Home theater setup recommendations.

MCG

So I have a pair of Khorns for my fronts and I have sampled one of my Heresy's as a center channel and while it sounds good with my S@%Y receiver, I have a Denon AVR- 6700H on the way as well as two La Scalas and two SPL-150SW's. My question is, would I be better off using the La Scalas as the rears with a single Heresy as a center or using a single La Scala as the center and the Heresy's as the rears? Another thought I had was to get another set of Khorns for the surround, a La Scala as a center and the Heresy's as the (rear) surrounds.

I'll eventually upgrade to a proper surround processor with separate components but I need to do more research first. Any advice here would be appreciated as well.

Edited by MCG
Clarification on my question.

Most movies send about 90% of the dialogue to the center channel, it's probably the most important speaker in a HT setup. I would say use a LS for the center. Will a LS fit in the area for the center? The surrounds and rear surrounds have a limited amount of signal going to them, so a Khorn might be overkill for that (if there's such a thing) 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Ceptorman said:

a Khorn might be overkill...

I'm sorry, I don't understand what this means...lol

My original plan was to have the two Khorns in front, the LS as the CC, Cornwalls eventually for the Surrounds, Heresy's as the rear Surrounds and two SPL-150 subs. I guess I just wanted some clarification since I know that PWK designed the Heresy as a center channel for the Khorns.

My next question is about the Center Channel placement. I purchased two La Scalas and I don't want to store the second LS elsewhere so I was hoping to place the two side by side under a 75" screen which would cause the single LS to be slightly off center; would this have a noticeable negative impact? Or another option would be to utilize both LS as a single center channel. Has anyone been able to accomplish this without creating some sort of problem?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MCG said:

My original plan was to have the two Khorns in front, the LS as the CC, Cornwalls eventually for the Surrounds, Heresy's as the rear Surrounds and two SPL-150 subs. I guess I just wanted some clarification since I know that PWK designed the Heresy as a center channel for the Khorns.

My next question is about the Center Channel placement. I purchased two La Scalas and I don't want to store the second LS elsewhere so I was hoping to place the two side by side under a 75" screen which would cause the single LS to be slightly off center; would this have a noticeable negative impact? Or another option would be to utilize both LS as a single center channel. Has anyone been able to accomplish this without creating some sort of problem?

You have a solid plan, with a lot of spectacular speakers. A few have tried to use twin matching speakers as a center, but I don't think it ever quite worked out. Khorn, LS, Khorn would be a terrific LCR, with CW for surrounds, and Heresies as rear surrounds. That's about as good as one could get for an HT. You would have an extra LS with this plan. @Davis has a similar setup, maybe he will chime in. You know we would have to see pics of this setup.

12 hours ago, MCG said:

If you are going to listen utilizing the surround codecs then the center position is extremely important where as the rears are background fill, directional sounds etc to enhance the movie.

For instance during NFL games the rears are people clapping/yelling and the announcers are only in the  front center.

Blu-Ray concert vids utilizing DTS-HD Master Audio are very underwhelming to me. I do not have any experience with any of the 5 channel DVD-A.

The Denon has a 5 channel mode which will run full content to all speakers, this is the mode I listen to concert vids in, in this mode the rears are more important and the front center less so.

The Hersey was intended to be a center for the K-Horns but more as fill in a big room not to carry major content as in surround duty. I feel my single Heresy is not quite up to the task in my setup.

So depending on your listening preference of how important the rear content is will answer your question for you.

Also the sound is only as good as the original mix and center speaker volume levels seem to be all over the place between different movies.

• Like 1

The Heresy was designed as a center speaker in a three speaker stereo array. This was decades before the multi channel movie audio. Later came the Cornwall for the center. I would definitely use a LaScala for the center. Any Heritage speaker is fine for surrounds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1