Drone light shows???

DizRotus

The first time I saw, or was made aware, of drone light shows was the television coverage of the 2018 Winter Olympics in South Korea.  Last night, during the Biden event in Wilmington, DE, a fireworks display was augmented by amazing drone light shows.

A Google search led me to the web page below.  It answers most of my questions regarding drone light shows, except wind impact.  I assume that wind conditions must be relatively calm for 50+ drones to stay in precision flight to preserve the image and prevent collisions.  Apparently, computer programs enable the drones to make almost instantaneous tiny flight adjustments, similar to a flock of birds.

Does anyone here have first hand experience with sophisticated drone light shows?  If so, what are the issues regarding wind speeds?

In any case, I found the information at the  Verge Aero site interesting and informative.  Clearly, Verge Aero is promoting their business.  I have no connection to Verge Aero.

https://verge.aero/everything-about-drone-light-shows/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, DizRotus said:

Does anyone here have first hand experience with sophisticated drone light shows?  If so, what are the issues regarding wind speeds?

I'm sure there's a wind speed that they can't compensate for but each individual drone has the ability to hold a stationary position and adjust for wind. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DizRotus said:

what are the issues regarding wind speeds?

https://verge.aero/technology/

verge aero design studio

Professional Workhorse

• 20 minute flight time (15 minute shows with reserve)
  • Fly show in winds up to 25 MpH (40 Km/h)
  • Ultra-bright light source (900 lumens at full white)
  • Strong, carbon fiber frame
  • Precise positioning (10cm precision)
  • Multiple radios operating outside of crowded WiFi spectrum give operational flexibility and redundancy.
  • Fully scalable platform supports thousands of drones
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thought it was pretty cool the way things were done.  Clueless as to how it was all coordinated with the drones.  See what those video games and thinking outside the box does?  hahaha  Geez!  TazDom I was thinking about that too!  Who knows?   Thanks for the post Neil.  :)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

...back when I was playing with drones

saw a vid of a computer guided drone run thru some crazy obstacles.. they were working on drone swarms when I got  out. It's been several generation of drones now. The little ones were bleeding edge hobby stuff. Had to be near 10 years, now..

They are a lot of fun to fly. I did "sport flying"... not the spy in the sky stuff.  They are very quick...

notice in those specs @RandyH000 posted. 

Carbon frame   -- no biggie there.

20 min battery time -- same as what we had

Lights? I was stringing my own LEDS on them

Fly in 25mph wind AND hold position w/i 10cm.... Now you are talking some pretty serious performance

20min flight time doesn't  seem like much, until you fly one around. You'll be ready to relax after that. Requires a lot of attention to fly them. We didn't have FPV/ camera in ours and the little ones would disappear 30 or 40 feet from ya. Night flying was actually easier. With lights, you can see the craft a lot farther.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A bit of thread drift here.  The thread asked for first hand knowledge regarding precision drone light shows.  It is not about what happens when the kid next door flies his drone over your yard while you daughter is sunbathing.  A thread like that might be entertaining, but it isn’t responsive to the original post.

• Like 1

my bad... sorry

the light shows are a spin off of drone swarms.   With gps and altimeters and computer control, they are done. Some of the less sophisticated models available have an altimeter function. You can lock them in to a certain altitude.  My first hand knowledge of drones stops several years ago.

• Like 3

Thread drift? HA!  In here?  Nevah!  Reminds me of a story. 😂  1 Huey with 6 guys in it, 1 BC scope, 1 State Park lake & beach, 1 women's bath house w/no roof on it.  Yea, you got it workin already don't ya? 😂  Sorry bout the thread drift Neil.  I'll bring ya some brats next time we bump!  😂

• Like 2