What veneer was under these?

TJman

2 hours ago, jorjen said:

MDF in 1987?

Ummmm........NO!

Forte 1   and Heresy 2  were  introduced in 85 ,  both were MDF

as per @HDBRbuilder-------Forte 1 speakers  --and  I quote   "  Oiled walnut veneer laminated to MDF substrata is the materiel the cabinets are made out of. "

Here are  2 threads and 3 brochures from klipsch -

https://d2um2qdswy1tb0.cloudfront.net/product-specsheets/Heresy-II-Specs.pdf?mtime=20160411163209&focal=none

https://d2um2qdswy1tb0.cloudfront.net/product-specsheets/forte-brochure.pdf?mtime=20160322111219&focal=none

http://images.klipsch.com/CornwallIIBrochure_635042119987220000.pdf

19 hours ago, geoff. said:

..ya, I’m sure these weren’t MDF.

3F4B7CDA-85F9-4E71-BCA6-DFE49A38311A.jpeg

--the wood panel in this picture is MDF -------there is no wood grain - but the Crossover's wood board is plywood as one can see the  wood grain-

• Thanks 1

I have this pair of CW2's and my pair of CW3's. I will give you my listening impressions, but keep in mind these are stock CW2's with original caps and relatively new CW3's (2018). The 3's sound sharper for sure, and do put more of an edge on music than the 2's do. The 2's seem more dynamic to me and rich especially in the mid to high range. I can hear things in the 2's that I don't hear in 3's I can hear things in the 3's that I don't hear in the 2's. It might be a better test once I upgrade the caps in the 2's, overall I enjoy the sound of both pairs. 

These were the first grilles I have ever restored, so it was a learning process for me. I think the cane fabric from Crites helped, as it is not stretchable at all. I laid the fabric out on the floor, sprayed the whole front of the grille frame with 3M 77 spray adhesive and laid it on the fabric. It dried in a few minutes, then I worked on folding the sides in. There is a technique to it, I found that using too much glue made the drying time very long, and not using enough and it wouldn't adhere, so it was definitely trial and error but it came out great on both grilles so no complaints!

Overall I would say this was about a 20 hour project - but with a lot of waiting time in between (chemical stripping dry time, each coat of tung oil takes 24hr to dry, etc)

25 minutes ago, TJman said:

I have this pair of CW2's and my pair of CW3's. I will give you my listening impressions, but keep in mind these are stock CW2's with original caps and relatively new CW3's (2018)

the  only modification , I would do on the CW II  is to add a larger k 61  mids horn   from a Chorus II  or an even bigger mids horn from a CF-4  or a KLF-30    -no need to change the driver or the Crossover or the Tweeter , the motorboard has tons of room  under the tweeter --

the  only modification , I would do on the CW II  is to add a larger k 61  mids horn   from a Chorus II  or an even bigger mids horn from a CF-4  or a KLF-30    -no need to change the driver or the Crossover or the Tweeter , the motorboard has tons of room  under the tweeter --

Im surprised that this modification would not warrant a change in the crossover. the K-61 is a much larger horn than the stock CWII horn. Just curious, how is this possible?

• 3 weeks later...