around 25 people had tested positive, all with mild, flu like symptoms. RG apparently had it quite bad, hospitalized, then on a ventilator, then kidney issues. A blood clot to his heart seemed the cause of death — Rest In Peace my Friend

I hope you can remember the good times , with your buddy RG   ,pray for the rest of the Staff ,  let there be no other to be sent to the hospital

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Marvel said:

It's amazing to me that people will refuse to get a vaccination. I remember everybody standing in line to get the polio vaccine, and when that was such a scare at teh beginning, in 1952 we had fewer than 60,000 cases. I'm sure there were folks who refused then, too.

you're  in a situation where you should get the vaccine at a priority , have they called you yet to shedule a vaccination -

34 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

Been in Texas most of my life.  Nothing compares to the state holidays in Hawaii.  Tell ya what, I'll send you a calendar.  

Living in Hawaii must be awesome , they've only had 279  deaths thus far ,  from Covid ----NY 36500

2 minutes ago, RandyH000 said:

Living in Hawaii must be awesome , they've only had 279  deaths thus far ,  from Covid ----NY 36500

At the price of shutting down the major driver of the economy.  But yeah, in terms of health, it's pretty safe.   It also has probably the best public health programs in the country, which is anathema to elitists who think that it is appropriate that health care be a purely market driven business.  Remember when Glenny Beck had to go to the hospital there?  He praised to the nines the care he received, not realizing why he got it so good.  Just another example of hypocrisy that is so prevalent today.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, RandyH000 said:

have they called you yet to schedule a vaccination

They are working on scheduling.  I will be down on our list as I am in the technology side of things and not normally in close contact with our clients. However, my wife is, so it will probably move me up the line.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Marvel said:

They are working on scheduling.  I will be down on our list as I am in the technology side of things and not normally in close contact with our clients. However, my wife is, so it will probably move me up the line.

Great , if you can get it quickly  ---we may get it in January     -

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, dwilawyer said:

Don't forget Amazon, Ebay, 3M, IBM, SpaceX . . .

The long standing joke was an earthquake having Cali breaking off into the Pacific. Now, the same but different, a little bit at a time with stops in TX, AZ, NV, UT, ID. Anywhere but the Left Coast — 

• Moderators
10 hours ago, Marvel said:

It's amazing to me that people will refuse to get a vaccination. I remember everybody standing in line to get the polio vaccine, and when that was such a scare at teh beginning, in 1952 we had fewer than 60,000 cases. I'm sure there were folks who refused then, too.

But a 1/3 were paralyzed, 5% died, and it didn't spare the young.

Salk didn't seek a patent, he gave it to humanity, and when asked why he didn't patent it he responded "could you patent the sun?" He and his family were the first "clinical trial." After that a double blind randomized trial of nearly two million children was undertaken. It was safe, effective and worked. It you took the vaccine you were protected, if you didn't you were not.original.jpg

This was a different time.

The Cutter incident was a major bump in the road for the vaccine, fortunately they were able to get past that. 

So we will see.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, richieb said:

The long standing joke was an earthquake having Cali breaking off into the Pacific

I heard that joke a lot over the years. Good thing I didn't grow in this mythical place called Cali.  I honestly don't know a single California native that calls the place Cali. In fact, there was a humorous Twitter thread last year about that. 

Sorry to hear of the death of your friend Richie. This has been a cruel year for so many. I've had five family members get it, thank God all have recovered. 

13 hours ago, Marvel said:

I’m sure there were folks who refused then, too.

My parents for instance.  My siblings and I were vaccinated for smallpox, because it was required to attend school.  We were not vaccinated against polio.  I mentioned that to my internist several years ago, so he gave me dose 1 of the oral polio vaccine.  By the next time I saw him he’d changed his mind, after discussing my situation with colleagues.  They decided the risks outweigh the rewards, so they recommended against further doses, unless I planned to travel to an area still experiencing polio.

When a lab runs a PCR test for coronavirus the number of cycles can greatly influence the result and yield many false positives if cycled too many times.  Florida is now requiring labs to report their test cycles.  It will be interesting to see if this yields far lower numbers of true positive cases than before.  Even NJ has raised some questions about validity.  Given that shutdowns are being based on positives as opposed to actual sick people this may get very interesting:

https://www.flhealthsource.gov/files/Laboratory-Reporting-CT-Values-12032020.pdf

https://www.nj.gov/health/cd/documents/topics/NCOV/APHL-COVID19-Ct-Values.pdf

Maynard

26 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

Really interesting for those with family who have died from it.  Truly, bigly.

If you understood how PCR tests work you would understand why Florida and NJ have raised questions and why a test with better specificity would be very helpful.  Enough said.......

Maynard 

14 minutes ago, tube fanatic said:

If you understood how PCR tests work you would understand why Florida and NJ have raised questions and why a test with better specificity would be very helpful.  Enough said.......

Maynard 

As old timer notes - there are plenty enough actual sick people and dead people to validate the seriousness of covid19. Right now every ICU bed in Southern California is occupied and here locally 66% of our ICU capacity has covid19 occupants. Covid19 is currently (and once again) overwhelming our systems. So nit picking PCR results is of no practical consequence when reality proves the point beyond any doubt. Sure, I can agree to fine tuning the tests to improve accuracy. But at this juncture, ‘so what’?