KP-260

Dave A

Hi @Dave A

Note: I am French, so be careful if my English is misleading, looking at the diagrams will be explicit, thank you.

To let some energy pass through the top of the spectrum, you have to put a capacitor on the 10ohm resistor. The value will be to try and choose according to the desired effect, the higher the value will be (for example 1uF) and the more you will increase the treble at a low frequency (for example 10KHz). The lower the value will be (for example example 0.22uF) the more you will increase the treble at a high frequency (for example 15KHz).

Try capacitors of 1.5, 1.0, 0.82, 0.68, 0.56, 0.47, 0.33, 0.22, 0.1 ...

Note: to refine the value you should know the impedance (and or its curve) of the HF 8 or 16 ohm driver, or better measure the influence of the capacitor, but you can test very well by ear and choose what you like.

c6ot.jpg

In this second example we still have the capacitor to let energy pass up to the treble, but we want to temper its effect a bit so that the treble is less strong. In this case we put a resistance so that less treble does not pass, but always more than before.

Try resistance of 8.2, 6.8, 5.6,4.9, 3.9, 3.3,2.2, 1.2, ... ohms

wk97.jpg

On ‎11‎/‎3‎/‎2020 at 3:39 PM, Dave A said:

On a KP-260 its range is 50hz to 15khz. What do I change on the crossover to jump it up to say 18khz+?

KP-260A.pdf 277.49 kB · 9 downloads

Considering the kp-260 uses the mid horn and diaphragm from several speakers of the era like Chorus II, forte II & Quartet as its "upper end" that have trouble reaching 7khz with no upper end cut off in the crossover I'd say its a miracle it makes it to 15khz--

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, jjptkd said:

Considering the kp-260 uses the mid horn and diaphragm from several speakers of the era like Chorus II, forte II & Quartet as its "upper end" that have trouble reaching 7khz with no upper end cut off in the crossover I'd say its a miracle it makes it to 15khz--

The kp260 likely has a titanium mid diaphragm to reach 15k.

Hey all thanks for the replies. I was thinking about making a new box for these and using the guts in the new box. I am relieved of this though as a forum member is coming by to get them today. I will make sure he knows of this thread though and will no doubt check in so don't stop with suggestions please. He also gets my stash of Altec A7 boxes and parts which is good because I sure don't need all these projects sitting around. I have more than I can handle right now.

• Like 1