Corona Virus Disease/(SARS-CoV-2) II

CECAA850

14 minutes ago, dwilawyer said:

What vodka do you know of that 180 proof, 90% alcohol v/v?

Redistilled vodka pushing the alcohol content that high to make Absinthe, the real Absinthe, to attempt to see green fairies and put my ears in peril. I still have my ears and never seen any fairies. 

• Like 1

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, dirtmudd said:

That would work, how much is it?

A gal. of 190 proof lab/food grade ethanol runs about $100. I think Everclear is about same price and you can buy it by the quart.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says that for "disinfection, diluted household bleach solutions, alcohol solutions with at least 70% alcohol, and most common EPA-registered household disinfectants should be effective."

9 minutes ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

Redistilled vodka pushing the alcohol content that high to make Absinthe, the real Absinthe, to attempt to see green fairies and put my ears in peril. I still have my ears and never seen any fairies. 

Real Absinthe is not readily available in the States...

2 minutes ago, Sancho Panza said:

Real Absinthe is not readily available in the States...

About the time Moulin Rouge (the movie) came out I was able to buy some from Europe in a plain brown wrapper.

Boy that stuff can clear out the sinuses.

Never saw the green fairy.

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

^ Fact

Where have you all been? It's in every top tier bar in  New Orleans, I was in one they had 30 kinds including some from US.

Absinthe was illegal in Europ because of myths about it. After new EU laws in 90s it became available again and started being imported again to US. It may be unavailable in certain states.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dwilawyer said:

Where have you all been? It's in every top tier bar in  New Orleans, I was in one they had 30 kinds including some from US.

In the United States, real Absinthe is not a controlled substance but its sale in bars and liquor stores is banned. 

https://www.originalabsinthe.com/buy-real-absinthe-online

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
20 minutes ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

In the United States, real Absinthe is not a controlled substance but its sale in bars and liquor stores is banned. 

https://www.originalabsinthe.com/buy-real-absinthe-online

The wormwood is what created the myths, and you can get wormwood absinthe in the US. Real European absinthe, made from the Swiss recipie,  the one that the myths about green fairy's came from,.the kind Hemmingway wrote about is alive and well, at least in Louisiana and Texas.

Unique marketing idea, brand a "real one"..I wonder if it is EU compliant, they have tighter standards than US.

• Like 2

• Moderators

If you find yourself down in NOLA stop in here:

4. Learn About Absinthe at SoFAB

The Southern Food and Beverage Museum on Oretha Castle Haley, also known as the SoFAB Institute, has an exhibit dedicated to the history and unique preparation of the spirit. View a private collection of beautiful absinthe fountains, spoons, and glassware while learning about the artists who adored the beverage, and how the drink made its way from France to New Orleans.

9 minutes ago, dwilawyer said:

The wormwood is what created the myths, and you can get wormwood absinthe in the US. Real European absinthe, made from the Swiss recipie,  the one that the myths about green fairy's came from,.the kind Hemmingway wrote about is alive and well, at least in Louisiana and Texas.

Unique marketing idea, brand a "real one"..I wonder if it is EU compliant, they have tighter standards than US.

A common misconception is that "real absinthe" was re-legalized in the United States in 2007, but the TTB merely clarified its ruling on thujone content and allowed the word "absinthe" to appear on liquor labels in the USA again.

If you want real absinthe, you have to make it. You're not buying real absinthe in the bars or in the stores. For my part, after having real absinthe, is that one will die of alcohol poisoning before they get to see green fairies. 

• Like 1