Corona Virus Disease/(SARS-CoV-2) II

CECAA850

1 minute ago, Marvel said:

All very true Mike. What I was using were reported numbers from the WHO, but deaths and overall totals are going up every day.  There may be way more infected  but with no symptoms, which would lower the mortality rate percentage.

But if we're comparing to mortality rates associated with other viruses, I would almost bet asymptomatic people with other infections were not counted.

Just now, 7heavenlyplaces said:

Kinda keyed up on this are ya?

Actually yes, I am.
In my position I send several groups of folks weekly that interact with folks outside of the US
I answer to mother corporate, collective bargaining agreement and personal integrity and not in that order.
I tend to go over the line in a restrictive, safe process but not extreme on any risk, medical or otherwise. Operational Risk Management
This subject is a matter of local, national and international teleconferences daily. 

1 minute ago, Marvel said:

All very true Mike. What I was using were reported numbers from the WHO, but deaths and overall totals are going up every day.  There may be way more infected  but with no symptoms, which would lower the mortality rate percentage.

Yes they are just like the flu. See the problem with sensationalism is perspective is thrown out the window and people forget the 600,000+ killed from flu every year. Every year. Where is the freakout over all that and somehow when 60,000+ died in the USA from flu 2017-18 it did not stop trade, events or lives. I fully intend to live a normal life and have no concerns until I see something to worry about.I am puzzled why people allow the media to take such control of their lives and cause them to forget perspective and history.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Jeff Matthews said:

I don't know about that.  It's not very easy to hide the fact that major world supply lines are shut down and that oil suppliers are backed up with their own production.  I'm not sure we're quite ready to be welding people's doors shut like we saw in your video.  There really are some serious human rights issues which come into play when you start trying your best to contain an outbreak.  It looks like China did what it had to do, and it wasn't very pretty.  Let's hope it doesn't get that bad here.

Very serious human rights issues.  I agree.

I do hope that it will not get that bad here, but how can it not get that bad? 

It is silently spreading right now and if it were to be contained, we would need to go to lock down right now.  After the fact will take ten or one hundred times the effort. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

I do hope that it will not get that bad here, but how can it not get that bad? 

that is concerning. I read today about a group of people that were exposed and asked to self-quarantine. One of the guys said no and went golfing. 

I don't trust my fellow man much to begin with and especially not during a crisis. 

• Like 1

There is no level of herd immunity for this new virus. Absolutely every person is susceptible. That means it can spread as fast as allowed in a very target-rich host community. By aggressively keeping the spread to a minimum we should keep it on a creep and not blooming through cities uncontrolled. We may get some break as the temps warm. But what is needed is the vaccination that will bring the immunity without the infection. And we need time for that. So that’s the fight. We are biding time. And thank your lucky stars that it is not some insanely lethal contagion. It could just as easily be a whole lot worse.

And WHY are people hoarding toilet paper? 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

Seeing what is happening in China will be very helpful in answering your question. 

China is a cesspool of germs.  Safety and hygiene are second thoughts.  It's the perfect storm for something like this to occur.   No i don't think the US will be affected in the same manner.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, BigStewMan said:

that is concerning. I read today about a group of people that were exposed and asked to self-quarantine. One of the guys said no and went golfing. 

I don't trust my fellow man much to begin with and especially not during a crisis. 

Whether real or fake, there are videos of “infected” people spitting on elevator buttons.

If it’s real I would consider that assault with a deadly weapon and would be hard pressed not to respond accordingly if faced with that scenario.

Anti-social behaviour skips a valence in stressful times.

AND it’s a full moon!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CECAA850 said:

China is a cesspool of germs.  Safety and hygiene are second thoughts.  It's the perfect storm for something like this to occur.   No i don't think the US will be affected in the same manner.

Precisely!

Common courtesy and respect for another’s personal space are rarer than the rancid meat they eat over there...

2 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

Carl ... join the hysteria man.  No room for optimism in these doom & gloom days. 

• Like 3

I liked the British blokes video.  

Today I got a lecture from the girlfriend of an MD.  He had impressed her on the importance of washing one's hands extensively.  There was no explanation of how this would help anything.

Anyway.  Per the Chinese study, when I ride the bus to work I can be infected by a passenger's sneeze from12 feet away.  What good is hand washing?

What import should I put to adomintions by such handwashing mavins?

WMcD

WMcD

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Bosco-d-gama said:

And WHY are people hoarding toilet paper? 

Flippers?

My son, freshman at Texas A&M, on spring break just got this word:
There is a new update regarding campus response to COVID-19. Texas A&M suspends class Monday, March 16 and Tuesday, March 17 and will resume March 18. The University remains closed for Spring Break March 11-13.

Please be advised that classes will not resume until Wednesday, March 18 to allow for planning and logistics to ensure the provision of all university services in the most efficient, effective and safest way. Dining, transportation, health, counseling and other services will be available on a normal schedule Monday, March 16 and Tuesday, March 17.

Received an additional message from his BIMS professor to get your *** to class.

On 3/10/2020 at 9:57 PM, 7heavenlyplaces said:

WMMcD:

"What import should I put to adomintions by such handwashing mavins?"

This is just another adamant exhortation to the effect of helping to reduce the spread among many other methods---which apparently should be taken to extensive levels----like wearing masks, to suppress the spread. One of a number of preventative efforts.

Masks are supposed to be worn by the infected.   They serve no purpose to anyone else. 

EDIT I'm referring to the paper masks that are open on the sides.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

China is a cesspool of germs.  Safety and hygiene are second thoughts

I can honestly attest to this statement. I stood in cesspools of human and animal waste almost hip deep in an effort to remove this aircraft. Osborn, I choose to not refer to him as an officer in the U.S. Navy should have been held accountable not commended.

https://stationhypo.com/2017/04/01/lt-shane-osborn-looking-at-a-miracle/

36 minutes ago, Schu said:

Good video.  The 'expert' seems like an unhinged crazy conspiracy theory hack.  Not creditworthy at all. 😆

I like Joe Rogan podcasts.  He has some great guests and the long format is really good for a deep dive into matters. 

This expert is calm and is describing a very prolonged and difficult path to recovery.  We are in this for the long haul. 

9 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

Carl, the genie is out of the bottle.  It no longer takes a dirty cesspool to circulate this. 

For example, if someone coughs on a table and you sit there several hours later, or even the next day, you can get this.  I worked in restaurants for years.  The towels that bus boys use to clean tables are gross.  The kitchen is even worse.  These are not highly skilled people trained to contain the spread of germs, these are teenagers and 20 somethings that are only thinking about the getting stoned and laid. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

For example, if someone coughs on a table and you sit there several hours later, or even the next day, you can get this

This statement is what the world's media is shouting and is totally false. It depends on the the surface that the expectorant lands.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/faq.html

• Thanks 1