Bikers, Ever Ridden a Bike That Scared You?

Ceptorman

27 minutes ago, billybob said:

This a photo of a CX 500 that buyer of my Honda Silver Wing stocker was after, or similar brat project. Notice the transverse cylinder head. Scary:

the CX500 was a Japanese   Moto Guzzi --1 big difference , Liquid cooled  ---

moto guzzi le mans KM22 custom café racer by kaffeemaschine

5 minutes ago, RandyH000 said:

the CX500 was a Japanese   Moto Guzzi --1 big difference , Liquid cooled , and a refined engine - balanced , no more shaky , shaky motor or clunky gears and valves ---

moto guzzi le mans KM22 custom café racer by kaffeemaschine

Yes, was a water buffalo.

Liked moto guzzi as well.

This a photo of a CX 500 that buyer of my Honda Silver Wing stocker was after, or similar brat project. Notice the transverse cylinder head. Scary:

honda_cx500_brat.jpg.74e8d5806bbd6f321ec67afc8f550b02.jpg

1978 Honda CX-500 was my first bike. I road it for 30 plus years. Liquid cooled and shaft drive. First bike I did over 100 mph on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, baron167 said:

1978 Honda CX-500 was my first bike. I road it for 30 plus years. Liquid cooled and shaft drive. First bike I did over 100 mph on.

The motor was still great and not smoking when I got it. No wonder it sold quickly. Only did 90 on this one. Cool

• Like 1

The motor was still great and not smoking when I got it. No wonder it sold quickly. Only did 90 on this one. Cool

Mine eventually had something brake in the engine’s bottom end. Sold it after moving it a few times. I was hoping to repair it. Realized I was never going to get to it. I was on a Suzuki Katana 600 for many years while I still had the Honda.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, baron167 said:

👍
Mine eventually had something brake in the engine’s bottom end. Sold it after moving it a few times. I was hoping to repair it. Realized I was never going to get to it. I was on a Suzuki Katana 600 for many years while I still had the Honda.

Maybe bound to happen one day after all that time. That Suzuki abit legend itself. That Honda had a good go at it... 

Disregard emoji prob...
😜

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

Agreed, and video doesn't do it justice of how fast they're going and how quickly things went sideways. Not sure how much skill vs luck was involved that he didn't get launched by a high-side.  

It can be hard to be sure which is the most important factor in a great save like that:  did he instinctively apply exactly the forces needed to recover control, or did he luck out and just happen to get bounced back onto the seat?

In an interview many years ago, Kenny Roberts explained his quick and correct reactions like this:  he imagines having a blackboard in his mind.  During his time on the bike, and off the bike cogitating about the many situations he encountered, he worked out the solution to nearly any problem that could arise.  In his mind, he then put the solutions in envelopes and put the envelopes on the blackboard.

Then, when a situation arose, like one time when his rear tire was starting to lose traction in a curve at 165 mph at a track in Italy (Monza?), he didn’t have to wonder what to do.  He had already worked it out.  All he had to do was grab the right envelope, and there was the solution.  This enabled him to react almost instantly, in nearly any situation.  He had already worked out what to do.  That would be the difference between trying to figure out what to do and already knowing what to do.  In that curve, Kenny wound up at nearly full lock before he was able to get the rear of the bike back where it belonged, but he got it right and kept on going.

Rossi trains hard to be always physically ready to respond to any situation (and of course he keeps all his many skills polished), while Roberts spent the time training mentally to be always ready.  This old bikes did not have the traction of the modern MotoGP bikes that can injure a rider without even crashing.  Kenny mentioned in an interview that this was the difference between the current bikes (which he had ridden briefly a few times) and the GP bikes in the Seventies and Eighties.  “Back then, we were sliding around all the time.”  This is how his dirt track experience was so helpful.

I’m not positive about this, but didn’t Kenny mentor Colin Edwards at least a bit during his time in MotoGP?  I think there was some connection between them.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

Not sure how much skill vs luck was involved that he didn't get launched by a high-side.  

There are a NUMBER of ways that could have turned out bad!

I was a motocross and hare scrambles guy, I raced for ten years.  You couldn't pay me enough money to ride that thing, or other go-fast things like it.  That video is why I think you RR guys are nuts! 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, RandyH000 said:

watch this --------a save in the rain

Geez, are you trying to give me nightmares?  I puckered up and nearly crapped myself just watching him save it. 

You could see once he was off the bike he couldn't back off the throttle as he was too far back and couldn't get enough leverage to uncoil his throttle hand.  And did you see him drop his head after he pulled to the side and remounted?  I know his legs were still shaking because mine were.

Sometimes almost crashing is worse than crashing.  😣

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wvu80 said:

I know his legs were still shaking because mine were.

unreal ,  he was  skating on the asphalt  supporting the weight of the bike under power , and his legs were just about to give out -

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

25 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

Geez, are you trying to give me nightmares?  I puckered up and nearly crapped myself just watching him save it. 

You could see once he was off the bike he couldn't back off the throttle as he was too far back and couldn't get enough leverage to uncoil his throttle hand.  And did you see him drop his head after he pulled to the side and remounted?  I know his legs were still shaking because mine were.

Sometimes almost crashing is worse than crashing.  😣

Nope, crashing is always worse.  It’s occasionally amusing, but mostly bad, and sometimes terrible.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1