Made in America?

JayGeezy

I have an acquaintance who produced a photography coffee table book about Rock City. It was printed in  Belgium, and shipped here. Beautiful and competitively priced. Who would have guessed that?

GE, owned by the Chinese, has a plant in Lafayette, GA, makes appliances that are shipped TO China... who would have thought that?

• Moderators
46 minutes ago, Marvel said:

I have an acquaintance who produced a photography coffee table book about Rock City. It was printed in  Belgium, and shipped here.

The Museum was working on a book that is now in holding pattern(Covid) that was going to be printed in Genoa, Italy, same sort of situation. 

Pleased to report that the 75th Anniversary of Klipsch book that the Museum is doing was researched, produced (and will be printed) in the USA

• Like 1

On 1/11/2021 at 8:38 AM, geezin' said:

Cost of a loaf of bread in Beijing is 10.84¥. In Los Angeles it's $3,34 about twice the cost. Overall consumer prices are 90% higher in the US. SO that's not all that awful.

I've no idea on how to figure the cost of shipping but it cannot be that cheap unless you're moving a lot of product.

Of the 18 Klipsch speakers in my home, only three of them (RF-7 III's / RC-64 II) were made in Hope, Arkansas. All others made in China.

That is not to say China cannot make good speakers (or other high end products), because we love our RP-160M's.

It is a matter of economics, and competing for survival in the modern world.

My wife and I always buy Made In USA if that is an option.

• Like 1

On 1/10/2021 at 8:47 PM, geezin' said:

Just how cheap is Chinese labor that it's still cheap even shipping product 7,000 miles?

John Deere used to manufacture a series of excavator parts in the U.S. Ship them over to china to be assembled and ship them back to the U.S for sale and it was still cheaper than assembling them here in the U.S.

• Like 1

just about every Major Manufacturer in the USA and Europe , opens a plant in China    but the Money they are saving comes at a huge price , any Manufacturer who opens a plant in China have to give up , and share their technology with the CCP , , and they can only use the Land, for  a number of  years  lease , the State owns everything -

I really try to buy Made In USA....  specifically with tools and audio gear.   My new Forte IV were obviously made with love by the fine folks in Hope.   Thank you to everyone on the production line that made these for me.   The fit and finish is excellent,  as it should be .   I was expecting a lot for my $$$ and you guys delivered.  They are awesome !!!      

My other gear made in USA:

Conrad Johnson Classic 2SE pre 

Quicksilver Mid Monos

Quicksilver Headphone Amp

Grado RS 2e

Equi Tech son of Q

AQ and  Nordost  Cables

• Like 1

I can remember touring the factory in the early seventies and my tour guide pointed out a pallet of Russian plywood. He said it was used on inner linings on the corner horns and the La Scala’s. It was basically 1/2 inch but twice as strong as American 3/4 inch but it was acoustically superior because the surface was more consistent!

(Thanks Jim Parker)

Oh I’m a proud owner of a pair of almost 50 year old La Scala’s !

• Moderators
4 hours ago, Rob Mills said:

I can remember touring the factory in the early seventies and my tour guide pointed out a pallet of Russian plywood. He said it was used on inner linings on the corner horns and the La Scala’s. It was basically 1/2 inch but twice as strong as American 3/4 inch but it was acoustically superior because the surface was more consistent!

(Thanks Jim Parker)

Oh I’m a proud owner of a pair of almost 50 year old La Scala’s !

That would be "real" baltic birch.

Welcome to the Forum.

Pics of your LaScalas?

On 11/5/2020 at 11:30 AM, Zim. said:

Unfortunately, a case of wishful thinking.  Here's a snapshot of a label in one of my systems.  Purchased a year ago and shipped via  (out of) Hope.

DSC_0005.JPG

This is a moulded product, not a timber product... Hope is not a plastic manufacturing plant. Every other timber KPT product is made in Hope.