Replacing K-500 horn with K-510 ebay horn

avguytx

I've been pondering this for sometime now and had questions for those in the know. I would have to believe that the K-510 would be a better mid horn, but, it also depends on what I'd have to do crossover wise as I don't have any interest in bi or tri-amping to use them.  I would like to improve the midrange area as it seems to be restrictive with the K-500.

Again, no interest in multi-amps, DSP, K-402's, etc. I would like to be able to keep the A-55G's and CT-120's, too.  If it can work, I'd build new side pieces and veneer them plus new grills to keep the look similar to what i have now. If it can't be done reasonably, then I'll scrap that plan and leave them as they are. 

8 hours ago, avguytx said:

Crickets... 

You can use the 2"- 1-3/8's treaded adapter on the 510 and still keep the A55-g's, same adapter that people use on the elliptical horns. The eBay clones are relatively cheap might be worth it to give it a try and see what you think yourself, I probably wouldn't do any cabinet modifying though until you've had a chance to listen for awhile.

• Like 1

I seem to recall Justinsweber saying that he thought the K-510 would be an excellent choice for a passive 3-way system. 

jjptkd’s idea with the adapters would be a reasonable foray into the experiment.

If your mock up winds up knocking your socks off you could eventually put 2” drivers on it down the road and see what that’s all about too.

Even with the K-55s I think you are on to something here.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jjptkd said:

You can use the 2"- 1-3/8's treaded adapter on the 510 and still keep the A55-g's, same adapter that people use on the elliptical horns. The eBay clones are relatively cheap might be worth it to give it a try and see what you think yourself, I probably wouldn't do any cabinet modifying though until you've had a chance to listen for awhile.

Thanks for that info....that's what I was looking for.  Yeah, I wouldn't "commit" to the full build until I could tinker and see how they performed.  Who knows...might even leave the tops off then time align the mid and tweeter.  That's a thought.

4 hours ago, geoff. said:

I seem to recall Justinsweber saying that he thought the K-510 would be an excellent choice for a passive 3-way system. 

jjptkd’s idea with the adapters would be a reasonable foray into the experiment.

If your mock up winds up knocking your socks off you could eventually put 2” drivers on it down the road and see what that’s all about too.

Even with the K-55s I think you are on to something here.

True.  Even in the beginning when I built them, there were plans I used as a reference that showed using a K-510 in the top section...maybe with a tweeter, maybe not.  But, I would have thought it possible to do in a 3-way as long as there wasn't any major bad side to using the smaller throat A-55G's for the time being.  And I agree, a 2" driver would be better eventually.

Thank you sir.

Is there any apparent downside to using these horns when I'm sitting about 10 feet back from the speakers? I use the Belle clones on the long wall as they sounded better being 10 to 12 feet back from them versus being on the short wall (15 feet across) and having a 30 foot room to fire into.  Most any speakers on that wall have sounded a little off 

I sit pretty much nearfield (equilateral triangle 8' with the speakers 2' from the back wall in the corners) with the 510s on my FH-1s in a 2-way passive and they are awesome.

On a similar path, I just bought a pair of AB-2 crossovers on Ebay to try in a 3-way with a folded horn bass bin.

The entire reason for the Belle crossovers was the 500hz transition. None of the 2" drivers I'm privy to will cut it crossed below 500hz passive.

Then after more reading (on here) I find the AB-2 is the same as the AL-3 minus the tweeter protection. And the AL-3 crosses at 400hz.

It turns out, as also mentioned on the ALK site, the horn used determines the crossover.

So that diversion was on hold, until now!

Because by using the K-55s (what certified Klipsch fan doesn't have a spare set of K-55s) anyway there is no worry of damaging the driver, they are good at the lower crossover point, 350 in a K-horn!

Without this thread the lightbulb over my head would have stayed off a little longer.

Ima get me some adapters, STAT!

I wonder if the added length of the horn adapter brings the Fc of the K510 lower?

This has really gotten exciting.

• Like 3