Corona Virus Disease/(SARS-CoV-2) II

CECAA850

New Texas COVID-19 variant resistant to antibodies, researchers say

Texas A&M University researchers have identified a new COVID-19 variant called BV-1, after Brazos Valley, where it originated.

Scientists at the Texas A&M Global Health Research Complex (GHRC) identified the variant from a saliva sample taken from a student as a part of an ongoing testing program. Researchers believe it’s related to the United Kingdom variant.

The student with the confirmed case showed mild flu-like symptoms for nearly a month, suggesting this new variant may cause a longer than normal infection in young adults. Although only one mild case has been confirmed, researchers are worried that the variant shows resistance to antibodies.

https://www.kxan.com/news/coronavirus/new-texas-covid-19-variant-resistant-to-antibodies-researchers-say/

Sputnik V-------it has a different second dose

the Sputnik jab uses two slightly different versions of the vaccine for the first and the second dose - given 21 days apart.

They both target the coronavirus's distinctive "spike", but use different vectors - the neutralised virus that carries the spike to the body.

The idea is that using two different formulas boosts the immune system even more than using the same version twice - and may give longer-lasting protection.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-55748124

I get my 2nd in the morning... I hope that if they have a 3rd shot it will be like when I got the 1st one...no side effects.

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

I am focusing on Asia and the South Pacific  in my latest  posts  -Covid19 is in a 2nd or 3rd wave ,  it's no longer  Millions ,  but Billions that are at risk -

Asia PacificHospitals run short of beds as Asia's COVID-19 cases surge

India and Thailand reported record daily coronavirus cases on Thursday, India breached 200,000 daily infections for the first time on Thursday

Rising infections have also put strain on the healthcare system in Manila and Bangkok.

The Philippines saw many hospitals in its capital region, home to around 13 million people, filling up, as cases rise.

Thailand reported 1,543 new coronavirus cases on Thursday, the sharpest increase since the start of the pandemic

Cambodia imposed a lockdown in its capital and a satellite district on Thursday as an outbreak that started in late February saw cases spike almost ten-fold to 4,874 within two months.

Bangladesh also began a week-long lockdown with strict restrictions on Wednesday as infections have reached around 7,000 cases a day in the last two weeks from below 300 in February.

https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-pacific/hospitals-run-short-beds-asias-covid-19-cases-surge-2021-04-15/

• Like 1

On 4/18/2021 at 1:30 PM, RandyH000 said:

More young people are getting hospitalized as a 'stickier,' more infectious coronavirus strain becomes dominant

What used to be a mysterious new variant first detected in the UK is now the most dominant coronavirus strain in the US.

And unlike the original strain of the novel coronavirus, the more contagious B.1.1.7 strain is hitting young people particularly hard.
"We are seeing these increases in younger adults, most of whom have not yet been vaccinated."

12 hours ago, RandyH000 said:

New Texas COVID-19 variant resistant to antibodies, researchers say

Texas A&M University researchers have identified a new COVID-19 variant called BV-1, after Brazos Valley, where it originated.

Scientists at the Texas A&M Global Health Research Complex (GHRC) identified the variant from a saliva sample taken from a student as a part of an ongoing testing program. Researchers believe it’s related to the United Kingdom variant.

It appears these two stories are related and expose the need for more Americans to be vaccinated. If we have a high number that aren't then these unvaccinated people are going to keep being petri dishes for the virus to spread and mutate.

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, RandyH000 said:

I am focusing on Asia and the South Pacific  in my latest  posts  -Covid19 is in a 2nd or 3rd wave ,  it's no longer  Millions ,  but Billions that are at risk -

There definitely needs to be a global plan to get vaccinations out to every country that's seeing cases increase exponentially. 

• Haha 1

• Klipsch Employees
Just now, Zen Traveler said:

It appears these two stories are related and expose the need for more Americans to be vaccinated. If we have a high number that aren't then these unvaccinated people are going to keep being petri dishes for the virus to spread and mutate.

