Center Channel and woofer suggestions - Klipsch R-820F floorstanding

Nikhil Kulkarni

• 2 weeks later...

The r-52C seems to be the recommended center channel to go with the 820F if you want the matching series.  I don't see an issue with going with the 504c if you want something beefier. 

Most people will recommend not going with Klipsch for the subwoofer and instead going with SVS or some other company.  I have dual 15" Klipsch 150-spl subs and enjoy them.  I'd recommend either dual 12" subs or a single 15".  

I love my Klipsch R-12sw i have 2 of them and the bass is amazing matter of fact i have the settings way down on them its way more than i need .. .however having 2 of them makes the bass very even . no dead spots ...it fills the room very nice and it doesn't have that "you have it up too loud" sound.

I would recommend the R-12sw you can find generally under 300 sometimes under 200 .. if you find them under 200 get 2... lol

The Center channel i would recommend the RC-62ii Just because of speaker size .. You have Dual 8" in front L/R.

or The RC-52 If you want to match the look of the Front L/R .

Good luck ... Let us know what you get ...

• 2 weeks later...

I also could not hold back on the half off deal and picked up these speakers today. They are run by a Pioneer VSX D307 and I have a Klipsch RS 120 subwoofer. So, my question is about about subwoofer settings with these: I'm thinking about leaving the gain at noon which I believe is zero; what about the low pass? It's set at 80 right now, but maybe that should be lowered. I read that bigger speakers should be set to lower levels. Taking Wuzzer's advice, I also have these running into the red connector on the sub to keep the amp recognizing the crossover. My wife thinks they should be pushed all the way back against the wall, but I was able to bargain for about 5 inches. What do you guys think? 

J

24 minutes ago, Jones said:

I also could not hold back on the half off deal and picked up these speakers today. They are run by a Pioneer VSX D307 and I have a Klipsch RS 120 subwoofer. So, my question is about about subwoofer settings with these: I'm thinking about leaving the gain at noon which I believe is zero; what about the low pass? It's set at 80 right now, but maybe that should be lowered. I read that bigger speakers should be set to lower levels. Taking Wuzzer's advice, I also have these running into the red connector on the sub to keep the amp recognizing the crossover. My wife thinks they should be pushed all the way back against the wall, but I was able to bargain for about 5 inches. What do you guys think? 

J

Since they're rear ported they do need to be away from the wall behind them for the port to work correctly.  A general rule of thumb is to measure the port diameter and have the speaker approximately the same distance from the wall.  Since your speakers have rectangular ports I'd suggest measuring the widest part (in your case, vertical) of the port and go with that if at all possible. 

As far as the sub, gain should be between 10 and 12 o'clock depending on what blends best with your other speakers.  Assuming you're using your Pioneer to set a crossover point you'll want to turn the crossover knob on your sub as high as it can go, usually will be 150-200Hz.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, wuzzzer said:

Since they're rear ported they do need to be away from the wall behind them for the port to work correctly.  A general rule of thumb is to measure the port diameter and have the speaker approximately the same distance from the wall.  Since your speakers have rectangular ports I'd suggest measuring the widest part (in your case, vertical) of the port and go with that if at all possible. 

As far as the sub, gain should be between 10 and 12 o'clock depending on what blends best with your other speakers.  Assuming you're using your Pioneer to set a crossover point you'll want to turn the crossover knob on your sub as high as it can go, usually will be 150-200Hz.

Cool, thanks. No other speakers right now, just a 2.1 system. The amp has a single pre sub out. Should I switch it back to the single white/LTE input on the subwoofer if I am going to max the low pass? 

I tried it and the system sounded like it was under water. I don't think my old amp does it's own crossover. I set low pass back to around 80 and things sound good, actually pretty great! Nicest setup I have ever had. Eventually I will upgrade the amp and then I'll try the LFE maxed out again. Cheers!

• 6 months later...

Comparing the 34c and the 404c, the sensitivity is almost the same: 96db vs 97db respectively at 2.83V/1M. The materials of the tweeters and woofers are different however. The 34's are identical materials to my 820F's but the 404's are different all around. What is biggest concern for pairing? If it is sensitivity, then I think would be all set with the 404's. If it is materials, crossover frequency, or frequency response then I may have to stick with non-premiere. My wife is definitely NOT going to allow me to upgrade those towers any time soon!

The R 52c is less money than both other options but only has the 2 woofers. I might get the 404's (and maybe even the 52's) while they are on sale and then return the ones that are my least favorite. I don't generally do that kind of thing, but it is so hard to tell what it will sound like until I have everything paired together.

And then I still need to figure out the rear speakers. I really like the rp402s with the bipolar design, but again that would be mixing premiere and non-premier. There doesn't seem to be any bipolar reference model, so I might have to stick with something like the r51m's. 

51 minutes ago, Jones said:

The 34's are identical materials to my 820F's but the 404's are different all around.

That can have some impact on matching speakers, and like You say, crossover frequency and frequency response, in this case sensitivity less so.

51 minutes ago, Jones said:

I might get the 404's (and maybe even the 52's) while they are on sale and then return the ones that are my least favorite.

That sounds like a good plan. Listen and decide what pleases You most and don´t concern yourself over the return of the center You don´t like. These speakers will be with you for some time and this way you won´t regret your purchase in the years to come.

• Like 1