Happy Halloween during Covid-19?

DizRotus

We will give candy to the young children of our neighbors and then turn off the light and watch a film.  If we had young children, we would not take them trick or treating, the risk is too great.  Who here will participate this year; either as a candy giver or candy receiver?

FWIW, Halloween will always haunt me as the day my older sister died after losing her long battle with alcoholism.  Did you know that Houdini also died on Halloween in Detroit?

Sadly we won’t be accommodating Halloween 🎃 this year either. Too many in our community are intellectually challenged and many determine their own public health policies. We have no kids of our own and will just keep quiet and dark. This saddens us greatly as Halloween is one of our favorite events. Love to see the costumes and all the fun. Hopefully all will be more normal next year.

• Like 1

Although we are nor participating this year it isn't because of COVID, neither of us are home this year. I already had a plan to install a "candy chute" that would be a 8 foot PVC pipe decorated that would go from the front porch out to the front of the steps. Kids still get to participate and contactless candy delivery. 

• Like 2

• Moderators

No Halloween here, not because of a virus but because of rural, no one has showed up in the 23 years we lived here. We turn off the porch lights just in case some loon tries it and we don't have candy. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Bosco-d-gama said:

Sadly we won’t be accommodating Halloween 🎃 this year either. Too many in our community are intellectually challenged and many determine their own public health policies. We have no kids of our own and will just keep quiet and dark. This saddens us greatly as Halloween is one of our favorite events. Love to see the costumes and all the fun. Hopefully all will be more normal next year.

That's us.

In happier times, get a load of this from 1964:

Scott and Lilibet October 1964.jpg

• Like 3

3 hours ago, rockhound said:

Although we are nor participating this year it isn't because of COVID, neither of us are home this year. I already had a plan to install a "candy chute" that would be a 8 foot PVC pipe decorated that would go from the front porch out to the front of the steps. Kids still get to participate and contactless candy delivery. 

Just took a walk around the block. Saw houses set up with these chutes and others who put up portable fence barriers to keep safe distances. Some energetic and creative folks. Happy to see that the kids will have some fun.

• Like 1

The photo below was taken in approximately 1984.  The subject has since served in Afghanistan, graduated from George Washington U, served in the D.C Metropolitan Police and is now in Security with Little Caesars Arena. 

The photo placed in a contest held by Seattle Film Works.  IIRC, the prize was $50.  It was taken using 35mm movie film.  The only light was from the candle in the Jack-O-Lantern. Fortunately, the burns to the fingers were minor.*

image.thumb.png.d59a06708b438cffe7e2696469b84a6e.png

* No children or pumpkins were harmed in the shooting of this photo.

• Like 1

After our neighbors brought their two young sons by for candy, they went to visit family.  They left small bags of candy in a bowl on their porch.  I told my wife that the first kid would scoop up all the candy.  I was wrong.  The first squirrel grabbed the candy.  A small black squirrel opened the bags and scampered of with the contents.  He returned over and over to open more bags.

The squirrel was not wearing a mask.

• Thanks 1

Hi,

Covid 19 > We have been confined since Friday, October 29, here in France, and that for at least 4 weeks (until December 1 minimum): and in addition curfew from 9:00 p.m. we are not allowed to go in the street , so no Halloween party for us.

But since we have 4 children (12 to 18 years old), we made homemade burggers and a little bag of candy to party with the family  

Jack-o'-Lantern_2003-10-31.jpg

• Like 1