Corona Virus Disease/(SARS-CoV-2) II

CECAA850

2 minutes ago, USNRET said:

This statement is what the world's media is shouting and is totally false. It depends on the the surface that the expectorant lands.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/faq.html

Right from their website:

It may be possible that a person can get COVID-19 by touching a surface or object that has the virus on it and then touching their own mouth, nose, or possibly their eyes, but this is not thought to be the main way the virus spreads.

Just now, tigerwoodKhorns said:

Right from their website:

It may be possible that a person can get COVID-19 by touching a surface or object that has the virus on it and then touching their own mouth, nose, or possibly their eyes, but this is not thought to be the main way the virus spreads.

Yes but you have to know the actual life of the virus germ on (different)  surfaces that you may touch and THAT is an issue with the media; as usual.. Why is this different from some other slob sneezing on a WALMART keypad?

2 minutes ago, 7heavenlyplaces said:

This has to do with viable life expectancy of the virus on hard surfaces. If the virus can live or not and for how long.

I got the information from a disease expert in an interview.

This Forbes article states that we do not knwo how long it can last but that it may be nine days (which I have heard before).

https://www.forbes.com/sites/victoriaforster/2020/02/09/scientists-predict-coronavirus-may-live-for-up-to-nine-days-on-surfaces/#58d2938914e3

This is the quote regarding coronaviruses in general: 

'The review found that on average, coronaviruses can live on surfaces for between four and five days, but some could survive for up to nine days outside of the body at room temperature.'

My question is why do we not know this already?  Isn't this one of the first things that they would study?  My wife and I were talking about this a few days ago. 

Is there new information?  I really do want to know this.  How long can it last on food and other surfaces? 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, 7heavenlyplaces said:

This has to do with viable life expectancy of the virus on hard surfaces. If the virus can live or not and for how long on what type of surface.

I am not a biological engineer although that is my son's major and we have conversed.
Everyone needs to cleanup, wipe up and stop social media BS, 
That makes any additional posts to this thread by me...not happening; good evening  

• Like 1

Here is the best that I have found from the CDC on spread:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/about/transmission.html

COVID-19 is a new disease and we are still learning how it spreads, the severity of illness it causes, and to what extent it may spread in the United States.

Spread from contact with contaminated surfaces or objects

For now I will rely on the spread of other coronaviruses which means up to nine days. 

5 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

China is a cesspool of germs.  Safety and hygiene are second thoughts.  It's the perfect storm for something like this to occur.   No i don't think the US will be affected in the same manner.

One of the interesting first attempts at identifying groups that were more susceptible to this stated there was a corollary between the absurdly high rates of male cigarette smokers in China and vulnerability to Wuhan. Now I would add to that the worst pollution in the world so in essence they have compromised immune systems due to all the toxins they breathe all the time. Air pollution is beyond belief there. There is nothing on our worst days for pollution here that is anywhere close to major urban centers in China every day. Here is a web site that racks current pollution levels world wide. https://aqicn.org/map/world/         Any areas in particular that might stand out here? Also note that Iran has the worst high air pollution levels among Arabic nations. Now the interesting thing about the daily tracking for Wuhan right now is that so much of industry is shut down their current daily air pollution levels are no where near as deadly as normal.

Also note the following. https://www.eurasiareview.com/01022020-polluted-air-could-be-an-important-cause-of-wuhan-pneumonia-oped/

Italy as noted elsewhere has the highest elderly population in Europe and like the elderly everywhere they have more problems with flu. An old folks home in WA is where the worst problems to date arose in the USA.

In August of 2009, I contracted H1N1 (17.4% worldwide mortality rate from the above chart).  I can see why so many people didn't survive it.  It was mostly younger people that didn't slow down or respect how serious it was.  It took my immune system down to the point that I required antibiotics to fight back the secondary infections that started up on week two. My immune system just couldn't kick it. 

When my GP came back into the room with the positive results of the viral test, he stood across the room to tell me.  Beforehand he didn't believe that I had the flu in August (the middle of summer in Texas) when I told him, he was poking and thumping freely.  There were no other confirmed cases of H1N1 in the county where I live (Tarrant). even after I contracted it. 

