Audyssey crossover settings question

djphllps

I have an x2600h reciever rp500c,rp500m,BIC acoustech pl-200,and for 2 surrounds and 2 front heights I'm using the quintet 5.0 surrounds. So 5.1.2.  Now to the point.  I did my audyssey setup today and I noticed that it set my crossovers to some odd settings that were in most cases lower than that the speakers are rated for.  I put them to match what their minimum frequency response ratings suggest manually but I'm wondering if that is something I'm not supposed to do. I set the 500m to 40 500c to 60 the quintets to 110 and the BIC to 80(seems to blend well there).  Anyone able to give me some guidance here.  Thanks in advance.

Edited by djphllps

Don't trust a computer algorithm to adjust your system use your ears!  Use the pink noise generator and listen as you move speaker to speaker.  You can use it to maybe get a baseline then tweak and adjust from there.  Speakers with smaller drivers will obviously need a higher crossover point.  Keep in mind the crossover slopes are 12db and the roll off will not be instantaneous so even at 80Hz expect frequencies down to 68Hz.  

• Like 1

Some suggest setting the crossover point to 10Hz higher than the -3dB low end that your speakers are rated for.  But, like Frzninvt, it is best to let your ears decide.  When I had receivers with things like Audyssey I used them for level matching but adjusted the crossover points by ear.

• Like 1

There are many reasons why any auto room correction system can get things a bit wrong, one of which is boundary gain, which can often lead the system to think a small speaker is bigger and can dig lower than it actually is and can. If I were you, I'd start out at around 80Hz and then adjust as you see fit from there. 40 sounds a bit low for the 500m's, but if it sounds good, then that's great. For what it's worth, I usually end up with my crossover settings at around 10Hz higher than my speakers' low end rating, so that could be a safe bet if you are battling to hear the differences. 

Update: I just realized that my last statement above is not quite correct. I set the crossover to 10Hz above the lower end rating if the low end rating is above 80Hz, but otherwise I set it to 80Hz. In other words, I don't have any of my crossover points set below 80Hz... for better or worse... 🙂

• Like 1