A/V Preamp advice

DirtyErnie

Looking to upgrade the home theater system, the goal is to multi-amp the speakers.  To do that, I'll need some sort of HDMI a/v preamp to hook up the Blue Ray & tv.

Anyone have a recommendation on something fairly affordable?

Probably going to have to be used, and as I upgrade the TV to something 4K, I'm willing to get an outboard box to handle that much data, so standard 1080 HD limit may be just fine.

Thanks!

The only place where I've seen actual technical performance testing on AVPs (in general) is on Audio Science Review: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?pages/Audio_Equipment_Reviews/.  There are 25 reviewed units to be found there, and note that many of the other models put out by the large electronics corporations reuse their basic designs, so some kind of inferences can be made about units not reviewed there in the same corporate lines.

If you're looking for "good enough" instead of "better" units, any of the AVPs found on Accesories4Less (https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/category/audioamps/home-audio/receivers-amps/processors-power-amps/1.html) will give you a refurbished AVP for a fraction of the retail price, and in my experience, most of the AVPs carried by them are in like-new condition (refurbished).  I bought an AVP 12 years ago from them that still works quite well (top-of-the-line Onkyo AVP) for half price.

Otherwise, you can check Hi-Fi Shark and US Audio Mart, or even craigslist or ebay will have used units, sometimes at very low prices.  Note that staying away from the latest technology (i.e., Atmos, 4K capability, etc.), the prices very reasonable.  It's those latest features (not the real performance) that drive the cost. 

Chris

• Like 2

1 hour ago, pbphoto said:

Dedicated AVP's are very expensive and go out-of-date every 18 months or so.  Unless you are really really into HT and multi-channel music, I would get a Japanese AVR with multi-channel pre-outs and connect to the amp(s) of your choice.

I second that.  It may sound backwards but a used higher end receiver will be a lot less expensive than a standalone pre amp.  Plus, you'll have way more to choose from.

I would suggest looking at accessories4less.com and checking out their factory refurbished receivers.  They regularly have 30-75% off higher end receivers that will work perfect for what you're wanting to do.