I traced the most probable source of the infection to a taco salad that I had in Orlando on a business trip since I was only there for a day and only ate once (i.e., someone preparing the salad obviously sneezed or coughed--which is typical in food preparation. No benefits are paid to those workers that are ill such that they come into work anyway).  The incubation time for that flu was 24 hours or less. I started to feel it in the morning on the plane back to DFW Intl. 

The current virus has a much longer incubation time and persistence on surfaces (measured in days instead of hours).

______________________________________________________________________________________________

I think that the current virus should be taken seriously, but there are precautions that can be taken:

• eat no food that hasn't been cooked at a reasonable temperature (ruling out salads, fresh fruits, etc.),
  • keep your hands away from your face and use 60+% alcohol-based hand cleaners religiously, especially in public places like bathrooms and entrances/exits to buildings
  • stay away from anyone that shows signs of respiratory problems especially coughing or sneezing, looking pale or feverish, etc. (many people don't acknowledge they're ill until it is too late and they infect others). 
  • be careful of interactions with younger school-aged children

What I am doing for the upcoming COVID-19 (coronavirus) pandemic

Dear Colleagues,

As some of you may recall, when I was a professor of pathology at the University of California San Diego, I was one of the first molecular virologists in the world to work on coronaviruses (the 1970s). I was the first to demonstrate the number of genes the virus contained. Since then, I have kept up with the coronavirus field and its multiple clinical transfers into the human population (e.g., SARS, MERS), from different animal sources.

The current projections for its expansion in the US are only probable, due to continued insufficient worldwide data, but it is most likely to be widespread in the US by mid to late March and April.

Here is what I have done and the precautions that I take and will take. These are the same precautions I currently use during our influenza seasons, except for the mask and gloves.:

1) NO HANDSHAKING! Use a fist bump, slight bow, elbow bump, etc.

2) Use ONLY your knuckle to touch light switches. elevator buttons, etc.. Lift the gasoline dispenser with a paper towel or use a disposable glove.

3) Open doors with your closed fist or hip - do not grasp the handle with your hand, unless there is no other way to open the door. Especially important on bathroom and post office/commercial doors.

4) Use disinfectant wipes at the stores when they are available, including wiping the handle and child seat in grocery carts.

5) Wash your hands with soap for 10-20 seconds and/or use a greater than 60% alcohol-based hand sanitizer whenever you return home from ANY activity that involves locations where other people have been.

6) Keep a bottle of sanitizer available at each of your home's entrances. AND in your car for use after getting gas or touching other contaminated objects when you can't immediately wash your hands.

7) If possible, cough or sneeze into a disposable tissue and discard. Use your elbow only if you have to. The clothing on your elbow will contain infectious virus that can be passed on for up to a week or more.

What I have stocked in preparation for the pandemic spread to the US:

1) Latex or nitrile latex disposable gloves for use when going shopping, using the gasoline pump, and all other outside activity when you come in contact with contaminated areas.
Note: This virus is spread in large droplets by coughing and sneezing. This means that the air will not infect you! BUT all the surfaces where these droplets land are infectious for about a week on average - everything that is associated with infected people will be contaminated and potentially infectious. The virus is on surfaces and you will not be infected unless your unprotected face is directly coughed or sneezed upon. This virus only has cell receptors for lung cells (it only infects your lungs) The only way for the virus to infect you is through your nose or mouth via your hands or an infected cough or sneeze onto or into your nose or mouth.

2) Stock up now with disposable surgical masks and use them to prevent you from touching your nose and/or mouth (We touch our nose/mouth 90X/day without knowing it!). This is the only way this virus can infect you - it is lung-specific. The mask will not prevent the virus in a direct sneeze from getting into your nose or mouth - it is only to keep you from touching your nose or mouth.

3) Stock up now with hand sanitizers and latex/nitrile gloves (get the appropriate sizes for your family). The hand sanitizers must be alcohol-based and greater than 60% alcohol to be effective.

4) Stock up now with zinc lozenges. These lozenges have been proven to be effective in blocking coronavirus (and most other viruses) from multiplying in your throat and nasopharynx. Use as directed several times each day when you begin to feel ANY "cold-like" symptoms beginning. It is best to lie down and let the lozenge dissolve in the back of your throat and nasopharynx. Cold-Eeze lozenges is one brand available, but there are other brands available.

