2 Way Klipsch La Scala

Robbie010

I'm starting out on the road to going active using DSP on my La Scala and was looking at the option of going 2 way with a different mid-range driver/horn.

However, I'm really not in to breaking the proportions of the la scala in huge way so the K402 horn is definite no! 😄

What other Horn / driver combos would offer a sonic improvemnt when going 2 way without breaking the proportions / aesthetic?

The Altec 511B may be an option..... any others?

The Klipsch K-510 is a good candidate.

It is modified tractrix design with a 2 inch throat. Overall the size is 15 in wide x 9 in tall x 5 in deep. It is a CD horn and can be used  in a two-way system (it is the same design family as the big K-402). In the spirit of full-disclosure. I am biased and I also have a pair of these listed in the Garage Sale forum.

-Tom

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, PrestonTom said:

It is modified tractrix design with a 2 inch throat. Overall the size is 15 in wide x 9 in tall x 5 in deep. It is a CD horn and can be used  in a two-way system (it is the same design family as the big K-402). In the spirit of full-disclosure. I am biased and I also have a pair of these listed in the Garage Sale forum.

-Tom

The 501 looks promising..... shame I'm on the other side of the pond!!

Would something like this works just as well:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Replacement-Horn-KLIPSCH-for-K510-Speaker-Cabinet-15-x-9-Bolt-On-2-90-x-60/333537431240?hash=item4da8614ec8:g:8pYAAOSwQNNeYpIy

Interesting question on that eBay horn.

Two points. 1) the more recent version of the K-510 horn now has a different shape (incorporating the "mumps"). Mumps will help control the dispersion and perhaps the horn loading to a lower frequency. There may be some other advantages. 2) the horn listed on eBay is described as a clone of the Klipsch K-510 (supposedly the previous version without the "Mumps"). Other than some similarities  with the overall size, I have yet to be convinced that it actually is a clone of the K-510. Please remember that I do not possess one of these, I have not measured one of these, and that others will disagree with me. You will need to come to your own conclusion. 

Good luck,

-Tom

39 minutes ago, PrestonTom said:

-Tom

What PrestonTom said.  Especially (in my opinion) if you are sitting on axis.  When I heard them side by side, I couldn't tell much of a difference when head on to them HOWEVER, when sitting off to the side, the difference was substantial...  so if you ARE off axis....the benefit of the 402 is it's going to give you better sound over a wider area.

I was going to use a 510 as a center channel in between two 402's but seems that project has been shelved.

1 hour ago, Robbie010 said:

The 501 looks promising..... shame I'm on the other side of the pond!!

Would something like this works just as well:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Replacement-Horn-KLIPSCH-for-K510-Speaker-Cabinet-15-x-9-Bolt-On-2-90-x-60/333537431240?hash=item4da8614ec8:g:8pYAAOSwQNNeYpIy

That horn is an exact copy of the older k-510 klipsch horn I have a few pairs myself and a pair of original klipsch versions I have compared them side by side and posted several pictures on this forum they are identical in every way with the exception of the serial number stamp. They are identical. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Robbie010 said:

Those are nice. What drivers fit?

1 minute ago, KROCK said:

Those are nice. What drivers fit?

They have drivers with them. 

From what I can tell they are re-badged JBL 2425 drivers. Not sure what make / model the horn flares are but the add suggests they are 500hz. 

Would these be any good for going 2 way with the la scalas!??

Let me be a bit of a wet blanket.

My friendly advice is that you first decide the following.  1)  Is this going to be a two-way or three-way system? 2) Is a controlled dispersion design important to you? 3) partly as a function of #2 - are you willing to use an active DSP crossover.

This should determine the horn(s) that you use. Please note that if you start experimenting with various driver/horn combinations you will not be able to use a known (and proven) analog crossover, they may or may not work very well and designing your own is harder than it looks. 

I would first consider the above design issues and proceed accordingly. Otherwise you are stuck with a design based on "someone on the internet said it sounded good". There are a number of good Altec, JBL and Klipsch designs that you could copy and integrate with your bass bin.

Good luck and please consider the above three questions first,

-Tom

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, PrestonTom said:

Let me be a bit of a wet blanket.

My friendly advice is that you first decide the following.  1)  Is this going to be a two-way or three-way system? 2) Is a controlled dispersion design important to you? 3) partly as a function of #2 - are you willing to use an active DSP crossover.

This should determine the horn(s) that you use. Please note that if you start experimenting with various driver/horn combinations you will not be able to use a known (and proven) analog crossover, they may or may not work very well and designing your own is harder than it looks. 

I would first consider the above design issues and proceed accordingly. Otherwise you are stuck with a design based on "someone on the internet said it sounded good". There are a number of good Altec, JBL and Klipsch designs that you could copy and integrate with your bass bin.

Good luck and please consider the above three questions first,

-Tom

Thanks Tom.

As mentioned in my original post, the reason for the question is that I am looking to go down the DSP route and I am interested in converting my la scala to a two way. However, I am limiting this query for aesthetic reasons to a horn flare that does not break the proportions if the la scala in a major way. 

I know you said no k402, but....mine takes up no more floor space than your Lascalas, and could replace them...if you like to build your own.dd1e88f37cb2c4423726aecad17267b4.jpg

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

Consider the venerable ALTEC Mantaray MR II 594!  I bought 2 pair from Mike ColterPhoto,

A/B comparison w/511B/802D vs. 594/908-8B,  on A7 828 cabs w/N500-8A crossovers.

5 guys ran outside -  "What did you DO?"  I hot-swapped HF, absolutely amazing what

50 years of engineering, research & development does for the audible results.

I couldn't agree more - personally I discovered those Altec horns by accident - a small MRII 564 came first - and instantly replaced the 511 - then I upgraded to a 594 - and now I am the happy user of the 945A - but not on a Klipsch bass bin anymore - as my living room does not have two proper corners.