Outlaw 2200 or 2220?

mprowland

I'm currently looking for an amp to power 3-5 channels.  I currently have RF-7ii's and RC-64ii for the fronts and RS-3's for the rears.  For subs, I have a SVS SB-2000 and an Outlaw x12-Ultra.  The AVR is a Denon x3300w. I'm using 2-channel Parasound HCA1200ii for the Rf-7iis.  I like the amp, it's just getting a little long in the tooth and it doesn't have any remote trigger capability.  I'd also like to put my center channel on an amp.  I was originally looking at a new Outlaw 5000x but am worried that it's not beefy enough to keep up with my music habits.   On occasion, I blast music for 30seconds or so just to feel alive.  To go up 1-tier from this amp is literally doubling the money and getting a 3-5 channel Emotiva or Monolith.  Does anyone have experience with the mono blocks from Outlaw?  They are $399 a piece but 3 can be bundled for $999.  They almost always have a Black Friday deal which would even further lower the cost.  I like the idea of mono blocks but am not sure if they can provide the amperage needed during impedance dips.  I wouldn't mind buying a used 3-5 channel amp, I'm just worried about the need to replace all the caps depending on age.  Thanks for any input...

Mark

17 minutes ago, mprowland said:

I was originally looking at a new Outlaw 5000x but am worried that it's not beefy enough to keep up with my music habits.   On occasion, I blast music for 30seconds or so just to feel alive. 

With these test results I doubt there would be a problem.

https://www.audioholics.com/amplifier-reviews/outlaw-5000/measurements

Bill

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, willland said:

With these test results I doubt there would be a problem.

https://www.audioholics.com/amplifier-reviews/outlaw-5000/measurements

Bill

If this is the case, is there even a reason to get an Emotiva or Monolith or does the sensitivity of Klipsch in general make large amps pointless?

3 minutes ago, mprowland said:

If this is the case, is there even a reason to get an Emotiva or Monolith or does the sensitivity of Klipsch in general make large amps pointless?

I would not say pointless but not really necessary either.  With that said, I have been driving my RF-63/RC-64/RS-35 combo with 200w/ch Acurus amps for over 9 years.

Bill

My only reservation on 5000x is that some users said they didn't notice much of a difference between the amp and the AVR. Who knows if they can even "hear" a difference. My wife didn't notice when I hooked up the Parasound instead of the Denon, I DEFINITELY noticed it! I emailed Outlaw themselves and asked the same question and they said, "save your money and get the 5000x". I have a rather large room and hate buyer's remorse.  I have a few weeks until Black Friday so I'll continue to research. Thanks for your input!!!