Cornwall II Serial # Question

RobC63

Recently acquired my first vintage Klipsch speakers, a pair of Cornwall II's that I believe are from 1971, according to the serial #s (2J165 / 2J166)...

Am I correct on the year? 

Slightly confused as I thought I read somewhere that Cornwall II's didn't come out until the 1980's..?

Thanks for the help!

IMG_7633A.png

Edited by RobC63

Thanks to all for the help!

Yeah, I thought I was decoding the serial #'s correctly... just got a little mixed up with that whole 'reintroduction' of the II's much later on.

I lucked into my fully functional Cornwalls for just $50 (see attached photo of the original ad that I kept to prove I'm not BS-ing) and had to pick them up - 4 hour round trip - in a convertible (!) because I was afraid that if I went home to get my truck first they would be gone.

'71 Verticals, Walnut Oiled finish, supposed to have had black cloth over the motorboards (I can see a couple of tiny swatches left around the corners) and all original drivers except someone installed subwoofers in place of the K-33 drivers.

Plans for these include:

1) replacing those subs w/ period - correct K-33's (already on their way from eBay);

2) either recapping the original Xovers or getting replacements from Bob Crites;

3) fabbing removable grilles out of Masonite (going with an 'ivory' cloth to contrast the walnut veneer);

4) refinishing the cabinets;

5) fabbing 2" risers

Once I get started on the project I will start a new thread for the renovation

Even now I am absolutely LOVING the sound out of these things 👍

117125636_10224239153677400_756458085889197056_o.jpg

117117501_10224239156677475_3980799108359650052_o.jpg

It was odd, because the seller was the original owner (his son swapped in the subs) and he knew what he had... he just thought that, in this day of Bluetooth and earpods, etc. there would no longer be any interested in such large speakers. He even said if no one took them they were going to the landfill (!)

Of course, he was dead wrong... by the time I got to his place, he told me that had gotten over 50 calls and texts looking to buy these. Luckily I Venmo-ed the $$$ immediately; and luckily he was a decent guy in honoring our deal - despite getting significantly higher offers while I was on the way to his place.