Finally will have LaScala's

Alexander

scott says, i do like they way they sound,    especially since we are using a denon avr style receiver,   i believe there is much more to the speaker if its given better equipment,  going to  separates should really make them perform.  alex has a emotiva preamp, and i have access to an amp or two to try (an old phase liner 400 and a new nuforce sta200). will evaluate and then make some decisions. thanks for any input.    

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 5ow said:

scott says, i do like they way they sound,    especially since we are using a denon avr style receiver,   i believe there is much more to the speaker if its given better equipment,  going to  separates should really make them perform.  alex has a emotiva preamp, and i have access to an amp or two to try (an old phase liner 400 and a new nuforce sta200). will evaluate and then make some decisions. thanks for any input.    

These are your speakers of course but I believe we need to get the xovers back to “normal” condition before we start comparing different pieces of hardware. I agree there will most likely going to be improvements over the avr setup that is currently being used.

Yes Scott & I spent about two hours yesterday together listening to the LS. We really like the more natural & open sound they have. But (for me) it seems to be missing some information in the lower register(s?) of the mid range and/or maybe the top part of the woofer.

With the material we listened to we both agreed that a sub is not an app salute necessity that some have described. Being in a medium'ish 14' x 20' x 8.75' room may have something to do with it?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Looking early into to the new year we hope to have a new or at least refreshed set of AA's. I have been very impressed with the 45yr old OEM xovers and anxious to hear what a new set of caps can do - even though we will be using entry level caps at this point.

On 12/20/2020 at 12:30 PM, Coytee said:

We can work on polluting your process... :emotion-14:

If you're doing any driving north/south, I'm right off I-75 and have a K510 & DX-38 you can borrow to play around with.  Once you hear that side by side with the stock.....  you're going to be facing your dark side wondering if that door should be opened or not....  (it won't be as easy once you hear it)

(Luke.....  come and feel the power of the dark side.....)

Thanks for the offer, at some point we might take you up on that. But to jump up to that level out of the gate could easily pollute our efferts.  :)

Once you taste the proverbial champagne & caviar it is hard to go back to cheap beer & hotdogs.

Well, they were originally used on the campaign trail in Arkansas as a P.A. speaker.

My old LS sound really, really good with my 2A3 SET amps... 3.5 watts per side (even with me using the large MWM bass cabinets instead of the single 15 jn each LS). The PL400 would really be overkill. Tweny-thirty watts is plenty.