Mortified..... where are the vocals???

Coytee

Was driving yesterday when I had a memory hit me.

A number of years ago, I was getting to know a new acquaintance better....  the budding stages of calling him a friend.  He was a musician (played upright bass) and had a TON of speakers/amps & other goodies in his condo.  He committed suicide while having my copy of a book in his possession.  While there to retrieve it, I visited with his niece who was his executrix and you could tell she was overwhelmed with all the "stuff" he had.  So, I offered to buy 100% of the speakers, amps, upright, guitars....  and put a lot of work into it to find a fair value for her and then showed her a discount amount because of the risk I was taking to buy it all blind.   She jumped at chance to move it all out.  (I could have probably paid her half of what I did and she'd been fine as to her it was all junk).  I sleep well at night that I did right by her.

One of the items in there were a pair of Khorns.  Someone off the forum (forget who) expressed an interest in buying them so, while I was over there one day picking up a load of stuff, I had him on the phone.  He was going to buy them and pick them up at the location so I didn't have to move them.

Thinking he might want to hear his new (yet unseen) babies sing, I put a system together, found a CD (George Harrison, All Things Must Pass) and put on one of my favorite tracks......'What is Life'.

Turned it up....music started.....and ZERO vocals.  I was mortified....absolutely panicked....  I was looking at the speakers, I was totally flummoxed......  The sound of the song came on strong and sounded fantastic....yet, there wasn't a single word uttered....  I looked again at the speakers, stuck my head by each driver and yes, I could hear sound.  Looked at the crossover (as though I knew what I was looking at!), checked wiring at the amps.....  finally, turned song off and did it again.....same thing.  How can the song sound so fantastic yet have a huge hole of all the vocals missing???  I was getting frantic.

Cutting to the chase a bit.....  I had no clue that the reissue of this CD had two versions of What is Life.  One was the original and the second was the same song with the vocals stripped out of it.  By happenstance, this is what I landed on.  What I also noticed is at the very beginning and if I recall (been years since I've listened to this, need to refresh) but as I recall, at the beginning of the song and beginning of a chorus line, you can faintly hear some background singing as it's then cut out.  It's very faint but discernible.

So I've just now taken 3 minutes of your life that you can never get back and you know a useless piece of drivel that you might not have known (or with the story and song, is that TWO pieces of drivel??)

One of our new forum members might stop by here this upcoming weekend to give the Jubilee's a listen....  I was (am) mulling over in the back of my head various things to play for him and that's when this memory came back.  I was deviously wondering if I could/should play that track and if he'd love the sound or be familiar enough with it to cause some concern that the mythic Jubilee's play everything except for vocals.

:emotion-14:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Nice story. Very inspiring. I want that CD. Next time I 'm going to a listening session before I buy a used amp or speakers, I'll ask them to play that CD. I will then point out there is something terribly wrong with the amp/speaker and I will start haggling...

• Haha 1

Yep.  He reached out to me and since I mentioned Buffalo, I thought he misconstrued that I lived in Buffalo.....  turns out he might be coming down this way to go hiking this upcoming weekend.  Given his description, he's on the hard core side of hiking.  For me, walking to/from the car is my daily hike!