Corona Virus Disease/(SARS-CoV-2) II

CECAA850

19 minutes ago, RandyH000 said:

Vitamin ---The truth - what do the studies say -

Many studies have shown an association between vitamin D and Covid outcomes, but the evidence is largely observational...

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-56180921

This is an excellent example of how Social Media surreptitiously spreads misinformation and people are being fed their own bias without realizing it. From the link: 

This means they can share topics that will intersect with people in those communities' interests and spread a message that, for example, "you don't need a vaccine, you can just take vitamin D," without it being overtly flagged to someone that the message is anti-vax when it appears on their feed, he explains.

Vitamin D is relatively safe (although few medical interventions are entirely risk-free, especially at high doses) so it may not appear to be the most harmful of misinformation.

The danger, Prof Van der Linden explains, is when people suggest the supplement is a miracle cure and should be substituted for vaccines, masks and social distancing.

29 minutes ago, RandyH000 said:

What scientists do and don’t know about the Oxford–AstraZeneca COVID vaccine

Results confirming the vaccine’s strong protection against COVID-19 were welcomed following last week’s pause in roll-outs — but fresh questions have now emerged about the data.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-00785-7

Data is still being collected and will continue to be collected as time goes by.  Theres still a lot they don't know about what these do long term. 

Nearly 40% of Marines have declined Covid-19 vaccine

Nearly 40% of US Marines are declining Covid-19 vaccinations, according to data provided to CNN on Friday by the service, the first branch to disclose service-wide numbers on acceptance and declination.

As of Thursday, approximately 75,500 Marines have received vaccines, including fully vaccinated and partially vaccinated service men and women. About 48,000 Marines have chosen not to receive vaccines, for a declination rate of 38.9%.
  • Like 1

Chinese COVID-19 vaccine effectiveness 'not high,' government exploring options: officials

China's coronavirus vaccines may not provide the appropriate protection, with the government exploring options to try and boost efficacy as additional vaccines enter clinical trials.

In a rare admission from a normally tight-lipped government, Chinese health officials admitted that the vaccines "don't have very high protective rates."

"It's now under formal consideration whether we should use different vaccines from different technical lines for the immunization process," China Centers for Disease Control director Gao Fu said at a conference Saturday.

https://www.foxnews.com/health/chinese-vaccine-effectiveness-not-high

26 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

Data is still being collected and will continue to be collected as time goes by.  Theres still a lot they don't know about what these do long term. 

Sure. The alternative is that we do know alot more about the virus and the detrimental effects it has. 567,000+ deaths in the USA and considerably more hospitalizations and long term consequences for many. Otoh, the vaccines have been shown to be safe in the tests conducted which do take long-term risk factors into consideration.

16 minutes ago, RandyH000 said:

I definitely dont want the 2nd shot  ,

Then you are evidently 80% protected from getting Covid-19 if exposed. 

1 is enough for me for the next 5 years ---

How do you figure for 5 years? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It seems we are back to the Safety vs Advocacy situation in regards to the vaccine and I wonder who the most prominent expert/citizen who isn't getting the vaccine is?   Former POTUSAs, leading scientists, business and societal leaders, etc seem to be in agreement that it's the thing to do. {EDIT: I keep bringing this up because although some are reluctant here, there doesn't seem to be ANYONE in the public sphere that has credibility saying the vaccine is worse than getting Covid-19}

37 minutes ago, Zen Traveler said:

This is an excellent example of how Social Media surreptitiously spreads misinformation and people are being fed their own bias without realizing it. From the link: 

This means they can share topics that will intersect with people in those communities' interests and spread a message that, for example, "you don't need a vaccine, you can just take vitamin D," without it being overtly flagged to someone that the message is anti-vax when it appears on their feed, he explains.

Vitamin D is relatively safe (although few medical interventions are entirely risk-free, especially at high doses) so it may not appear to be the most harmful of misinformation.

The danger, Prof Van der Linden explains, is when people suggest the supplement is a miracle cure and should be substituted for vaccines, masks and social distancing.

Why is it that when a view which is not mainstream is presented it automatically becomes misinformation?  It has long been known that vitamins C and D help the body fight respiratory infections (even Fauci admits to supplementing with them).  It is also known that many are deficient in them due to exceedingly poor diets.  The message should have been to do everything which may help a person from getting sick.  These supplements are cheap enough for blanket recommendations.  The same for non-standard treatments for hospitalized patients.  When front line docs reported great success treating patients with 6-8 grams of IV vitamin C each day, why were they called out as spreading misinformation?  I know why, but can’t state the reasons here.  

As for labeling those who promote common sense approaches to avoiding getting sick as anti-vaxxers I think it is ridiculous.  I know many who will not put an experimental gene therapy in their body, and they could care less if someone else does.  There are always different approaches to disease prevention and management and no one should be forced to use an approach with which they disagree as a condition of living their life (an example is denying an in person college education without having proof of taking the COVID product).

