Direct TV question (satellite alignment)

Coytee

Long story short, I accidentally whacked my dish and it wobbled... now I'm having issues pulling in HD channels.  SD seem to come in ok.....

Isn't there a beeper that plays where I can try to self align or do I need a service call?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Coytee said:

Long story short, I accidentally whacked my dish and it wobbled... now I'm having issues pulling in HD channels.  SD seem to come in ok.....

Isn't there a beeper that plays where I can try to self align or do I need a service call?

There should be a signal that turn solid. On both dish/ direct. Probably just the pole moved slightly. Torpedo level 90 degrees apart should help relevel.

Take it is a pole mount.

Otherwise if bumped just reflector, you will need a 7/16 wrench typically. You want to shoot for a 100 signal  although

95 is decent enough usually for cloud/rain.

BTW, watch out for wasps...

I've found the signal meters (I SPECIFICALLY asked the dufas about this not once, but TWICE....  first he says they have it, then changed answer...  )

Anyway, seems there are different transponders.  I'm not sure what is what yet buy the primary (default) transponder is in the mid 90's which is good.  The second one is like 24.  Fortunately, I've got a TV in the bedroom so can hear it through window (I think)

I was on a bucket lift doing some stuff to outside of house.  Dish is probably 25 feet off the ground.  The stupid lift caught the corner because of how it flexed and gave the dish a smack upside the head.

• Like 1

Hmmm....  question....

If the 2nd transponder is my issue, would it follow that if I can pull it in at say, 90 and it fixes my HD signal, that the SD signal should also be good OR, is there a dual aim and you have to find a sweet spot for both?

• Like 2

Things have gotten a little more complicated over time. You need to align the dish to probably 3 satellites. I highly doubt you can get all of them to 90+ percent. A slight rotation of the dish left or right might get you back to talking to the different satellites. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes it happens. Carefully and without hurting self. have another if there or look at the screen and if mount still tight, without loosening dish bolts, flex theflimsy like dish paying attention to the low reading on other satellite. This will let you know if needs adjusting very slightly using the bolts slightly loosened, in case the best signal is side to side. You should mark j mount with marker for any other up and down tweak as well, so as to refind sat if lost.

Well....  I'm willing to suspect that I hit the LNB (if that's what you're calling the feed horn)  I don't think I hit the dish itself.

I was up at the peak of the house on the bucket-lift so it was extended.  I was rotating it as slow as I could towards the house (and a window) so was trying to be careful however, because of the bounce in the now extended long arm, it gave me a bit of a whip over.....  slapped the dish, then settled back to where I wanted it.

Oops.

These things can be very springy.

• Like 1

If you find the beep, it may start as a solid signal that sounds higher as signal goes up. When you select the low channel that is low, it may just beep until goes higher.

Keep it simple and if you peak one, the rest of sat will follow unless...

• Like 1

The fact that you are still on the one and shows that may be just a very slight lovetap.

Unless you happened to look at the screen shot of the menu search screen at the time and wrote down the 95 and other sat reading at  installation or since, no way of knowing if have been suffering from nonpeaked signal.

Pixelization and slight rain or cloud would give that indication.  Of course, clear line of sight helps.

Took another ride up, had to move the base.  Meter was on about 23 when I started.  I grabbed dish a bit and gently twisted to right and signal shot up to mid 90's.  Put a slight push on it in that direction....let it settle down.

So far, everything seems to be working fine including HD channels.

Looking like the collective brain power willed it to happen!  Everyone can go enjoy their favorite 15 minutes of Maris Osmond while downing a diet 'Ensure' to maintain a balanced daily diet and good movement.