Need help selecting drivers KLF30

Bigfootexpert

2 minutes ago, jjptkd said:

No they are both tweeters 2 options available the first pic is the de-10 and the second, which I recommend, is the de-120 with the smaller but more powerful neodymium magnet. 

Perfect, It now makes sense. I want to make sure I can get all the hardware first before I pull the trigger on everything. Home Depot has Birch Ply with my name on it

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bigfootexpert said:

Cool, I'm definitely going the DPHL route, I just ordered 4ea. 12" CIARA woofers, Ebay Mid/tweeter Horns and the DE120-8 Tweeters. Now I just need the mid Drivers and Crossovers

I'm +$800 into it now. there is no turning Back

Nice! Dont forget the rubber mid horn gaskets from crites when you order the drivers and crossovers

• Like 1

Just now, jjptkd said:

Dont forget terminal connectors and port tubes

Yes, I' will have to do some math, get dimensions and start on the cabinets. As soon as i do, I will probably start a build thread. Does anyone know the material thickness of the OEM Boxes being used? I most likely will use 3/4" MDF but will have to compensate if the OEM thickness is 5/8 or 1/2"

So I have been in contact with the Crites, very helpful folks by the way! I basically am sticking with the CIARA Woofers but will be using the C-600 Cast Alum. Horns with M-55G Mids, and their CT120 Tweeter with horns and crossovers of course. They all-ready warned me that they can't guarantee anything since they are unfamiliar with the specs of my woofers but we shall see. 🤞 BTW The C-600 Horns and Mids are the same as Cornwall's

• 1 month later...

Good luck with your build. 

If you're interested, I have 3 of the OEM KLF-30 ports...all you would need to do is find a fourth.

On 10/31/2020 at 12:50 PM, jjptkd said:

Does anyone know the material thickness of the OEM Boxes being used?

The front is... according to my caliper...

image0.jpeg

image1.jpeg

image2.jpeg

• Like 1

I don't know about the Ciair woofers but there has been a lot of discussion about the KLF 30 cabinets being under sized for the stock woofers as Klipsch was trying to keep the size of the 30's reasonable. You may want to look at bigger cabinets than the stock ones depending on the Ciair specs. Just a thought. Good luck with the build!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/11/2020 at 4:15 PM, shovelnose said:

I don't know about the Ciair woofers but there has been a lot of discussion about the KLF 30 cabinets being under sized for the stock woofers as Klipsch was trying to keep the size of the 30's reasonable. You may want to look at bigger cabinets than the stock ones depending on the Ciair specs. Just a thought. Good luck with the build!

It would be cool to build a pair that adds enough height to be front ported, it would make these speakers a lot easier to place. My KLF20s and KLF30s always wanted to be closer to the wall than their rear ports would allow.

I'm looking forward to seeing the finished results and possibly the measurements from the OP. I've always liked the looks of the KLF towers and I think developing an upgraded version is a worthwhile project.

Edited by dmckean44
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, dmckean44 said:

It would be cool to build a pair that adds enough height to be front ported, it would make these speakers a lot easier to place. My KLF20s and KLF30s always wanted to be closer to the wall than their rear ports would allow.

I'm looking forward to seeing the finished results and possibly the measurements from the OP. I've always liked the looks of the KLF towers and I think developing an upgraded version is a worthwhile project.

I removed both baffles cut the vents off the back and then the same amount of the front baffle switched the short panel sections added a spacer the same thickness as the kerf of the saw blade then used a little paint and you cannot tell they are not stock. I did add a brace just above the seam between the two sections so the baffle is rock solid. (braces also added between the woofer and the mid)

KLF 20 or Quartet rebuilds 026.jpg

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

I put this in another thread, but got no response, so I thought I'd try here.  If this is a violation of protocol, I apologize (total newbie).  Please let me know and I won't do it again:

I have heard that the KLF-20 is regarded to have better bass than the KLF-30 because the enclosure on the KLF-30 is technically too small for the K31 woofers.  I believe the VAS of the original K-31 is 386 liters, whereas the VAS for the Ciare HW321 is only 205 liters.  Wouldn’t that be an improvement?

Both speakers have the exact same impedance (Re): 5.7 ohms, and sensitivity 93dB.  

The major differences seem to be Fs of 19hz for the K31 vs 27hz for the Ciare, and Qts of 0.185 (K-31) vs 0.33 (Ciare HW321).  

What does that tell us about using the Ciare HW321 as a replacement for the K31 in the KLF-30?

Edited yesterday at 02:02 PM by alanhuth 

1 hour ago, alanhuth said:

I put this in another thread, but got no response, so I thought I'd try here.  If this is a violation of protocol, I apologize (total newbie).  Please let me know and I won't do it again:

I have heard that the KLF-20 is regarded to have better bass than the KLF-30 because the enclosure on the KLF-30 is technically too small for the K31 woofers.  I believe the VAS of the original K-31 is 386 liters, whereas the VAS for the Ciare HW321 is only 205 liters.  Wouldn’t that be an improvement?

Both speakers have the exact same impedance (Re): 5.7 ohms, and sensitivity 93dB.  

The major differences seem to be Fs of 19hz for the K31 vs 27hz for the Ciare, and Qts of 0.185 (K-31) vs 0.33 (Ciare HW321).  

What does that tell us about using the Ciare HW321 as a replacement for the K31 in the KLF-30?

Edited yesterday at 02:02 PM by alanhuth 

Welcome to the forum!

• Like 1

Thanks,  billybob.

PrestonTom, I don’t know where I got this first one, but here are the K31 specs I saved.  The second one came from thread you started back in 2007.  One said 360 liters, the other 384.  In either case, that’s a lot bigger than 205 for the Ciare.  

Both say the VAS is around 360 liters. Does VAS change based on whether it’s for Jubilee or KLF-30?image.thumb.png.f1f0bad297edd4388757e9662f524af2.png

image.jpeg

Edited by alanhuth
  • Like 1