I, as many others do, hope that this pandemic will be reasonably contained, BUT I personally do not think it will be. Humans have never seen this snake-associated virus before and have no internal defense against it. Tremendous worldwide efforts are being made to understand the molecular and clinical virology of this virus. Unbelievable molecular knowledge about the genomics, structure, and virulence of this virus has already been achieved. BUT, there will be NO drugs or vaccines available this year to protect us or limit the infection within us. Only symptomatic support is available.

I hope these personal thoughts will be helpful during this potentially catastrophic pandemic. You are welcome to share this email. Good luck to all of us!

Jim
James Robb, MD FCAP

Chris

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Unless we all plan to use the precautions listed above religiously, I think it wise to consider carefully the course of action that most of the business world has already taken.  Obviously KGI has taken these precautions.  My daughter's workplace has already shut down with only telecommuting allowed unless a face-to-face meeting is critical to company operations (a large fashionable retailer headquartered in Seattle).  I'm sure that others here know about other workplace shutdowns from family relatives.

I don't know the latest date to cancel SWAG venues and hotel rooms, but that should be a factor in watching what occurs as the infection arrives in most areas (which it will).  We haven't seen this virus, and where it has occurred, up to 10% mortality has been observed. Bravado isn't a very effective substitute...

Chris

• Like 1

These are all valid and good advices.

Best precaution is to stay home and away from potential virus threat.

Public transportation (buses, trains...) especially in densly populated areas, cities, are usually worst places to be when such threat occurs.

Going to work in a bus or streetcar where poeple step on each other and have faces close togheter almost inevitabely calls for infection. We can clearly see that happen in a flu season.

• Like 1

Not to pile on, but rather to inform...

When I finally recovered from H1N1 later in 2009 (it took a couple of months), I went back to my GP for a yearly physical.  My doctor started talking about the H1N1 diagnosis in August when he looked at my chart. He then said something that really got my attention: how the county medical officer "disallowed" the diagnosis.  My doctor is a brilliant guy, so for him to mention this meant that he was trying to convey something important that I should know.  

When I heard this, something that I felt inside turned me ice cold.  Why would a county medical officer "disallow" a diagnosis without examining me or the test sample first hand?  The answer of course is that something was pressuring the county medical officer to disallow it rather than admit that it did occur.  Now why would that be the case?  I'll leave that to your imagination (as did my doctor with me). My doctor then reiterated that two sample tests had been used and both came back positive (one a rapid test, and another a more thorough but longer test that takes a few days that confirms the first).  He was visibly disgusted with what he had to tell me.  He then changed the subject immediately back to my physical exam. 

The effect that this would have, I think (and Texas has a pretty good track record for public health relative to geographically adjoining states) is that under-reporting of non-hospitalizations during these "pandemics" is probably the norm. 

That should get your attention.

Chris

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chris A said:

Not to pile on, but rather to inform...

When I finally recovered from H1N1 later in 2009 (it took a couple of months), I went back to my GP for a yearly physical.  My doctor started talking about the H1N1 diagnosis in August when he looked at my chart. He then said something that really got my attention: how the county medical officer "disallowed" the diagnosis.  My doctor is a brilliant guy, so for him to mention this meant that he was trying to convey something important that I should know.  

When I heard this, something that I felt inside turned me ice cold.  Why would a county medical officer "disallow" a diagnosis without examining me or the test sample first hand?  The answer of course is that something was pressuring the county medical officer to disallow it rather than admit that it did occur.  Now why would that be the case?  I'll leave that to your imagination (as did my doctor with me).     Chris

On the face of it, without drilling down any further - the ‘conspiracy’ concern does not hold water. If you’re going to ‘doctor’ your data you certainly would not document your actions at any visible level and this was placed in your medical records for all interested parties to witness. I suspect that your diagnosis was acknowledged on the level it represented...... it was a case of the flu but one not severe enough to warrant hospital care. Public health data is often ‘crunched’ in categories and when your case was reviewed for inclusion into a ‘sicker’ data base it was ‘disallowed’ because it did not belong there. They did not need to look further into your biometrics, etc in their efforts to better understand what sort of people were getting more seriously ill. They are doing similar things with the corona virus. They will analyze in finer detail people who died and why they may have been more adversely affected. 

