F22 Raptor

USNRET

I enjoyed many air shows until my last formal show. Watched a guy misgauge a loop and plow his vintage Sabre jet into the tarmac. He did not survive. Sorta puts life in a different focus. Today we’ll visit the WW2 aircraft that annually stop in this region. Oddly I work at the Bird Aviation Museum but only to cover their collection of Dr. Birds respirators. But they have many vintage planes to see. Dr. Bird died about 10 years ago. His widow went flying with an associate 6 months later and their plane crashed killing both. Personally I prefer terra firma.

the design team at Lockheed was on the project of the YF-22 40 years ago,   the F-22 only  entered service in 2007 , and the production numbers were cut down , to 187  ,  sooner or later , they will either have to restart manufacturing of  more advanced F22's or introduce a new competition for the official replacement which is needed by 2040 -

41 minutes ago, RandyH000 said:

the design team at Lockheed was on the project of the YF-22 40 years ago,   the F-22 only  entered service in 2007 , and the production numbers were cut down , to 187  ,  sooner or later , they will either have to restart manufacturing of  more advanced F22's or introduce a new competition for the official replacement which is needed by 2040 -

I was on the delivery flight line as "Shooter 2" for about 8 years. Forget the tail numbers, something like 008 - 142; have to look at the plaque.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RandyH000 said:

The YF-22 was developed by Lockheed/Boeing/General Dynamics (GD) for the Airforce's ATF (Advanced Tactical Fighter) competition. I was a young engineer at GD in the mid to late 80's and I worked on the ATF program while supporting F-16 production at GD's Fort Worth plant (Air Force Plant #4).  I had already left GD by the time the YF-22 was selected as the winner against the Northrup/McDonnell Douglas YF-23 in the early 90's. Eventually, Lockheed bought the Fort Worth aircraft production business from GD.  As great as the F-16 was, the design and manufacturing processes for the YF-22 were a generation more advanced, with much more composite material in the airframe.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Seadog said:

The YF-22 was developed by Lockheed/Boeing/General Dynamics (GD) for the Airforce's ATF (Advanced Tactical Fighter) competition. I was a young engineer at GD in the mid to late 80's and I worked on the ATF program while supporting F-16 production at GD's Fort Worth plant (Air Force Plant #4).  I had already left GD by the time the YF-22 was selected as the winner against the Northrup/McDonnell Douglas YF-23 in the early 90's. Eventually, Lockheed bought the Fort Worth aircraft production business from GD.  As great as the F-16 was, the design and manufacturing processes for the YF-22 were a generation more advanced, with much more composite material in the airframe.

The F-22  was also a big effort  on the part of Pratt & Whitney as well as many Cad-Cam Contractors for Software applications -

• Like 1

Collaboration between companies like those familiar ones mentioned on a project, historically were more the common practice than the exception.

An example being the B-29, which may recall as started in 39, with the eventual rollout in the neighborhood of 2000 planes, built by 3 different aircraft concerns, also familiar.

• Like 1

As there are several Gentlemen here who have worked in the aircraft-industry, what is Your opinion. The next generation fighters will be predominantly UAVs, or do you think there will always be pilots on board? There are a lot of discussions going on, as far as i know.

Since childhood, military flying has always interested me. I spend ten years with the German Airforce, albeit in air defense only, my system was the venerable HAWK.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...