Sorry to branch out a bit from the subject, but some things should be repeated periodically.  

Maynard

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

Its great to he a lemming isn't it?  If the potus jumped off a bridge would you?  Lol.

I am far from a lemming and am waiting for you or someone else to post something contrary to what the experts are saying. I contend the lemmings are those who always put up roadblocks to everything we are doing to keep society open because they don't think it's a threat because of what they've read on the internet.

We've come along way since: 

On 3/10/2020 at 3:56 PM, CECAA850 said:

I haven't read anything yet that makes me think this is worse or more deadly than the common flu.  The average age of fatalities in the US for the Wuhan virus is 80 years old. 

4 minutes ago, Zen Traveler said:

I am far from a lemming and am waiting for you or someone else to post something contrary to what the experts are saying. 

Do a search and you will find many highly credentialed docs and scientists who disagree with the mainstream view.  Unfortunately, they have been branded as “quacks” and the self appointed social media arbiters have declared their work as being unfit for dissemination to the public.  You know as well as I that only certain viewpoints are being permitted.

Maynard

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, tube fanatic said:

Why is it that when a view which is not mainstream is presented it automatically becomes misinformation?  

It's not but your reply doesn't refute what that article reports.

It has long been known that vitamins C and D help the body fight respiratory infections (even Fauci admits to supplementing with them).  It is also known that many are deficient in them due to exceedingly poor diets.  The message should have been to do everything which may help a person from getting sick.  These supplements are cheap enough for blanket recommendations.  

I've been in vitamin debates for 40 years and will admit there is some logic in some anecdotes, while misinformation in others. Don't want to go down that path right now.  

The same for non-standard treatments for hospitalized patients.  

Alot of snake oil out there and some of it is dangerous...Just because you read it on the internet doesn't make it true and that has been backed up by research over the last year.

When front line docs reported great success treating patients with 6-8 grams of IV vitamin C each day, why were they called out as spreading misinformation?  I know why, but can’t state the reasons here.

I'm not sure what reasoning you are using but do you have a link to this particular claim? 

As for labeling those who promote common sense approaches to avoiding getting sick as anti-vaxxers I think it is ridiculous.  

Sure. Otoh, Social Media lets the antivaxxers into mainstream folks feeds and supports their unscientific biases.

I know many who will not put an experimental gene therapy in their body, and they could care less if someone else does.  There are always different approaches to disease prevention and management and no one should be forced to use an approach with which they disagree as a condition of living their life (an example is denying an in person college education without having proof of taking the COVID product).

Good point and why I think Covid-19 passports are a good idea. Not everyone has to subscribe  but those entities that want to promote this approach should have the right to.

11 minutes ago, tube fanatic said:

Do a search and you will find many highly credentialed docs and scientists who disagree with the mainstream view.  Unfortunately, they have been branded as “quacks” and the self appointed social media arbiters have declared their work as being unfit for dissemination to the public. 

I did a search prior to making my claim and couldn't find one--Do you have a link? 

28 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

Its great to he a lemming isn't it? 

So you're saying that those of us who have had or are getting vaccines are lemmings?  No doubt you jumped off the bridge last fall.   Too bad.

51 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

So you're saying that those of us who have had or are getting vaccines are lemmings?  No doubt you jumped off the bridge last fall.   Too bad.

Hadnt jumped yet like you and everyone else.  What happened last fall?

I hope you have no issues with your shot(s).

1 hour ago, Zen Traveler said:

I am far from a lemming and am waiting for you or someone else to post something contrary to what the experts are saying. I contend the lemmings are those who always put up roadblocks to everything we are doing to keep society open because they don't think it's a threat because of what they've read on the internet.

We've come along way since: 

Thanks for making my point.  As information accumulates viewpoints change.  I'm waiting on some long term results as to what ultimately happens with your r n a.  No one has that info as this is too new. 

Dont know why it didn't add my quote that you referenced.

I am NOT an anti vacciner.  I get how giving you a small dose of something builds your bodys immune system and helps you fight it.  Its how I got over allergies by taking shots for 4 years.  All my children were vaccinated as well as they grew up.. This vaccine isn't that.  Actually it isn't really a vaccine in the traditional sense.

1 hour ago, CECAA850 said:

Hadnt jumped yet like you and everyone else.  What happened last fall?

I hope you have no issues with your shot(s).

he did ,  been quite the nag lately -

3 hours ago, Zen Traveler said:

Then you are evidently 80% protected from getting Covid-19 if exposed. 

80% is great  , couple of months down the road   , the Variants will take over ----I doubt that the current vaccines will be very effective -

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1