But if you had concerns then or even now....... contact them and ask. Do not assume the worst. Believe me if they wanted it hidden - you would have never known about it.

On 3/11/2020 at 9:36 AM, Bosco-d-gama said:

On the face of it, without drilling down any further - the ‘conspiracy’ concern does not hold water. If you’re going to ‘doctor’ your data you certainly would not document your actions at any visible level and this was placed in your medical records for all interested parties to witness. I suspect that your diagnosis was acknowledged on the level it represented...... it was a case of the flu but one not severe enough to warrant hospital care. Public health data is often ‘crunched’ in categories and when your case was reviewed for inclusion into a ‘sicker’ data base it was ‘disallowed’ because it did not belong there. They did not need to look further into your biometrics, etc in their efforts to better understand what sort of people were getting more seriously ill. They are doing similar things with the corona virus. They will analyze in finer detail people who died and why they may have been more adversely affected. 

But if you had concerns then or even now....... contact them and ask. Do not assume the worst. Believe me if they wanted it hidden - you would have never known about it.

I'm not sure what your role is in the public health system, but your advice above has no value from my perspective. 

This isn't a joking matter.  (Try living through something like  H1N1 personally...I think you'd come back with another set of comments.)  There are a few people talking about a fairly serious subject here rather cavalierly.  That's the message of my posts, above. 

If a bunch of guys trying to make some obscure point intend on showing up in Hope the first week in April (BTW: probably at the height of the US epidemic) with a similar kind of attitude toward this (and I'm now assuming that includes you), perhaps that is a red flag enough on my attendance.  Is that your message?  If so, that's an easy call for me to make.

Chris

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Chris A said:

I'm not sure what your role is in the public health system, but your advice above has no value from my perspective. 

This isn't a joking matter.  Chris

My advice is for you to learn the facts instead of spewing speculative and ill informed conclusions. If that holds ‘no value’ then the problem is not with me. As you say this is no ‘joking’ matter..........  which is why ‘facts’ matter. Texas has plenty of pertinent data online about its H1N1 experiences. Your initial post asks readers to ‘use their imagination’......... that is a joke when it comes to serious matters.

3 minutes ago, Bosco-d-gama said:

My advice is for you to learn the facts instead of spewing speculative and ill informed conclusions. If that holds ‘no value’ then the problem is not with me. As you say this is no ‘joking’ matter..........  which is why ‘facts’ matter. Texas has plenty of pertinent data online about its H1N1 experiences. Your initial post asks readers to ‘use their imagination’......... that is a joke when it comes to serious matters.

I believe that's an easy decision for me to make...

Thanks to the organizers of the SWAG event and best wishes.  I truly hope that everything comes out as planned without incident.

Chris

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Chris A said:

This isn't a joking matter.  (Try living through something like  H1N1 personally...I think you'd come back with another set of comments.)  There are a few people talking about a fairly serious subject here rather cavalierly.  That's the message of my posts, above. 

That was my point, too, Chris. My Flu wasn't H1N1, it was "just plain-ol' Flu", yet I ended up sprawled on a hospital bed with lots of wires and tubes attached and a damaged heart. To take such a nonchalant attitude about a virus that has all indications of being even worse than "just plain-ol' Flu" strikes me as being on the same level as saying, "Hey, guys, watch this. Hold my beer."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators

Bunch of "armchair infectious disease experts" 'round these parts (and by that I mean all over the internet and probably most U.S. communities).

I think the smartest thing to do is understand this is super early in the timeline of the outbreak. Is it time to freak out and hoard all the TP (seriously what is that about)? Probably not. Is it time to be nonchalant about it? Hell no. The media certainly ain't helping at all.

Let's listen to actual science and to people who have spent the better parts of their lives actually studying these types of things, rather than dismiss it as being overblown though. That Joe Rogan podcast snippet linked above is a good example of real information we should probably pay attention to. Don't listen to the "entertainment news" or our politicians. Get your info from the real actual experts.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1