....Is that like when folks get a flu shot...the shot will stop all flu?  No, and they have had YEARS to "get it right".  The last year and a bit have done it. There is no more flu. (it's all covid now) In indiana there was 168000 cases of flu in 2019...168 in 2020. Where did it all go? Did everyone get a shot and now the flu is gone?  NO.  Just like with this lab test, the population is the lab rat.  We don't get the flu and we DON"T get the flu shot.  Same for this 98% recoverable and survivable  bug.  F the shot and the money bags it rode up on.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

30 minutes ago, Trey Cannon said:

Where did it all go? Did everyone get a shot and now the flu is gone?  NO.  Just like with this lab test, the population is the lab rat.  We don't get the flu and we DON"T get the flu shot. 

There are several reasons the Flu didn't spread in the US this season. One is there wasn't much travel to South of the equator countries and we have been social distancing and wearing masks which also limits the spread of disease.

Same for this 98% recoverable and survivable  bug.  F the shot and the money bags it rode up on.

573,000 dead Americans because of Covid-19 and many more whose life has been changed because of the virus. 

9 minutes ago, Trey Cannon said:

The last year and a bit have done it. There is no more flu. (it's all covid now) In indiana there was 168000 cases of flu in 2019...168 in 2020.

When travel starts up and social distancing and mask wearing wane, the flu will once again be prevalent and next year when vaccines wear off Covid will also be a worry. My guess is they will make a combined vaccine or at least give both shots at the same time.

16 minutes ago, Trey Cannon said:

Is that like when folks get a flu shot...the shot will stop all flu?  No, and they have had YEARS to "get it right".

How the Flu Virus Can Change: “Drift” and “Shift” | CDC and Key Facts About Seasonal Flu Vaccine | CDC

From the second  link: 

Why do I need a flu vaccine every year?

A flu vaccine is needed every season for two reasons. First, a person’s immune protection from vaccination declines over time, so an annual vaccine is needed for optimal protection. Second, because flu viruses are constantly changing, flu vaccines may be updated from one season to the next to protect against the viruses that research suggests may be most common during the upcoming flu season. For the best protection, everyone 6 months and older should get vaccinated annually.

• Like 1

wearing masks and the flu was almost gone----------now if the  same  is done with Covid ------ we cannot have the same results as the bug is much  more virulent ---but there is no doubt that wearing masks , social distancing helps reduce the risks  of contracting both the flu and covid 19  , it should be priority no 1   , and just as important as a vaccine  --like my Grandma used to say , an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure ----Wear your Friggin Mask-

• Like 2

12 hours ago, NBPK402 said:

I get my 2nd in the morning... I hope that if they have a 3rd shot it will be like when I got the 1st one...no side effects

the 2nd shot ,  no side effects ------not so sure

the 2nd shot ,  no side effects ------not so sure
Just got my 2nd shot, so far fine. What I meant was I am hoping the 3rd and yearly have no side effects.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, NBPK402 said:

I am hoping the 3rd and yearly have no side effects

they are pumping these vaccines out with the latest technology available and ,  with all the lessons they learned in  prior research in the vaccine industry ---that should count for something

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RandyH000 said:

but there is no doubt that wearing masks , social distancing helps reduce the risks  of contracting both the flu and covid 19  , it should be priority no 1   , and just as important as a vaccine 

CDC chief: Masks are better at stopping coronavirus than a vaccine (yahoo.com)

From the link: {Edit Note: I remember how much of a mask advocate Dr Redfield was but evidently/thankfully he was wrong on the advocacy of the vaccine.}  

WASHINGTON — In a congressional hearing Wednesday, Dr. Robert Redfield, director of the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, held up the disposable surgical mask he had been wearing and declared that the simple covering may ultimately be better than a much-hoped-for vaccine.

This face mask is more guaranteed to protect me against COVID than when I take a COVID vaccine,” Redfield said, referring to COVID-19, the disease caused by the coronavirus. That disease has now killed about 200,000 people in the United States.

Redfield went on to say that a vaccine could have an immunogenicity of 70 percent, meaning that it may not work in close to one-third of people to whom it is administered.

• Like 2

European drug regulator backs J&J vaccine, says blood clot risk is small

The European Union's drug regulator ruled today that a warning about unusual blood clots associated with with low levels of blood platelets should be added to the product information for Johnson & Johnson's vaccine – but concluded that the vaccine's benefits outweigh the risk.

https://news.yahoo.com/us-reporting-more-400k-cases-080013990.html

• Like 1

Makes sense, since masks do not care what strain you have and still protect you better than no mask. I saw a report this morning that apparently they have not been testing t cells, and the numbers could be much higher on who is infected.