Odd static in one channel, 5G?

mark heija

I'm considering upgrading my speaker wires  (from plain copper in clear plastic old Monster) to something shielded... I've recently started getting an odd, occasional static and/or whine. G5?? Starting to trouble shoot... distortion only in one speaker and even when volume is at zero. Any thoughts? 

I have a pair of '76 La Scalas where one is close to my Sansui 9090DB and the other is on the other side of the room 12' away. Will having one cable shorter than the other have any adverse effect?

I've been told they should be the same length but with the price of cables these days not sure I want to waste the money.

• Like 1

Do the easiest things first.  Swap output wires on the amp and see if the static sound switches speakers.  If it does, it's the amp.  If it doesn't, it's the speakers. 

You also reference both 5G and G5, not sure what you're referring to there. 

Can 5G transmissions be picked up by unshielded speaker cable? Thought I'd start with changing to shielded cables. Speakers have new crossovers from Bob Crites..

Recently had an overhaul of the Sansui. My tech says he replaced the usual time-sensitive components and the rest checked out fine. Because the random nature of the issue (some days perfect some days not)...

He believes it may be a leaky transistor and asked me to pull the U connector in back when hearing the static to help with his assessment of location.

I will give the current cables the swap also. Thanks!

Speaker wire length has no meaning in this universe. Meaning if one wire is to a speaker in this universe and the other goes to another speaker in another universe you might have a speaker wire length problem.:) But 12' difference in length is not an issue. Shielded speaker wire? What does the shield tie to?

I agree with all others here, do the simplest first. Swap the wires and see if the problem moves. And make sure all the connections in your new crossovers are tight.