Speaker Recommendation, Please

drysideshooter

Hello All. New member.  I am in the process of setting up a new listening area.  I'm a builder and developer, and when we built our current home I knew our daughter would be off to college.  We completely sound insulated her room. The room is 12x18 with 9' ceilings that are coffered up to 9'6 in the center.  It is carpeted,  drywall.  My wife wants to leave a queen bed in the room, but other than that, there won't be any furniture.  We have a home theater system in the great room, which is fine for casual music listening, with small speakers and a sub.  My wife isn't open to the idea of adding floor standers, and it's a 24x30 room with 11' ceilings and a large wall of glass.  The soon to be vacant room is my best chance for a listening space. I currently use a variety of nice headphones and headphone gears. Anxious to have a decent speaker setup again. 

I haven't settled on an amp and dac yet.  I am wanting to let my speaker choice somewhat dictate that.  I primarily listen to streamed or stored high res music, and may add a turntable in the future.  I listen predominantly to blues, from vintage to modern.  Also some classic rock, Led Zep, Clapton, etc., and some rockabilly.  I enjoy the detail of high res music, being able to pick out individual instruments, subtle sounds.  I'm thinking of a stereo amp or integrated amp with around 50w per channel into 8ohms.  The initial setup will be the amp with a preamp, or an integrated amp, a separate DAC, probably a Schitt.  a laptop for streaming, and speakers.  I anticipate the speakers being 6-8' apart, and my listening position being 8' or so from the speakers.   The amps I've considered so far have been Cambridge, Schitt, Emotiva,  the Outlaw RR2160 and a few others. Mostly in the $500- $1,100 dollar range.  

I don't have a Klipsch dealer anywhere close to me, so auditioning is probably a bit out of the question.  I'm leaning towards RP-600M's on stands.  I'd prefer floor standing, but with a relatively small room I don't want to overwhelm the space.  I'm not opposed to used.  A lot of blues fans seem to enjoy some of the older Klipsch's.  The RP-800F seems like it could work, but I worry that it may be too much speaker for the room.  I don't enjoy an over abundance of bass.  I enjoy accuracy with enough bass, but don't like overdone bass, especially when it's boomy.  I'd prefer to stay at 1k or less for a pair.

Any and all advice or thoughts, including amps for specific speakers, would be genuinely appreciated.  

@drysideshooter,

Welcome to the forum.

I don't think floorstanders will overwhelm an almost 2000ft3 room unless they are the size of refrigerators.  Maybe look at the RP-6000Fs instead if you have concerns.  Also, you control the volume knob so even if you opted for the larger RP-8000Fs, I do think room placement, toe-in, EQ(optional) will factor in.

Bill

• Like 1

Nice size room, and the higher ceiling is nice.

If the bed takes up too much floor space, talk your wife into getting a modern Murphy bed. Lots of good styles to choose from and it can make the room more music friendly.

... and welcome to the forums.

• Like 1

just get Powered speakers and save yourself a lot of trouble ----

Ha, my thoughts exactly. After drinking some infused water to hydrate after all that flexing, maybe think about the in wall installation missed opportunities before getting back to esthetics over quality. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Klipsch RP-600M has won awards and gotten rave reviews. Considering your listening position, speaker spacing, and self-admitted relatively small room, I'd recommend these, on stands, but you're already considering them so you're on the right track.

Add an SVS SB-1000 subwoofer. Its sealed design will provide the accurate bass you want without the bloat or boom. It's small enough to tuck away unobtrusively in a corner or under a coffee table. I have one paired with some Heresy II's and it's perfect.

Together you're out the door for under $900. Spend the remaining C-note on dinner with the wife.

I would look for an A/V amp. Then you can set the high pass frequency to the Klipsch speakers and use the subwoofer output on the amp directly to the sub. It's a cleaner setup wiring-wise, and prevents sending a full-range signal to the Klipsch's so they won't be over-driven.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Peter P. said:

The Klipsch RP-600M has won awards and gotten rave reviews. Considering your listening position, speaker spacing, and self-admitted relatively small room, I'd recommend these, on stands, but you're already considering them so you're on the right track.

(respectful snip, just wanted to reference the post)

Agree with everything Peter suggested just upstream ^^^.

I have also converted a small bedroom into a mancave, aka the computer room.  My favorite setup is with gigantic CF-4 speakers and a 15" DIY powered sub.  I do most of my listening through Youtube.

I wanted to try a new 100 wpc mini-amp (ahem, 40 or so watts realistically) so I set up the RP-600M and a powered Paradigm 10" sub, 250 wpc.  I used the high level inputs to the sub, then out to the 600M, 2.1 setup.  The speakers and sub is about six feet from my computer chair.  I don't have a picture.

This is an OUTSTANDING computer speaker setup.  I haven't switched back to the CF-4's yet which I love because I am really enjoying the 600M's.  These speakers play everything, in my case female vocals, male vocals, brass, organ, jazz, classical.  The sound is crystal clear, very full sound.

Questions?

5a5da46ced990_CF-4Computersetupright1.thumb.jpg.68053bc463f650c39d6fc1fc468dacc0.jpg

My wife wants to leave a queen bed in the room, but other than that, there won't be any furniture.

I reread the OP and didn't catch that the first time. I highly recommend you not do this. A queen bed in a room that size leaves little space for anything else. If you are forced down that road, I guess small monitors and a small sub would be your only recourse. Even then you are going to be very limited to where you can place the gear and where you can place your listening position.

Shakey

Thanks for the thoughts and advice everyone.  I ended up ordering a pair of RP-600m's.  I carved out a section of the room to use for listening.  It's about 9' wide by 12' deep and will just have my favorite chair situated on the centerline of the two speakers. I'm mess around with placement, toe in and such after I get everything set up.  I will make some accoustic panels if I need to   I'll probably move headphone amps and such into the room as well.  It's mostly a place to quietly read and listen to some music. Firearms, motorcycles and boats are my big hobbies and I already have a couple huge shops/man caves.  I'm looking forward to hearing the 600m's to see if they live up to the reviews that I've seen. At the current price they seem like a bargain.  

When our last kids moves out I'll have a 15x20 room to use for a dedicated listening room.  

Stay safe and healthy everyone. The help is genuinely appreciated.